The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

What tools to press on transmission bearings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

er82

Proven Member
Apr 18, 2014
Sacramento, California
How should I press on the transmission taper bearings without damaging the retainer? The service manuals has a bunch part numbers for different sleeve attachments to be used with a long hollow adapter for each bearing however I cant find where to buy them. I have a similar tool for a honda, but its different since it didnt have taper bearings. So what is the alternative or which tools should I use? I'm rebuilding the 1g manual transmission and transfer case.

Well, you can buy a bunch of exhaust transition tubes from a parts store.

I have a bunch of those, and I have a ton of dealer tools for doing bearing installs.

If you heat the bearings they drop right on. Do not use a torch! Some people use deep fryers on a low setting to heat the bearing.

Also, as mentioned above exhaust pipe works fine for bearings, they don't have a super tight fit, and it doesn't take earth crushing force to press them on.

getting the old ones off is the hard part

I take the old bearing and use the inner portion and some tubing. Be careful or you can accidently press the old race on also. You can grind it out a little before you press so it won't do this. I have a handful I keep around for just this purpose.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back