The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

What tool to use? Can't tighten 16g oil feed line.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelOfPassion

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 5, 2011
Mesa, Arizona
Hi guys,

So I've been doing my first turbo swap and everything has gone great except for this. No tool I have can fit into the groove where the oil feed line sits in between the compressor housing. I bought a short 17mm wrench and I can get it around the nut but the wrench is too wide and I can't turn it.

It's like I need a wrench that is skinnier this way:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I also saw this thread where someone was having the same problem but I can't find the tool that was suggested anywere at all. It seems like they don't make them anymore. It's a wrench that grabs two adjacent sides of the hex instead of two opposite sides if that makes sense. It looks like it will work but I can't find one. Here is the thread with a pic of it:

How to tighten oil feed line?

Anyone know any tricks to get in there? It's really pissing me off. :banghead:

I was also thinking about trying a "crow's foot" wrench but I'm worried they will be too wide as well just like a normal wrench. Any thoughts on that idea?

I just installed a -4an restrictor on my 14b with it installed on the car. All I did was used the box-end side of a 19mm and I got mine on and tight.It is a huge pita but you can do it. Goodluck

Had the same problem with my 16g install come to found out the threads were stripped on the fitting. I believe the size is a 17 or a 14?? Did it awhile ago, but I used the opened end of the wrench and make sure the wrench is short. If you want more leverage take the fans off, and loosen the coolant line on the turbo and push it down. Assuming that you have the manifold on also. It'll take awhile so be patient!

I can get the wrench in there and around the hex portion of the fitting. But once it's on I can't twist the wrench because the parts in red in the picture I posted hits the housing of the turbo. It's really annoying. With the turbo in/out of the car it's not possible. The turbo itself is blocking my wrench.

Edit: I can't use a socket because it's the line itself. Unless there is a 17mm socket that has an opening like the o2 sensor sockets do that wouldn't be possible.

I can get the wrench in there and around the hex portion of the fitting. But once it's on I can't twist the wrench because the parts in red in the picture I posted hits the housing of the turbo. It's really annoying. With the turbo in/out of the car it's not possible. The turbo itself is blocking my wrench.

Edit: I can't use a socket because it's the line itself. Unless there is a 17mm socket that has an opening like the o2 sensor sockets do that wouldn't be possible.

Use the other end of the wrench.

Use the other end of the wrench.

I'm assuming by that you mean with a double open ended wrench. All mine are sockets on the other side which won't work.

I'm also assuming with a double open ended wrench one side is "thinner" than the other. I'll have to look at those and see how much smaller they are than my 17mm wrench.

Any other ideas?

EDIT: @jjrock5
That would probably work! You say it is called a tubing wrench? I will try to find one of those around here! Thank you. I've been looking at all sorts of wrenches and can't find anything like that.

I'm assuming by that you mean with a double open ended wrench. All mine are sockets on the other side which won't work.

I'm also assuming with a double open ended wrench one side is "thinner" than the other. I'll have to look at those and see how much smaller they are than my 17mm wrench.

Any other ideas?

EDIT: @jjrock5
That would probably work! You say it is called a tubing wrench? I will try to find one of those around here! Thank you. I've been looking at all sorts of wrenches and can't find anything like that.

Also called a flare wrench.

Also check Sears:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-5-pc...00942013000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=54&blockType=G54

...you can also get a crows foot from HF, it's what I've used to tighten it up with the exhaust manifold installed. Just spin it as much as possible with your fingers, moving the SS line behind the fitting with your other had. Once you can't spin it with your fingers anymore it should only take another 90* to tighten it up with a wrench.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

:dsm:

Thanks, that looks like it will work if it is short enough.

...you can also get a crows foot from HF, it's what I've used to tighten it up with the exhaust manifold installed. Just spin it as much as possible with your fingers, moving the SS line behind the fitting with your other had. Once you can't spin it with your fingers anymore it should only take another 90* to tighten it up with a wrench.

Yeah I was going to try and pick up a set of crow foots. I was just worried they would be just as wide as the wrench end also and still not work for me. I'm going to look at those and the flare wrench's.

Thanks guys!

Every tool is different, I have a open end Crescent brand wrench that fits on that oil feed but my Craftsman open end won't. Craftsman also sells ratcheting open end box wrenches that may work, you just never know. :idontknow:

Craftsman 13 x 14 mm Open End Ratcheting Wrench

When you do find one that works don't lose it.

:dsm:

Last edited by a moderator:
I havent read the other posts, but if your doing it with the mani on, and stock fans.its a pita. I atleast removed the fan and with a open end wrench (with the one you pictured) I was able to get it tight, though I would tighten it, then flip the wrench the tighten it, then flip it and so on.

I made a line wrench for my fuel line on a bench grinder in less time than it took to tell about it. Also, if you have a cheap 17mm wrench, you can bend it into a 90 at the box end, then bend it into a 90 the opposite way for your very own 16g oil line wrench LOL

Thanks for the input guys. I would grind down one of my wrenches but I don't have a bench grinder.

@CDC Bending the wrench won't help, I can fit all my wrenches onto the bolt but the "pincher" part of the wrench is too big to allow it to twist.

@Corey That open ended ratcheting wrench is kinda cool. I guess it's between that one and the flare wrench kit. I might just buy both to make sure I can get this done. I'm tired of driving back and forth between my house and Lowes haha.

I wish this fitting was just slightly taller so it would clear the housing. Dumb thing is right in what seems like a canyon when I'm working on it. haha

Take the banjo bolt out and weld the head of another bolt onto it so it sticks out farther. That's what I did to the one on the back of my 16g many years ago. I think I was able to fit the box end of the wrench on afterwards...I might have flattened the wrench out to get rid of the angle...its been 5 years so my memory isn't the best...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back