The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

What to use for oil return line

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcmuscle3

Proven Member
Sep 18, 2013
Tazewell, Virginia
What do you guys use for an oil return line? Doesn't it need to be synthetic oil proof? I can't find much on this.

What turbo? For an MHI turbo upgrade, the stock line works fine in most cases with a little Ultra grey/black RTV (an oil resistant one) and the stock gaskets.

I went to a local industrial supply and got 1ft of 3/4" ID silicone hose for $10. I cut it to fit and hose clamped it to the ends of the fittings on the turbo and oil pan. Plain rubber hose won't last long!!!

I used a 2g oil return for the pan and cut it to leave 1.25" of pipe. I'm not positive what I used for the turbo side. I think I welded the other end of the 2g return to a flange I fabbed to fit the turbo oil outlet...

thanks, I pretty much all i need is to find a good rubber hose to use for the piece in between the fittings. Something that wont melt, or chemicals wont erode.

There is hose out there that is safe to use with oil, high temps, and pressure (not to worried about pressure but it's included). I use Aeroquip hose brand it is a black hose safe to use for oil and high temps. Gates also makes similar hose for oil, high temp, and pressure.

Just because some people can't use RTV doesn't mean it everybody isn't capable of using it.

I think you have it backward, there might be some people that can use it correctly but too many seem to think it's magic glue.

You don't need RTV to get the drain to seal. The factory gasket and crush washers have worked fine for 23 years for me.

Just because some people can't use RTV doesn't mean it everybody isn't capable of using it.
You'd be surprised of how the vast majority MIS-uses the product. In fact, it's probably the most misused automotive products on the market.

Just a few days ago, an Evo III 16G I rebuilt for a customer came in with RTV all over the oil inlet fitting which the owner had apparently used to either stop a minor leak or prevent the fitting from leaking. You guessed it- some of the RTV made it's way into the compressor-side journal and blocked off the oil supply entirely, causing the turbo to fail.

In this case the RTV was used to substitute the lack of a copper sealing washer...so it was grossly misused.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back