The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G What to look out for to avoid being stranded?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randizzle420

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 20, 2009
El Centro, California
What are some things that I need to look out for, inspect, or just replace aside from the timing belt? My old 96 gsx the alternator relay died and left me stranded on the side of the highway. Was surprised something that small could ruin my day. I just picked up a 95 gsx 5 speed with 160k miles. I was told the engine and transmission were recently rebuilt. What do I need to do to make this car bulletproof as far as reliability? I don't really have a budget but I don't want to waste money either.

I think that is a magic question we’d all want to know the answer to...
To your experience, charging and starting are basics that will definitely strand you when they fail. I would add fuel system to that list too, especially fuel pump, and seems like half the posts I read on modded cars is poor or no idling. Tires used to be a weak link for any car, though that technology has matured to the point where you hardly see folks with a flat anymore. As in your case, electrical issues can go from all good to non-functional in an instant. Belts and hoses can definitely strand you when they go, although you can drive for a long time without power steering (I have). For a car that has had a lot of rebuilding, check all the wiring harness for good connections and routing under the hood. Good maintenance is key; it’s not sexy like a billet clutch reservoir bracket, and takes diligence, but keeps it moving down the road.

DSMs aren't known for throwing belts like AZ-1s are, but my Autozam got me in the habit of keeping a spare alternator belt in all of my cars. 10/12/14mm wrenches and a screwdriver set would get me out of pretty much all fixable situations on the road. And to repeat @Mech Addict's point, coolant hoses are the biggest thing I pay attention to for road trips.

The Coolant Temp Sensor......I don't know if I should recommend replacing or just keeping one in the car. Make sure that its connector is in good shape, they get brittle.

Yep carry a second it will strand you if it fails carry spades in case the wiring goes bad or replace the connector from ohm racing , or sheridan racing. Be prepared the best you can anything can go wrong battery, alternator, sensor, fuel pump, cas, you never know. Get AAA.

I like the "Get AAA" comment Vic. ROFL
Can't go wrong there. I think the OP gets some pretty good ideas about tools, parts and THE UNEXPECTED. :cry:

I carry my tool box whenever i go anywhere in my dsm. I don't need it much anymore but in the early days I used it on the side of the road a lot. Had alternator problem do to bad heat shielding, had a fuel filter clog and stop me, flat tires, overheating because a fan stopped working, starter relay took a crap, starter went out a few times.

You will never know everything, I would say keep some tools in the car so you can keep going.

I have almost all my tools with me now days. extra fluids etc.... start inspecting everything you can see, crawl underneath it. There is no way to predict the future. make sure you have a spare, tire plugs and maybe a pump. A jack is crucial.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I have to add this......always have a fire extinguisher in the car for when it pops the dipstick out and coats the exhaust with oil OMG
I literally thought I was going to have to pee on my car to put out an OIL FIRE...…..so you see, there are many things that CAN happen, best to be prepared for anything.

My advice would be not to buy a dsm LOL
@randizzle420 This is all in good fun. We all love our DSM's here..(Most of the time) but as far as reliability on a 20+ year old car I would just make sure maintenance is done on the car. Other than that I wouldn't replace anything non-maintenance except maybe the fuel pump. Most DSM issues and complaints stem from people buying these cars and spending money on power before maintenance. Buy GOOD PARTS when you do maintenance & repairs too. Cheap parts wear out much more quickly in most cases, especially suspension parts.

One more thing you might add to your car as well if you don't have it is an oil pressure gauge. It won't make the car more reliable but if you pay attention toit even just at start up to make sure its as high as it normally is... it should let you know if something serious is starting to let go/wear out

The shop helping me build my EVO 3 wont even start modding my car till they do all the maintenance on, it has 85k miles and they said once we change out the timing belt, water pump, clean out a few things (throttle body and a few misc. things) change out all the liquids, and replace a few gaskets, itll be prime and ready for "Go fast" parts. work on longevity before power, imo.

Some good information. Gonna make me a list. I live in el centro so this is the last place you wanna break down in the summer with 120 plus temps

Yep exactly i love that picture its old but describes the dsm, or even better trailer the car and drive it to your location, its a 28 plus year old car any damn car that old can break at any moment. is it worth it to the person who posted it, or get there and enjoy where your going or worry about it brreaking, or better yet prepare for a hotel stay, tow fees, and waiting on parts if you get stranded, good luck finding them. Just a thought.

The shop helping me build my EVO 3 wont even start modding my car till they do all the maintenance on, it has 85k miles and they said once we change out the timing belt, water pump, clean out a few things (throttle body and a few misc. things) change out all the liquids, and replace a few gaskets, itll be prime and ready for "Go fast" parts. work on longevity before power, imo.
That’s the way it should be but people have become accustomed to either other people they know or shops throwing parts on without doing general maintenance or look over. If they recommended it and you actually understand that those things are absolutely necessary you shouldn’t be disappointed.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back