The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

1G What to look for? (merged)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ronnie01

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 11, 2003
South Point, Ohio
Hey guys, im goin to pick up a 92 TSI FWD in about a week an a half. Jus wondering what i should keep an eye out for. Anything anyone can tell me would help. Thanks guys.

What kinda shape is the car in? All i can recommend is a full tune up. I just got my 90 talon tsi fwd a week ago and i did a partial tune up this weekend and will do the rest once my transmission fluid comes in! Good luck and congrats! :)

the main thing i would check for would be leaking...from the engine area and the rear end. make sure it is up to date on all its fluids...and whatnot.
take it for a drive and give it some balls...and check for the infamous 'white smoke' if you see it then a. you are burning coolant and b. you will need a headgasket.
not too much worry though...im sure its a good deal that was taken care of.

Yep im new just getting in the dsm scene and was wondering what to look for , i really like the first gen i hope you guys can tell me what to look for when buying a 1g thanks

im thinking about buying a 91 eclipse gst from a guy in town but it has sat for a few years he said the last time he had it running, it ran ruff he 90% sure it was bad fuel. other then compression test what are things i should look for this is my first turbo car 91 gsx eclipse( turbo) it says its a gsx but its not please help thanks

I will never understand why this question is asked over and over yet it's been answered countless times. It's just a car check the normal things leaks (oil/coolant), compression, check and seeing oil isoxdd with coolant and vice versa. Just the normal things only thing I would check on a Dsm that I wouldn't pay attention to in a na car would be pull the intake pipe and check the turbo shaft play and see if the bov is recirculated, and all that will do is show if the op knew anything about it and if he took care of it. You can look under the rear to see if it has a rear diff or not to see if it's awd or fwd. if you want more info then this there is this nifty search up the where you can type your question and probly get 100+ results.

I will never understand why this question is asked over and over yet it's been answered countless times. It's just a car check the normal things leaks (oil/coolant), compression, check and seeing oil isoxdd with coolant and vice versa. Just the normal things only thing I would check on a Dsm that I wouldn't pay attention to in a na car would be pull the intake pipe and check the turbo shaft play and see if the bov is recirculated, and all that will do is show if the op knew anything about it and if he took care of it. You can look under the rear to see if it has a rear diff or not to see if it's awd or fwd. if you want more info then this there is this nifty search up the where you can type your question and probly get 100+ results.

I know basic thanks I should have reworded my question i was more wondering how to check the turbo without the car running. But you answered that thanks. Next time ill use the search to limit sarcastic answers.

I know basic thanks I should have reworded my question i was more wondering how to check the turbo without the car running. But you answered that thanks. Next time ill use the search to limit sarcastic answers.

Your very welcome, and that would be a great idea. ;)

Hey guys Im looking at buying a 1g turbo dsm for a second car and I wanted to know what are some issues that I should look for, Iv never owned a turbo car so I dont know much about turbos, I do however own a supercharged cobalt so im not completely knew to forced Induction. I know about the 6 bolt motors being better because they dont crank walk so any other advice or common issue with these cars would be awesome.

What year 1g?
After 92 they came with 7 bolts

Do a complete look over the car.
Check for rust under the car and under the hood, especially around the strut towers.
Look for puddles of oil or antifreeze in the engine bay
Start it up and let it idle for a few minutes
Check for smoking out of the exhaust(bad turbo seals)
If you can get a compression test have one done, and check shaft play on the turbo
Ask for reciepts of work done.
Thats just a quick list.
There is a lot of stuff to check. Just do a complete check of the car.

Check for smoke coming off the engine,, which would be oil leaks. Oil leaks from the valve cover are an easy fix,, but could be used to talk em down. Ask for receipts for timing belt service. If its modded at all, be very very weary. If its going to be a daily driver then look for low mileage, clean, no mods.

Obviously keep clear of any unfinished project cars. And,, dont be sold by somebody elses expensive parts.

Clean, Running, proof of maintenance are a good place to start looking.

Ok iv been looking around online but iv not picked out anythig yet. Do these cars come stock with boost gauges? And how much boost should a stock car be running? When I find one that looks good ill take it to someone for a compression test. What is the normal range for compression for these cars? I know for my ss its like anywhere from 160 to 180 depending on how cold or hot the motor is.

The stock gauge doesn't give you a very accurate reading, so I wouldn't rely on it for a "true" boost measurement. More of a general indicator than anything. as far as compression goes anything in that range would be considered pretty healthy as long as there are none that are drastically low. Also how the gauge builds can tell you more about the condition of the engine. I'm sure there are write ups about doing compression tests and any mechanic that you bring it to test it should certainly know all this. However you never know, so I recommend doing a little reading on the subject so you know. It's pretty simple if you follow the instructions.

Ok well just needed a boost number to look at if i see something like 15 i know its not stock or i know with turbo ss if ## boost shows up really high but its stock then the cat is clogged. So ill do more research before i buy anything i need reliable car but im not gonna buy some slow car, i love tuner cars LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back