The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

what to look for in a 1G AWD DSM....

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tallen

20+ Year Contributor
May 28, 2002
Ashburn, Virginia
my search will start this week.
so what years of 1G's have the 7bolt?
what year is the best to look at, prolly a 92 right?
i am planning on going to look around here at a few i have located. its time for AWD, even if it means giving the 2G up. i am hoping not to spend over 2000 for the car, but i want one in good shape both in and out. i'd buy someones from this site...but all the cars in the classifieds (as always) are way overpriced. so out with some tips on what years to get, what to look out of, and what to avoid. thanks!

3rd week of april 92 the 7-bolts started to be produced. Make sure the timing belt recalls were done as with the transfer case recall. Ask if the owner has kept recips for past work done to the car, ie. oil changes.

3rd week of april 92 the 7-bolts started to be produced

Not true...

You could buy my car engineless, with stock wheels and suspension but everything else for cheap if you feel like towing it from here to ohio or having it shipped:cool: Otherwise if you like the 92+ then look for a 92+.... Any 1G motor is fantastic and the 1G 7 bolts are just as strong as any other. I wouldn't base my decision on which year and everything else to get on whether or not it has a 6 bolt. Big brakes, looks, newer body/cleanliness, 4 bolt rear are all things to look forward to, and unless you know you will be making over 400whp (which most never do, and if they do a built motor is usually in store so its of no use anyway) then do not worry about the 6 bolt:thumb:

Originally posted by candela

Not true...

You could buy my car engineless, with stock wheels and suspension but everything else for cheap if you feel like towing it from here to ohio or having it shipped:cool: Otherwise if you like the 92+ then look for a 92+.... Any 1G motor is fantastic and the 1G 7 bolts are just as strong as any other. I wouldn't base my decision on which year and everything else to get on whether or not it has a 6 bolt. Big brakes, looks, newer body/cleanliness, 4 bolt rear are all things to look forward to, and unless you know you will be making over 400whp (which most never do, and if they do a built motor is usually in store so its of no use anyway) then do not worry about the 6 bolt:thumb:

And how do you know.

here is a quote from the 1000 frequently asked questions web site.

"According to the staff of Conicelli Mitsubishi, cars produced between March, 1989 and the third week of April, 1992 have 6-bolt motors; May, 1992 to the first week of May, 1994 have 7-bolt motors."

now tell me thats now true. He just asked what years the 7-bolt started, not which is better, the 6 or 7 bolt :p

WHy nitpick with a wiseman giving good advice?

i would be willing to trade you my 92 laser awd and some cash? i live in PA...search my recent posts to find my classified AD

hmm, lets talk
got AIM? mine is szabaga.
pm me if not

"And how do you know.

here is a quote from the 1000 frequently asked questions web site.

"According to the staff of Conicelli Mitsubishi, cars produced between March, 1989 and the third week of April, 1992 have 6-bolt motors; May, 1992 to the first week of May, 1994 have 7-bolt motors."

now tell me thats now true. He just asked what years the 7-bolt started, not which is better, the 6 or 7 bolt "

Its not true. First off you said that 6 bolts started production the 3rd week in which case I wouldn't argue that maybe so (which argues your quote above stating they started in May) but I have seen 3 dsm's (including mine) produced after May 1st that origianlly came with 6 bolt motors. I don't offer my advice to make a arguements with anyone on this board, Ive been here to long and read to much crap to want to.

Secondly he asked about 6 and 7 bolts for the most part and you know that when a newb (no offense:p ) asks about that (especially in this question) he has a concern about the motors. I gave my input and that is it:thumb: if theres anythign else you would like to know about these cars feel free to ask.

Austin

Originally posted by candela

Its not true. First off you said that 6 bolts started production the 3rd week

Umm, I said that the 7-bolts were started the third week of April. But I don't realy care, and might be wrong. There is too many things to argue about DSM's that nobody realy knows the right answer too. I could start a huge-ass anoying post just asking when DSM production stopped, but lets not get into that;).

If you realy want to know if its a 6 or 7 bolt motor--> http://www.vfaq.com/mods/early-late-engine.html

Lets leave it at that shal we?:p

Personaly im parshall to 90's duno why realy... just something i can't put my finger on...

they did alot of stuff right to the 90... and alot of stuff that was stupid too... so it all depends.. but i think any car that can go though hell for 13yrs solid and still run like a champ.. hehe... hell of a monster under the hood just waiting to be awoken.

Originally posted by RipperXX
Personaly im parshall to 90's duno why realy... just something i can't put my finger on...

they did alot of stuff right to the 90... and alot of stuff that was stupid too... so it all depends.. but i think any car that can go though hell for 13yrs solid and still run like a champ.. hehe... hell of a monster under the hood just waiting to be awoken.

It's all about the pop-ups yo :p

Originally posted by markGSX
What to look for:
good compression (just ask the seller if you can take it to a mechanic)
smooth shifting

Those are the 2 most important things.

LOL, I think you'll have a hard time trying to find a 1G with smooth shifting. Unless it grinds going into gear, your ok. Most 1G's get a notchy gearbox over time.

When I was looking around for a 1G, my friend test drove a 91 GS-T. The tranny shifted so smoothly, my friend said it felt better than his 99 GS-T! I thought about buying it but decided to wait for an AWD...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back