The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

What to buy to fix door handles?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You would be right that is a reinforcement kit. And a good one. Id get that, along with a new door handle off of ebay ($7.50). Put in the reinforcement and your golden. As for a fix, its all plastic, so would depend on where it broke at. end of the day however 20 bucks for the kit, 16 for 2 new handles< OEM handles from the dealer at 80/handle last i checked.

OEM breaks after the years mostly like normal but another problem is the handle retracting spring. If you look at a news handle and see how it works and what forces go on in there, youll see that spring is just unneccesarily thick. Theres also a piece of metal thats apart of the linkage and the spring bends that. Each time requires you to pull up higher and harder eventually its you breaking the handle, not a crappy handle. Well it is but you see what I mean.

I would post pics but they got deleted, as I just figured out. And that sucks, I was planning an article :mad:

Anyway, get a new set of handles, the reinforcement kit and a dremel. Once the items are in, dissassemble the handles as per instructions and do the reincorcement part kit. While that jb weld cures, take that spring and shave the spring down with the dremel. Just decrease the coils diameter, no cutting of the coils!

This combo of simple mods will make anyone who appriciates cars, drool and become jealous when it takes almost no force and less than 1/2" of handle travel before the door pops open.

Good luck

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back