The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

What tires should I get [Merged 3-9] which tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droptopgst

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 1, 2002
Myrtle Beach, South_Carolina
I have a 98 gst spyder. Travel a lot, no snow, daily driver. I have Potenzas re730 225/50/ZR16. I like them but are these good tires for $130 each or is there a better tire I can get for less $$? Also is everyone running Z rated tires or will V be alright? Suggestions on sheapest good performing tire or at least something comperable to these.

FAlken Azenus sport's are awesome tires cheap and extreme bang for the buck. Sport compact cars subaru Impreza WRX couldn't handle all that tire w/ the ABS sys. they had to turn off the system and mash on the pedal as hard as they could. then they got a shorter braking distance. I had these tires (V-rated what I had, is fine) on a '95 GS-T and they worked great. order them from www.victoriatire.com thats where I got them from. I paid about $78 a peice! ( same size as yours 225/50/ZR16 ) try that against your potenzas!

they stick awesome. at the drag strip my tires don't burn out they only wheel hop I have so much traction. Wheel hoping isn't good though so I don't try to warm up the tires.

I got about 8000 mi on them and they looked brand new wear was great.

I highly recomend them.

i just got the kumho supras and they are great (my size tho is only 215-50-16.....do you have the 225 of the stock rims??? and do they rub if so? and is your car lowered? i have the sportlines and my car sits really low and everyone told me that they would rub a lot
so i dunno, anyway, thats just my .02 on the cheap tires....i got mine for 390 installed with tax and out the door....i think it would be like 15 more/tire for the bigger size

yokahoma parada spec 2s are the best thing thats happened to me i used to never grip up and get a barreling rubber smoke cloud when i launched a little to hard but these tires are really soft and grip up quick

i'm either going to go with 215/40 17s or 215/45 17s. which ones would you if it was you? oh by the way the rims are 7.5 inchs wide.

215/45 17s

Because your speedo will be off if you get the others. The aspect ratio is too low on the others.

How far off will my speedometer be off. With putting bigger rims on it's going to be off anyway.

i don't think i want to go with 225s because of the tires rubbing. or do you think that's not going to be a problem. i plan to roll the fenders anyway

Well, wheelmax is screwing me on their package deal, so I have to buy stock size tires (195/70/14). What are some good tires that have decent winter performance, and can I get anything lower profile and not screw shit up, or should I not even bother and just get 195/70s.

205/60's would give you better traction and not mess with the speedo.
Check out www.tirerack.com , they've got fitments, specs, and reviews.
Hope that helps man.

:dsm: Stephen :dsm:

P.S. In the future put the type of vehicle. That would help ALOT. :thumb:

Where in Mass. are you? I'm originally from Springfield.

Where are you getting this information about 205/60s being a good stock size replacement? Can I get an even lower profile, like 50/55?

i would just stick with the original size. sometimes it changes the way ur car handles/rides. 50/55 is a big difference compared to 70 series and it is $$$$ for a low profile 14" tire.

Ben

Originally posted by Fryguy
Where are you getting this information about 205/60s being a good stock size replacement? Can I get an even lower profile, like 50/55?

With 205/60's the sidewall will be just about the same height. You will also have a wider tire which will improve your handling. The reason I know that would be a good replacement is because with the 205's being wider, and an aspect ratio of 60 you will keep a very close rolling diameter to stock. I would not recomend going any lower profile or wider on the tire.

:dsm: Stephen :dsm:

P.S. Your car is still a mystery.

Check out the Tire Rack site (www.tirerack.com). Just plug in your car and it will show you the recommended combinations including stock, plus 1, and plus 2 sizing. The've got reviews on lots of tires, user surveys, customer feedback. It's pretty amazing.

Alright, i have nearly 400 hp at the wheels and i want to start taking my car to the track. My problem is that i don't want slicks or even DR's. Which street tire is going to be the stickiest? BUT... i would like to get at VERY least 10,000 miles out of them. Is there a tire out there or am i just going to have to deal with slicks?

these are drag radials but stick like hell..

bfgoodrich g-force t/a drag radials

they stick and are still fairly streetable..

for just streets hmm.. theres to many to choose from LOL.. i dont think it would make much a difference on street tires, your gonna lose traction regardless..

I'm am looking at getting new wheels and tires for my car. I think I have picked out the wheels (18" Enkei CDR9s offset of 40) but I am unsure of what tires to get. The problem with the wheels is they are a little heavy. If anyone knows a similar looking wheel that weighs less please let me know. The tires that I am looking at are:

Toyo Proxes (either 4 or FZ4)
Yokohama AVS (Sport or ES100)
Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S (This is my current choice unless someone changes my mind)

All in the tire size 235/40R18.

I plan on dropping the car between 1.5 and 1.8 inches with Koni Yellows and a GC Coilover kit. Will this size tire fit with that drop? From what I have found with searching it should, but I might need to roll the fenders.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

Any of those tire choices is superb. Just don't expect to be much of a stranger to the tire store. The damned little nubby bits keep getting scraped off.

blah on those particular yokes, pzeros are awesome, and i know you didnt list them but i always tell everyone to go with the toyo proxes t1s'... theyre what ive been running on everything i drive in the summer since i got them for the mr2 a couple summers ago. if you dont go for the t1s then i say def the pirellis they make such good stuff and those rubbers are no exception.:thumb:

Your choice of wheel and tire sizes looks good (assuming the wheels are somewhere around 8" wide). No clearance issues there.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back