The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

what tires for a gst?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mild_gst

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2004
san antonio, Texas
OK I have some stock 5 spoke wheels that I need tires for on my 97 gst. A couple friends tell me to go 225/55/16. These tires would be daily drivers so I would expect them to last more than 15 k miles. They will see the occasional track use every once in the great while but for the most part just your daily all season driving. What do you recommend? :confused:

225/55 is way too big. Consider that 205/55 is the stock size. Even when I had 215/55's on my GSX there was very little clearance in the rear. I'm thinking 225s will rub.

For daily driving, get yourself a set of BFG Traction T/A's. They last forever and have great traction in all seasons.

I'm pretty sure I had 225/55 on my 99 gst and had no issues with rubbing. The problem with those tires were that they didn't last long since the were semi drag tires. They weren't the greatest tires in the rain LOL

OK I have some stock 5 spoke wheels that I need tires for on my 97 gst. A couple friends tell me to go 225/55/16. These tires would be daily drivers so I would expect them to last more than 15 k miles. They will see the occasional track use every once in the great while but for the most part just your daily all season driving. What do you recommend? :confused:

I am currently running 225/50/16's with only a slight rub on the inner fender and only at Full-lock (usually while auto-crossing) Below are several suggestions for “extreme-performance” tires that are considered street tires but will also be competitive on the track. Listed from least to most expensive:

Kumho Ecsta XS
Dunlop Direzza Z1 star spec
Falken RT-615
Bridgestone RE-11s

I am running the Bridgestone’s now, but if I were going to buy another set, I would go with the Kumho or the Dunlops… just one opinion :)

If you're going to want to use the tires for racing and for all seasons, you're going to have to make a sacrifice somewhere. Since you live in Texas, you could probably get away with a move summer biased tire, since snow is pretty rare for you. I love my Dunlop Direzza Star Specs, but I seriously doubt they'll be any good once it gets cold and snows. I have a dedicated set of snow tires for the winter.

Kumho Ecsta XS
Dunlop Direzza Z1 star spec
Falken RT-615
Bridgestone RE-11s

I am running the Bridgestone's now, but if I were going to buy another set, I would go with the Kumho or the Dunlops... just one opinion :)

Ok I tried looking at the tires on discount tire's website but no lucky. Would I have to special order any of these?

If you're going to want to use the tires for racing and for all seasons, you're going to have to make a sacrifice somewhere. Since you live in Texas, you could probably get away with a move summer biased tire, since snow is pretty rare for you. I love my Dunlop Direzza Star Specs, but I seriously doubt they'll be any good once it gets cold and snows. I have a dedicated set of snow tires for the winter.

Yeah I'm from san antonio, we would be lucky to see snow flurries LOL I didn't find these tires as well

*Edit* Never mind I found the tires. I narrowed down the search too much by looking for a 225/55

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey mike, I have 225/55/16 on my car, and its lowered on eibach sportline springs, no rubbing at all. U saw it at the meet and track LOL, they fit perfect and sit nice and mean, and my car is dropped. I am running yokhama tires btw.

As far as brands i like the hankook k110's the have a 280 tread wear rating... And i just bought some new tires the are sumitomo htr z3 (300a tread wear) they take a bit to warm up but the hankook's warm up quick.

I had the hankooks in a 225/40/18 and the sumitomo are in a 245/40/17 id recomend either tire to anyone

DML Tire and Wheel Calculator

Compare to stock with this calculator, I used 255/35/18's fo a while they are nice. Ive used 255/40/17's, which are the same size as the first tire I had, and the last tires Im using in the front right now are like 275/40/16's (huge offset rims)....So im sure you would be fine using 225/55/16's..Ive used bigger tires.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back