The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

what things can i do to my 4g63 motor to prevent crankwalk??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidGST

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 7, 2003
Central_America
Hello guys.....

I just rebuild my motor but what can i do to my motor to prevent crankwalk?
Let me know.

Thanks

David

is it a 6 bolt or a seven bolt...if you built a six then your problem is solved...if you built a seven bolt, then its bound to happen again. a common way for crankwalk on a seven bolt to occur is to have the clutch pushed in too long...

Originally posted by timmy43016
A common way for crankwalk on a seven bolt to occur is to have the clutch pushed in too long...

Really?? Hmm, I've never heard of that? Well I wouldn't suggest anything stronger than a ACT 2100 - or compareable... There is a lot of information on this topic if you SEARCH.

There's lots of information, but I wouldn't put much on any of it being correct.

Seems your best bet is to burn a votive candle for the thrust bearing and pray before it.

Or, just not worry about it.

Both methods have equal effectiveness.

Balance Shaft delete Kit - Of course I'm sure you did that as a part of your rebuild.

D-Man: Seems your best bet is to burn a votive candle for the thrust bearing and pray before it.

D-Man this comment could be construed as insensitive to our Roman Catholic DSM'rs... (like me)

All of the above... you can also pull your upper clutch sensor plug so the vehicle can start w/out pushing the clutch in, thus not putting pressure on the thrust bearing when the motor is cold. Haven't discovered any ill effects to pulling that plug. It looks to be only used for starting purposes anyway...just don't start it in gear :thumb:

Originally posted by koolade9
All of the above... you can also pull your upper clutch sensor plug so the vehicle can start w/out pushing the clutch in, thus not putting pressure on the thrust bearing when the motor is cold. Haven't discovered any ill effects to pulling that plug. It looks to be only used for starting purposes anyway...just don't start it in gear :thumb:

where is the sensor at? i would like to pull it if it "might" help against walking. does anyone know of any negative effects of doing that? its not like hard on the engine or starter or anything is it if its in neutral right? or is it?

Just get some chicken blood, an eye of a newt , a piece of Howard Dean's hair, an ounce of space dust, and every original Eagle's albums and mix them with two parts water and one part Sprite. Pour over block. Let sit for 5 minutes.

:p

Crankwalk is only worth thinking about if you have it. I don't spend all my life hiding from the sun because I fear skin cancer and I don't cry myself to sleep every night thinking about that poor thrust bearing ( :cry: ). I have no idea where I'm going with this though. Here are some numbers for your viewing pleasure:

My car: 130,000 miles
Endplay: 0.008 inches

:D

:talon: :laser: :dsm:

Originally posted by Groomz

Crankwalk is only worth thinking about if you have it. I don't spend all my life hiding from the sun because I fear skin cancer and I don't cry myself to sleep every night thinking about that poor thrust bearing ( :cry: ). I have no idea where I'm going with this though. Here are some numbers for your viewing pleasure:

My car: 130,000 miles
Endplay: 0.008 inches

:D

yeah but if you can do sumthing really really easy and theres even just the slightest chance it might make your engine last longer is it not worth it?

Originally posted by koolade9

I have this done in my '94 Nissan hardbody, as long as it's in neutral I don't have to have the clutch in. Never had a problem with it. My sensor had gone bad so I put a piece of metal in to close the loop (the truck wouldn't turn over because it wouldn't sense the clutch was in) to solve the problem.

I actually believe that there is a way to prevent crank walk. There is a kit you can buy that either preclases the crank so that it fits better or replaces the bearings that fit better. I can't remeber which one it is. Go to vfaq.com and look up crankwalk. It will tell u tehre

1. Park car.
2. Get out.
3. Don't drive it till you get a 6 bolt.

If you do this immediately, you wont have to worry about crank walk.

Originally posted by clownface
yeah but if you can do sumthing really really easy and theres even just the slightest chance it might make your engine last longer is it not worth it?

I totally agree. I do all the usual stuff like changing the oil and filter every 3K, readjusting the clutch hydraulics every other oil change ( first time I did it I was amazed at how bad out of adjustment it was, which also fixed the grinding gears problem OMG ), and keeping my eye on that timing belt to make sure nothing is going south.

My best recommendation in addition to all the usual maintainance procedures ( to help "prevent" crankwalk ) is to properly adjust the clutch hydraulic system. I am by no means a wiseman or some DSM guru, but a poorly adjusted hydraulic system can accelerate thrust bearing wear by placing force on the crank when it shouldn't. If I were to put money on the most popular cause of crankwalk ( other than obvious things like failed oil pumps or bad rebuilds ) would be a faulty hydraulic system.

Just my 2 cents though, please don't flame! :)

http://www.taboospeedshop.com/clutch.htm
http://www.taboospeedshop.com/cmc.htm

Originally posted by 90TTalonAWD
I actually believe that there is a way to prevent crank walk. There is a kit you can buy that either preclases the crank so that it fits better or replaces the bearings that fit better. I can't remeber which one it is. Go to vfaq.com and look up crankwalk. It will tell u tehre

Incorrect. It might "help" when reassembling a motor, but it's not a perfect fix. Nothing is.

i am going with groomz and defiant on this one... i would worry more about proper maintanance. we don't know what causes the thrust bearing to prematurly wear so we don't know how to fix it... all of the cures you hear are theories, just like why crank walk happens.... all theories.

Originally posted by timmy43016
is it a 6 bolt or a seven bolt...if you built a six then your problem is solved...if you built a seven bolt, then its bound to happen again. a common way for crankwalk on a seven bolt to occur is to have the clutch pushed in too long...

6-bolts get crankwalk 2...all motors can...its just that our 7-bolt 2g's have more of a chance...:cry:

Originally posted by ninety7gst
6-bolts get crankwalk 2...all motors can...its just that our 7-bolt 2g's have more of a chance...:cry:

No no no no no no no no!!! :D

Don't think that way! Have the car checked for crankshaft endplay ( to see if its in specs ), do all the required maintainance and go out and enjoy your car! I bought a 6 bolt block to start a backup motor for my 95, but I realized why the hell am I spending all my money on something that I won't need for a very long time. I take care of my car, I mod it smartly, I do checkups weekly ( fluids and such ) and I enjoy the drive ( I know I ripped that line from someone ).

Enjoy your cars people, don't hate them!

Originally posted by Groomz
No no no no no no no no!!! :D

Don't think that way! Have the car checked for crankshaft endplay ( to see if its in specs ), do all the required maintainance and go out and enjoy your car! I bought a 6 bolt block to start a backup motor for my 95, but I realized why the hell am I spending all my money on something that I won't need for a very long time. I take care of my car, I mod it smartly, I do checkups weekly ( fluids and such ) and I enjoy the drive ( I know I ripped that line from someone ).

Enjoy your cars people, don't hate them!

I agree Crankwalk is something that believe it or not there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. There are ways to combat it like chamfering where the bearing halves meet to allow more oil flow but still not a fix more of a bandaid. BTW. the chamfer trick does work most race motors (not just the mighty 4g63) you will see have this done.. Drive the car don't ride the clutch and have fun, if it breaks fix it..... other than that not much else can be done....

It seems like you all are talking about manuals and what not. But does an automatic have more or less or the same chance of getting crankwalk?
I'm scared of crankwalk, there isn't a minute that goes by each day that I don't think of it.

Originally posted by Flash
It seems like you all are talking about manuals and what not. But does an automatic have more or less or the same chance of getting crankwalk?
I'm scared of crankwalk, there isn't a minute that goes by each day that I don't think of it.

thats silly, dont be so worried. Go check your endplay and see if its good/bad and stop being silly. The clutch thing is just one theory that might cause it, so i wouldnt count on automatic not getting it just cause its automatic or making any difference at all. I used to be crazy worried about it but not for long cause it seems like its blown way out of proportion, just take really good care of the car and do some of the things that might help againts it, oil care, all the stuff about the clutch hydrolics, riding it, etc etc 6bolt if you wanna go all out.

A few general questions some of you experinced guys might no to go along with this thread.

Does crank walk eventually happen to all DSMs?

What is the most commen (if any) time (miles ex, 150,000) it happens?

And is it mostly on 96-99 turbos?

Thanks all stuff i heard from people but not sure how much was true.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back