The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

What the heck is this? Gas pedal help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E-CLIPS97

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 8, 2003
Eagle mountain, Utah
Hey all.

My project 96 continues. So, I was up under the dash removing some wiring and happened to notice this little beauty. Clearly I don't think the factory sent out their gas pedal assemblies with wire wrapped around the top of the gas pedal assembly, then looped through a large washer. :ohdamn:

Its been a while since I have worked on eclipses. Can someone tell me what is missing and/or needed to fix this mess? I would assume a whole new assembly, but I am wondering if maybe it might need something else...

Thoughts?

Attachments

• gaspedal1.jpg
    gaspedal1.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 127
Wow that looks very performance based. So it's suppose to look like this
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It looks like it was rigged to work, but you can find a replacement at a junky yard, i had to do the same, if not STM has one

STM: OEM MITSUBISHI NON CRUISE THROTTLE CABLES | 90-99 DSM

looks like someone tried to ghetto ground something. trace it back to where it comes from. if it has nothing at the end of it just get rid of it.

"wire wrapped around the top of the gas pedal assembly"""

looks like someone tried to ghetto ground something. trace it back to where it comes from. if it has nothing at the end of it just get rid of it.

My thought was that they are holding the throttle cable to the gas pedal because something broke on it. I cant tell because of the gigantic washer in the way haha.

Looks like the small yellow clip that holds the ball to the pedal broke and got replaced with a washer. Check any junk yard for any model eclipse you can snag that from.

That's an easy fix, go to a yard and pick one out. Hell even one from a different car would work with a little bit of modding...

The PO must have been revving the piss out it impressing the girlies at the Mall parking lot, and the pedal bracket breaking is the engines' way of saying f*** you driver

Last edited:
That's an easy fix, go to a yard and pick one out. Hell even one from a different car would work with a little bit of modding...

The PO must have been revving the piss out it impressing the girlies at the Mall parking lot, and the pedal bracket breaking is the engines' way of saying f*** you driver

Hahaha that's funny. :D

So I just need to replace the yellow ball? Or the whole throttle cable? And I would assume that cable is under tension...if I remove that washer and wire, is the throttle cable going to fly back through the firewall if I don't hold onto it?

As per factory specs, it should not be under tension whatsoever. That tension is set by loosening the two 10mm bolts holding throttle cable to intake manifold then sliding the bracket back.

It looks to me the throttle bracket is damaged and can't hold the ball, so replace the part which the actual rubber pedal attaches to

Hahaha that's funny. :D

So I just need to replace the yellow ball? Or the whole throttle cable? And I would assume that cable is under tension...if I remove that washer and wire, is the throttle cable going to fly back through the firewall if I don't hold onto it?

it's easy as pie just remove the cable, and replace it its not under load or tension, that wire should lead to your throttle or your cruise control.

Just playing around urban. No worries.

I forgot about cruise assembly. Pull on the end of the cable at the pedal and see how easy it is to remove. Maybe the last guy screwed up the cruise junction box thing under the hood near firewall.

Just playing around urban. No worries.

I forgot about cruise assembly. Pull on the end of the cable at the pedal and see how easy it is to remove. Maybe the last guy screwed up the cruise junction box thing under the hood near firewall.

Keeping in mind this is a 420A, are you referring to the black box mounted to the firewall on the passenger side near the strut tower?

Keeping in mind this is a 420A, are you referring to the black box mounted to the firewall on the passenger side near the strut tower?

Yes, one cable from pedal to black box, another from cruise control unit to box, 3rd a cable from box to throttle, all models have this box. Not identical, but they perform identical task. .. .. just go fix it already.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back