The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

What Step Should I Take Next?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReivaXVrai

Probationary Member
Aug 13, 2012
Grand Junction, Colorado
I own a '96 GST Spyder that I am modding. Currently it has: an Injen air intake with a K&N filter, a CXRacing front mount with piping and Greddy type S knock off BOV, aftermarket boost, narrowband, and oil temp gauges, Ultra Gauge, SRS 3" from the cat exhaust, and Competition clutch kit. I am a little but stuck on my next step. I want to go for more power, but I also want to do an AWD swap to it. I have been unsuccessful in finding a blown GSX or TSI, though. I have a stock Evo 8 turbo that I'm going to put on once I get injectors and a fuel pump, as well as an EPROM ECU to get DSMLink for. My issue is that to get a tune, I have to drive 4 hours into Denver, and this car is my daily. So, what should I do next?

Im not a pro but they would say if you going to tune you got trash that narrow and get wideband. Depending on injectors may need afpr. Boost controller.

One of the easiest underrated thing to replace is your pulleys. Installing a lightweight pulley kit is good for an extra 15-20 hp boost yet it doesn't take too long to do and offers you a good opportunity to replace your belts if they need it LOL. When you're ready to do the turbo swap I suggest getting a header and a downpipe to maintain good flow with the rest of your exhaust. Also when you're ready to do the awd swap I would also suggest replacing the flywheel with a lightweight one as well.
I hope that helps if not just a little.

you can get a tune over the inter webs for around $250.

buy link and do that. until then, dont do anything to add power.

Really? :O That's awesome. Who can I get to do that?

One of the easiest underrated thing to replace is your pulleys. Installing a lightweight pulley kit is good for an extra 15-20 hp boost yet it doesn't take too long to do and offers you a good opportunity to replace your belts if they need it LOL. When you're ready to do the turbo swap I suggest getting a header and a downpipe to maintain good flow with the rest of your exhaust. Also when you're ready to do the awd swap I would also suggest replacing the flywheel with a lightweight one as well.

I'll look into the pulley kit. I just got all my belts replaced, haha. My only issue with getting a downpipe for the turbo, is that it will be replaced when I do the AWD swap, so I'd kind of be throwing money away. I'm
not trying to argue or anything, just figure this out.

This is because of the extra vibrations added because of no dampening from the solid pulley. Some argue it's worse on bearings. Downpipe is awesome at bang for buck. May want to add a adjustable fuel pressure regulator and adapter to your list. High volume pumps can overrun the stock return on the fpr.

The pulley is a terrible idea. Its called a harmonic balancer for a reason. Besides the fact that any gain would be negligible. 20hp from pulleys is a joke.

Here's what you do. First throw that narrowband in the trash or sell it to some honda kid or whatever. Its worthless. Buy a well known wideband kit. Most will suggest the Innovate lc-1.

You have the basic bolt ons covered. Link should be your next mod after the wideband.

I would wait until you do an AWD swap cause if you start adding more parts you'll just overwhelms yourself and = more headache! LOL just be patient and decide if you want more power or go AWD cause both = lots of works.

By looking at your mods so far u haven't setup a basic power goal. First i would suggest to do your maintenance first then decide how bad to u wanna go awd cause that's serious work and money on top of other power adders. Have u even checked the upgrade path provided by the website. You could sell the narrow-band and the evo 8 and knockoff bov get u a 1g bov wide-band, logger, t28 or 14b or even 16g ( at least 550c with the 16g ) and a custom tune from my1gdsm on here, just some honest advice just depends on goal and buget.

By looking at your mods so far u haven't setup a basic power goal. First i would suggest to do your maintenance first then decide how bad to u wanna go awd cause that's serious work and money on top of other power adders. Have u even checked the upgrade path provided by the website. You could sell the narrow-band and the evo 8 and knockoff bov get u a 1g bov wide-band, logger, t28 or 14b or even 16g ( at least 550c with the 16g ) and a custom tune from my1gdsm on here, just some honest advice just depends on goal and buget.

I've read it over and over. It's come down to, I either wait and get AWD, or push my goal of 350whp on FWD. I obviously need DSMLINK. I'm waiting to get my Ultra gauge to see if it can read the wide and from my ECU. Is the 1G BOV that good? I was going to get an authentic Greddy or HKS at some point, once I'm running more than 15PSI. Is waiting for AWD worth it?

I want to get a 16g, but the EVO3 big 16g is $1300. For that, I can get a Precision turbo.

IF you want the evo 3 16g look up Justin, or check out the classifieds. I see there cheap.

Look into dsmlink (ecmlink) they also sell a wideband Lc1. So get the package.

AWD swap is a lot of work, you got to be able to do welds. Also you need a donor car. If I were you I would think about what you want. You can have lots of fun with both.

If you get link you can go with bigger fuel injectors. I would get FIC 1150cc, I have these, I started out with PTE 680cc and maxed them out on my evo 3 16g.

With your fuel pump be sure to get a STM rewire kit.
Depending on your fuel pump you may need to get AFPR

Have you checked your ecu to see if eprom

Also be sure that all your maintenance is done, check your compressions, maybe do a Leak down test, have you done a BLT.

You don't want to just throw parts at it and fail.

IF you want the evo 3 16g look up Justin, or check out the classifieds. I see there cheap.

Look into dsmlink (ecmlink) they also sell a wideband Lc1. So get the package.

AWD swap is a lot of work, you got to be able to do welds. Also you need a donor car. If I were you I would think about what you want. You can have lots of fun with both.

If you get link you can go with bigger fuel injectors. I would get FIC 1150cc, I have these, I started out with PTE 680cc and maxed them out on my evo 3 16g.

With your fuel pump be sure to get a STM rewire kit.
Depending on your fuel pump you may need to get AFPR

Have you checked your ecu to see if eprom

Also be sure that all your maintenance is done, check your compressions, maybe do a Leak down test, have you done a BLT.

You don't want to just throw parts at it and fail.

Maintenance is all good. I've kept up on that. I'm looking into DSMLink, and I know I have an EPROM ECU. When putting down 500hp, will my FWD be able to handle it?

Maintenance is all good. I've kept up on that. I'm looking into DSMLink, and I know I have an EPROM ECU. When putting down 500hp, will my FWD be able to handle it?

Your stock motor will not be able to handle it for very long, not to mention the fact that is extremely hard getting 500hp from a 16g turbo. Also bear in mind that DSMLink is a tuning software and not a something where you type in how much horse power you want. You really want to think of what you want to do in terms of goals. I know it sounds dumb or boring to do to literally sit down with a pen, paper, and calculator while researching tolerances and engine specs. But I have seen way to many people deliberately skip this important step and then end up with incomplete projects and spending more than they anticipated.

Get a real BOV, like the NGR Type S, and get an LSD installed.

The pulley is a terrible idea. Its called a harmonic balancer for a reason. Besides the fact that any gain would be negligible. 20hp from pulleys is a joke.

Here's what you do. First throw that narrowband in the trash or sell it to some honda kid or whatever. Its worthless. Buy a well known wideband kit. Most will suggest the Innovate lc-1.

You have the basic bolt ons covered. Link should be your next mod after the wideband.

Pretty much spot on here, except it's a damper, not a balancer (doesn't balance anything, I know, semanticsLOL

attachment.php

From broken crankshaft??

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back