The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

What size WG for HX40?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2slow4utsi

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 7, 2009
Eastpointe, Michigan
What size wg should I go with for an HX40? Plus, should I dump the wg and o2 or recirc both or dump one and recirc one? Let me know guys.

Thanks,

Danny :thumb:

If you dump your O2, then you dont have an exhaust. If you have strict emissions testing where you live, it would be smart to have a pro weld you up a nice O2 housing with a recirculated wastegate. Otherwise, dump that shit like its hot.

James :dsm::talon::laser:

You can just dump what the wastegate bypasses. I have no emissions in my state, so I did not even consider that point. Still, unless you run high enough boost (during the test) to open the wastegate, you should not affect testing at all.

You can just dump what the wastegate bypasses. I have no emissions in my state, so I did not even consider that point. Still, unless you run high enough boost (during the test) to open the wastegate, you should not affect testing at all.

But, if he is like my state, they still look under the hood. And if they see anything from a turbo, just open, they will call you out on it. So, he has to be careful with that.

But, if he is like my state, they still look under the hood. And if they see anything from a turbo, just open, they will call you out on it. So, he has to be careful with that.

Ah, Illinois, may not be the best weather, but no emissions for 1994 and older! But yes i remember those days, but they never popped our hoods. For tested vehicles, they just plug in the obd2 scanner for codes and you're on your way

I dont have emission after 1996. But they still do the "lookalike" check. "If it done lookalike a cat, it must be a cat." Hahaa. But, they pop the hood, check for the egr and all that jazz. Look at the brakes, and do a fuel cap test. I have no idea how the fuel cap means i wont pollute the air, but whatever.

How much boost do you plan on running? That is the biggest factor in wastegate size. If you run low boost, you will need a bigger gate.

No emissions in Michigan and 25-30lbs or even more depending on how much abuse the turbo can take. :hellyeah: Sounds like 44mm is good now what a bout dumping or recircing?

I have working on my buddys audi and I swear the wastegate didn't recirc and it was stock... But i could be wrong.. I wasn't inspecting it rediculously. Anyways the 44mm is sweet... Atmos dumping is also sweet LOL... smells like heaven...

At 10psi, you're better off with a smaller turbo that's more in its high efficiency range.

Absolutely, Id just prefer to buy once and do it right, and Ill be upping the boost as soon as I can afford a better tranny and clutch, which shouldnt be more than a month or two, but Id like to get it all in and working first.

I just had my car dynoed the other day with my HX40 pro and made 470whp at 30psi. I am running a Tial 41mm wastegate with an o2 dump. Depending on the exhaust housing I would recommend porting the exhaust housing as much as possible, because This is what I am in the mist of doing. I have been running into problems with boost creep. And hopefully this will solve me issue. Also I would run the o2 dump just because that car sounds so mean with it LOL.

I have a similar set up with a bep 70ar turbine housing with a manifold mounted tial 40mm wategate and i am also getting like 2-3lbs of boost creep due to the fact that i'm running low boost. It's hard to control the exhaust gases when running such a big turbo at low boost.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back