The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

What should I get for my next mod?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachwilliams02

Proven Member
Dec 30, 2012
marietta, New_York
Ok guys I'm first off going. Say that the car listed in my profile is not the one I'm driving. Well I have a 97 tsi that is a full 99 eclipse conversion. 17 in motegi rims and anhighrise spoiler. Now for performance i have a full 3.5 inch exhaust with a tubular o2 and headers with a big 16g running 18psi. I have a front mount, fic 550 injectors, wally190 required to a switch on the dash. I have 3G lifters from another car but I've been holding off n putting them in yet because I'm unsure of my next mod... Oh I have an apexi safc2 and a wideband. I'm thinking cams and head studs buti would like input from everyone else.

He already has a wideband. I'd look into suspension mods now instead of more power. Polyurethane bushing master kit, upgraded rear sway bars, strut tower bars, ect.

Head studs would not be on the list unless you feel like surfacing the head and buying a new head gasket as well. I would go DSMLink to get rid of the SAFC so that you have unlimited options and tuning capabilities. Cams are a maybe but you can better spend money elsewhere

Ditch the safc and get dsmlink. Also get yourself some 1200cc injectors. With dsmlink the car will handle te big injectors very nicely, plus you will have room to grow in the future. And I would do a Walbro 255 at least. Also don't forget your other normal bolt one like fmic, intake and what not. With those mods I mentioned your car should run harder.

I don't have the budget for dsmlink LOL. This is my dd that's why I'm nit going super crazy on it but thanks for the input. J forgot to mention I have cross braces on both front and rear towers. I just bought the safc a few weeks ago because of the injectors. I found out the car had upgraded injectors when I bought the car because it was booting past 5krpm. Anyways I just got a great deal on headstuds. They were 25 bucks shipped. And I found a set of Brian crowed cams for 250 shipped. Besides I love the sound of cams

Oh forgot to say I have a hx35 and headers for it at my house that's another reason I want headstuds

Gonna need something besides that safc to tune the car with with the holset, and those cams. The next thing well wait save up and buy link lite, need a good tuning device might as well get it next.

My personal next step would be gauges, 1000cc injectors, dsm link. I'm getting you have a 6bolt swap, if not then that's number one. Also would check out your head gasket, if it's not a nice metal one, I would get that + APR headstuds and new cams.

Since you got he afc and if you are comfortable with it right now id get suspension mods as well probaly along with brakes and new lines, making sure the car is safe all around, maybe a good clutch if you decide to.

Head studs would not be on the list unless you feel like surfacing the head and buying a new head gasket as well. I would go DSMLink to get rid of the SAFC so that you have unlimited options and tuning capabilities. Cams are a maybe but you can better spend money elsewhere

You can install head studs without disturbing the head gasket. The stock 7-bolt head bolts are torqued to yield and will permanently deform if stretched. With ARP standard studs and a decent tune, the stock gasket can hold well over 500hp with room to spare. But otherwise I completely agree.

My personal next step would be gauges, 1000cc injectors, dsm link. I'm getting you have a 6bolt swap, if not then that's number one. Also would check out your head gasket, if it's not a nice metal one, I would get that + APR headstuds and new cams.

Again, stock head gasket with studs and decent tune can handle over 500hp. Same for the 7-bolt, which has made over 500hp on the stock bottom end. No need to replace good parts or toss out a good engine. :thumb:

I don't have the budget for dsmlink LOL. This is my dd that's why I'm nit going super crazy on it but thanks for the input. J forgot to mention I have cross braces on both front and rear towers. I just bought the safc a few weeks ago because of the injectors. I found out the car had upgraded injectors when I bought the car because it was booting past 5krpm. Anyways I just got a great deal on headstuds. They were 25 bucks shipped. And I found a set of Brian crowed cams for 250 shipped. Besides I love the sound of cams

Oh forgot to say I have a hx35 and headers for it at my house that's another reason I want headstuds

At this point, cams aren't going to do anything but make noise and reduce low-end power. DSMLink isn't that expensive, and you could save a little by going with a flashable ECU instead. But either way, a real tuning solution is going to produce better results than any bolt-on parts your looking at. And regardless of how many bolt-ons you add, your not going to produce much more power anyways. The SAFC just isn't very powerful.

As is, your miles away from maxing out your 16g and even farther from properly supporting a Holset. The next step towards either of those things is a tuning solution. After maintenance of course.

I say get the compcams 101200 from ebay or wherever cheaper next for your setup. Its the best option and needed to complete your setup. You will not regret getting the camshafts, so get that and call it a day. Use the money from headgasket and studs on a performance clutch if u havent done so already. I ran almost the same setup as you did, so i know what u want.
Dont waste ## money on dsmlinkat at this point. Not needed for your setup, defeats the purpose or getting 550c and 190lpg andm16g.

One last thing, look into swaping evo ecu or 99 ecu altnernative to dsmlink. You can dump all emisions stuff on evo ecu, not sure of they have the option yet for 99.

ecmlink there is no point in mods unless you have a way to tune it. More likley you will make more power with a actually tuning device then any other wasted bolt on. Injectors, intake, exhaust, fmic, and turbo all that is really needed to make a nice car. So save up sell old ps3 or xbox 360 and save up do it right the first time dont cut loops and you will be good. Dont forget maintanance you cant have a fast car if its broke..

Dont waste ## money on dsmlinkat at this point. Not needed for your setup, defeats the purpose or getting 550c and 190lpg andm16g.

I'm not sure what you mean here, could you elaborate? Because DSMLink will work with 550's and has no clue what pump your using. Same with the flashable ECU's.

The problem with the SAFC is that it controls fuel by altering the airflow signal and tricking the ECU into delivering less fuel. But less airflow will also cause the ECU to increase ignition timing, which increase the chance of knock. Which the SAFC can't even accurately display. The SFAC also lacks the ability to adjust timing, log sensors, or log/edit ECU values. All of which are very important if you want to reliably make any decent amount of power.

BTW, your not the only person who's been around the block with a 16g. I've ran 12's with a Small 16g, 3300lb race weight, and DA of 9k feet. So there's a slim chance that I might actually know something...

what's with the dsmlink nut swinging. I guess people werent around long enough to know about or using a safc.

550, safc, 190 pump, 2g maf will take you far enough for a mild 16g build. 2g maf and 550s close to balance themselves out so no timing advances. even 660s are fine. its anything after that when timing starts to advance a lot. safc's control up to 150% injector size without drastic timing change. then there are also tricks with base timing.

Ive ran safc's, dsmlink and ems, and they all work. it just depends on what you are looking for and your goals. The safc will get you into the 11s no problem. Its just a matter of how much control you want.

Link is great, but, imo its not necessary for him. Go for some cams next like hks 272 or some bc. it will help in top end with no effects on the bottom.

So dsmlink? Well if I'm getting that anyone have one they want to sell. Like I said this is my daily driver so I'm not trying to make a five hundred horsepower car to drive to college and back. Maybe I can trade the hx35 and the dsm headers that go with it for something like v2.5 or v3 lite. And I have gauges like oil pressure and stuff like that. Just didn't feel like including it in the description. Also I might even have a ecu from an EVO already. I have a parts car that I'm selling and when I bought it the car had a full emissions delete on it and it didn't have a cel. But guys I live in ny so I have to hook up my car to a computer and it checks moniters such as egr. But couldn't link just disable that

Like I said this is my daily driver so I'm not trying to make a five hundred horsepower car to drive to college and back.

That's what I said... Get an oil pressure gauge before anything, it may not be fun but it'll save you a headache when you hit a 2x4 on the interstate and lose your oil pan. You don't need head studs before 30 psi, your not flowing enough air to need cams, an safc can support anything that turbo can throw out, I say buy beer.

Just saw the gauges part of that last post, skip straight to beer.

I wish but I'm 19 so I gotta have friends do it and not be home LOL. But the reason I got headstuds is to be safe because I bought them for 20 bucks o I would have been stupid not to do it and I want a little more hp. So then what should I do, turn up the boost and tune again? I want a 420ish hp car because that's not insane but I can still beat the stock EVO 8 and corvette at the races by me. I beat a Saab 95 viggen by 1 car and I was depressed LOL

Did you not see my post? You have a fawkn 16g, with only 550cc so DSMLink is not needed if you don't have the cash. SAFC or 2 is more than good enough.

I'm not sure what you mean here, could you elaborate? Because DSMLink will work with 550's and has no clue what pump your using

Sorry, I was posting from my cellphone.
For his purpose he won't need dsmlink. It's nice to have and he will get the most out of his mods but not worth it for him at this point.

Last time I'll say this. Get Camshafts and call it a day. You'll have a daily driven car in the high 12's, low 13's. Good enough to pull on stock evo's.

what's with the dsmlink nut swinging. I guess people werent around long enough to know about or using a safc.

550, safc, 190 pump, 2g maf will take you far enough for a mild 16g build. 2g maf and 550s close to balance themselves out so no timing advances. even 660s are fine. its anything after that when timing starts to advance a lot. safc's control up to 150% injector size without drastic timing change. then there are also tricks with base timing.

Ive ran safc's, dsmlink and ems, and they all work. it just depends on what you are looking for and your goals. The safc will get you into the 11s no problem. Its just a matter of how much control you want.

Link is great, but, imo its not necessary for him. Go for some cams next like hks 272 or some bc. it will help in top end with no effects on the bottom.

RE-READ this also.

Last edited:
well guys i just had a small graduation party so i have came into some money. i still dont want to spend all of it but i can probably afford v3lite or something like that. and i just got a pm where someone wants 225 shipped for a set of fp2 272 cams
someone also wants to trade me my hx35 ad the headers i have for it, unknown brand of headers, for a real 20g and if i add some cash a set of 850ccs. but if i do that then i really need link because from what ive herd from the tuning scene around me the safc becomes inefficient after 650s because then it pulls timing.

I've got an safc with evoscan (can't get it to hook up anymore??? But that's a whole different subject) and right now I'm trying to save up to buy link or link lite. The safc sucks. In evoscan I can gun it and watch my timing almost zero out... it has a decent power curve, but when my timing is only at 2* and I can't change it then it means I'm losing probably half my power up top. This is on a 16g running 17psi, no boost leaks, evo 560's and safc with all the other bolt ons. And since my evoscan won't recognize my cable anymore I can't log or tune at the moment... but while I could do it I still couldn't fix the problem with the measly safc. And like stated, with link you get the logger and the tuning in one, not piecing together ebay cable crap like me and only having it work 3 times....

Case in point, if I hadn't picked up the safc for $45 I would have got something different.

Ha ok well do you think I should do the trade on the turbo? And do I need the full version of link or can I just get lite.... What is the difference

As a former owner of an S-AFCII who switched to ECMLink in ~2009.. don't even bother with an S-AFC.

They work best as a paper weight, and even then not so much.

Go with V3 Lite if you are strapped for cash, but do not waste your time and money with an S-AFC.

The differences between full and lite are listed on their website. Do some research.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back