The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

What sensors are vulnerable to water damage? (coolant eruption in engine bay while driving)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gremo87

Proven Member
Mar 14, 2013
Decatur, Illinois
I made a terrible mistake one day....after topping off the coolant in my car, I forgot to put the cap back on before driving. It got up to 250+ degrees F (max on aftermarket gauge) really fast.....and there was steam billowing from under the hood. (couldn't tell while driving) I pulled over as soon as I noticed and there was coolant all over the engine bay.

What sensors could have been damaged? I've read the CAS is sensitive to things like that, and am wondering if that could be a part of my issue(s), as well as any other sensors that could be damaged by this.

:/

I would say wiring would be more susceptible to shorts because they are energized in your case. If sensors were that sensitive to moisture, then you could not hose down the engine bay (battery disconnected).

Well I'd read that the CAS was one of the things that should be covered when hosing down the engine because it's vulnerable....so I guess I'll test it n see.

As for wiring I'm not sure how I'd test that - any advice there? Just checking for power and correct voltage at wires where there should be power?

Are you having an issue with your car? All you have said is that coolant sprayed all over your engine bay. Generally, you would not be checking out sensors/wiring unless you had something develop.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back