The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G What pistons/rods should I get?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Miller

Proven Member
Jan 27, 2020
Watertown, Wisconsin
Hello fellow DSM addicts!!

I have a question and I'm sure many of you can answer. I'm currently rebuilding my first 4g63t engine and I am wondering on what internals I should run. My hp goal is around 300-450whp so what would be the best piston/rod kit for that? I know there is the tried and true eagle and manley piston and rod kit from MA performance, but that is 1k... I also found a kit for 700 from nippon racing, anyone know anything about them?

Thanks

You could use stock style pistons for that goal if you wanted, but there's no reason not to go forged if you plan to up the power in the future, plus it's an extra safety margin.

Manley makes good rods/pistons, eagle/wisecos is a proven combo, it really just depends on your goals.

Most quality aftermarket rods/pistons are going to run you around 1k so be prepared for that unless you happen to find a deal, which are out there.

Nippon racing makes factory replacement pistons for many cars, I've used many sets and been happy with them. I actually have a spare set of their pistons for a 6 bolt I may use, since I got them for free. You could definitely uses their pistons for a stock style rebuild in the bore size you need, but personally I'd recommend going forged to cover any future desire for more boost.

You could use stock style pistons for that goal if you wanted, but there's no reason not to go forged if you plan to up the power in the future, plus it's an extra safety margin.

Manley makes good rods/pistons, eagle/wisecos is a proven combo, it really just depends on your goals.

Most quality aftermarket rods/pistons are going to run you around 1k so be prepared for that unless you happen to find a deal, which are out there.

Nippon racing makes factory replacement pistons for many cars, I've used many sets and been happy with them. I actually have a spare set of their pistons for a 6 bolt I may use, since I got them for free. You could definitely uses their pistons for a stock style rebuild in the bore size you need, but personally I'd recommend going forged to cover any future desire for more boost.

That is what I am thinking. As much as I don't feel like dumping 2-3k into an engine, better safe the sorry if I plan on upping the hp. Is MA performance the best place to buy the wiseco/eagle kit?

My original build had Mahle pistons and Manley rods. I was very happy with them and was planning to get them again. Buschur said I shouldn't be running 4032 pistons in a turbocharged engine and bought me a set of 2618 Wiseco pistons for the new build. But given the f***ery surrounding this build I don't know if I'd trust their opinion on anything anymore. I shot for 9.0:1 for both builds.

If you (or anyone else) wants a set of Callies rods, I'd let them go for cheap. They're insanely beefy and nothing is wrong with them (7 bolt 100mm length) but I already have a set of Manleys in the block and can't be bothered to swap them out. Brand new in box.

My original build had Mahle pistons and Manley rods. I was very happy with them and was planning to get them again. Buschur said I shouldn't be running 4032 pistons in a turbocharged engine and bought me a set of 2618 Wiseco pistons for the new build. But given the f***ery surrounding this build I don't know if I'd trust their opinion on anything anymore. I shot for 9.0:1 for both builds.

If you (or anyone else) wants a set of Callies rods, I'd let them go for cheap. They're insanely beefy and nothing is wrong with them (7 bolt 100mm length) but I already have a set of Manleys in the block and can't be bothered to swap them out. Brand new in box.
100mm length???

For 300-400 get a set of evo pistons and rods. They will be 100% fine for you. They have been proven to do more also but how long is the other question!

I bought evo 9 units for my build because i originally was going to do the build in 2 engines so the evo ones were going to be fine for the 450hp i would shoot for more 400 in all honesty. Those are fairly cheap to be had and capable and about $100-150 so alot cheaper then other kits and the quality will be good from mitsu vs cheap ones where you fall into the low tier parts list.

I would not worry about going aftermarket yet personally unless your swapping and going to stroke it but you did not mention that so im not going there.

If you can get a nice evo crank also do that but make sure its not polished if you can. If it is make sure its done by a place thats not done tool much

Hello fellow DSM addicts!!

I have a question and I'm sure many of you can answer. I'm currently rebuilding my first 4g63t engine and I am wondering on what internals I should run. My hp goal is around 300-450whp so what would be the best piston/rod kit for that? I know there is the tried and true eagle and manley piston and rod kit from MA performance, but that is 1k... I also found a kit for 700 from nippon racing, anyone know anything about them?

Thanks
Pretty much any combo can make your goal. The build quality and tuning would be more important. Since you said this is your first 4g63 build, maybe should go OEM style pistons like @ThunderChild mentioned and stock rods (w/ upgraded ARP bolts). That's the cheapest way but work well. and upgrade them when you get used to build this engine more. It's just my opinion though.
As @llxkevinxll mentioned there are many good vendors here but MAP is a very good vendor, too.

I really like 4032 pistons if I street-drive the car a lot. Lighter and more quiet. Maybe he meant that not recommended for a extremely high boosted engine or just said his preference. 4032 pistons work very well with a turbocharged engine, too.

100mm just means for a stroker 2.3 build, they would be for a 100mm stroke crank (compared to 88mm stock stroke) it comes from a 4g64 or I know at least eagle makes a 100mm crank.

100mm length???
100mm just means for a stroker 2.3 build, they would be for a 100mm stroke crank (compared to 88mm stock stroke) it comes from a 4g64 or I know at least eagle makes a 100mm crank.
Sorry, I wasn't paying attention when I posted. 150mm stock length rods for 88mm stroke stock crankshafts.

I really like 4032 pistons if I street-drive the car a lot. Lighter and more quiet. Maybe he meant that not recommended for a extremely high boosted engine or just said his preference. 4032 pistons work very well with a turbocharged engine, too.

I didn't have any complaints with my 4032 pistons, but Buschur's words were to not use them in turbocharged engines at all. Even for 16g street builds the recommendation was 2618. So my 2618 pistons are installed in the block but Buschur still hasn't returned my head so the engine is not in the car. Five months later.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back