The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

What parts for engine rebuild?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vipergtrdj

Probationary Member
Aug 2, 2007
Brattleboro, Vermont
So I have been trolling the forums here for quiet a while - probably close to 6months+ just reading, and searching. I think I am ready in taking a step into doing some work on my 2G eclipse.

As of right now I have about $1400 - but I do not wish to sell my car and buy a GS-T, or GSX. I just want to put some money into my GS, to make it unique.

Currently it has header, full exhaust (cat delete pipe), new 5spd transmission w/ LSD. That about sums it up. Nothing big and fancy, but its a start I think.

I am ready to get cams for the engine I am rebuilding, but not sure what order to buy parts in.

Cams, EGT Gauge, wideband o2 gauge, SAFC (i have looked into the megasquirt but I rather stick with stock ECU due to passing inspection). Right now I am looking at staying N/A but possibly boosting 8psi or so in the future (maybe next year).

any suggestions?

If your LSD is a quaife get rid of it immediately (by selling it to me). If its an OBX I hope you had it rebuilt, there QC is horrid. If you didnt' I would look into getting it rebuilt for safety. As for Cams, Crower 2's NA grind are very popular whether for NA or boosting. Personally for what "order" to buy parts, build the head first, then move to the block when you are more set in what you want to do. As I said the crower 2's are good for NA or boost, where as staying NA you will want higher comp, as opposed to lowering your comp for boost.

It seems tou havea goid start, there are some vendorsand I thing some write up that provide upgrade listing by stages, they helped me out a bit. I personally get involved in what I want vs what I should logicly upgrade in ordee to end up with a good build. Seems u on the right track. Good luck.

OP, if you are getting cams you may want to consider getting some adjustable cam gears to get the most out of the cams you install.

If your LSD is a quaife get rid of it immediately (by selling it to me). If its an OBX I hope you had it rebuilt, there QC is horrid. If you didnt' I would look into getting it rebuilt for safety. As for Cams, Crower 2's NA grind are very popular whether for NA or boosting. Personally for what "order" to buy parts, build the head first, then move to the block when you are more set in what you want to do. As I said the crower 2's are good for NA or boost, where as staying NA you will want higher comp, as opposed to lowering your comp for boost.

Thanks for the input - I got the OBX and I did get it rebuilt by a local transmission shop, they even said the washers were poor quality.

I have found the Crower 2s cams for $450ish , is that a good price ?

OP, if you are getting cams you may want to consider getting some adjustable cam gears to get the most out of the cams you install.

I was looking at some - but I haven't seen good reviews on any other then AEM. Isn't OBX based off AEM ? I can't find much information on the OBX cam gears.

my getting the crower 2's for my NA and plan to boost in the future. as for cam gears, there AEM Fidanza, Crower...god knows how many different kinds....

but check through vendors list and just search google for part numbers. i found crowers for under 400.

I like how you chose to stick to your car, though the gst/GSX are great cars sometimes it's nice to see a change. However I doubt aem and obx are related. Does anyone know when OBX came into the scene?

I like how you chose to stick to your car, though the gst/GSX are great cars sometimes it's nice to see a change. However I doubt aem and obx are related. Does anyone know when OBX came into the scene?

I have been seeing OBX for a few years now - but I am sure they have been around longer then what I have seen.

Figured I already have a turbo'd car (00 passat, midly modified) , figured I would stick with N/a for a different feel and drive. I used to have a impreza 2.3l stroker, that was pretty fun.

OBX bases there designs off proven designs so it is plausible that there design is based off AEM. With that being said, OBX is basically the eBay brand, cheap, and poor quality. I have there radiator silicone hoses, and can't complain, but to use something from that can could screw up my engine? Not a chance. The OBX LSD has been proven to be a good investment AS LONG AS it is rebuilt, and even then some have reported problems. I personally went with Fidanza cam gears, good name brand, and on the cheaper end of the spectrum (price wise not quality)

Here is the best price I can find for some crower 2's CROWER CAMS - Camshaft - 420A - Race Engineering, Inc

Wow, thats a good price - any idea what "CROWER CAM:420A NA/STG 2/FRT EXH (PR)" stands for - specifically the FRT Exh(PR). I am assuming front exhaust (not sure about the pr tho).

I will have to look into the fidanza gears, I had a clutch and flywheel that brand on my Subaru - they were really nice, I liked them a lot.

Here is a picture of my GS -- nothing special,this is the day I picked her up for $500, and nothing wrong with her. Since then I have done the little mods like exhaust, painted the side mirrors flat black, and stock gst rims.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Wow, thats a good price - any idea what "CROWER CAM:420A NA/STG 2/FRT EXH (PR)" stands for - specifically the FRT Exh(PR). I am assuming front exhaust (not sure about the pr tho).

I will have to look into the fidanza gears, I had a clutch and flywheel that brand on my Subaru - they were really nice, I liked them a lot.

Here is a picture of my GS -- nothing special,this is the day I picked her up for $500, and nothing wrong with her. Since then I have done the little mods like exhaust, painted the side mirrors flat black, and stock gst rims.

WOW you only paid 500$??? i gave 1800 for my 1996 and it needed alot of suspension work (There is not alot of DSMs around here).

yeah $500, and it just needed brakes. I had to drive an hour and a half to get it but figured I was getting a deal so I did the driving. I have since found that the 5spd transmission speed gear ring that sits on the differentials like to pop off, then you lose the speedometer - but no other big problems. plus good gas mileage, so for $500 i cant complain. :D

I have since fixed my suspension and only thing left is to install my camber kit and get some tires (found some for 260$) so that would put me over 2500$+ on this car

Its a pair of cams (PR). They are describing them by saying that the exhaust cam is in the front (FRT EXH) as opposed to the Neon set-up where the exhaust cam would be in the back. And Race Engineering is where i like to get my valve train stuff. Very reputable and inexpensive.

MB

And krackit, if you are reading this, I haven't forgotten the links, LOL. I just haven't transfered my favorites yet

Thanks for the input - I got the OBX and I did get it rebuilt by a local transmission shop, they even said the washers were poor quality.

Yeah the washers suck but besides that I hope they polished up the inside and installed the gears the right direction. If you ever get a chance to pop it open take a look. The inside on the obx is rough and I mean ROUGH! Last thing you want is something to rub and throw a ton of shavings in your gears. Of course if you are too worried about it I will take it off your hands :D I'll even pay the shipping! A lot of people get new bolts too and loctite red them.

I have found the Crower 2s cams for $450ish , is that a good price ?

I was looking at some - but I haven't seen good reviews on any other then AEM. Isn't OBX based off AEM ? I can't find much information on the OBX cam gears.

PAUSE! Try avoiding OBX as much as possible. Sure, they sell some parts at low prices but a lot of their product are a waste of money. I did buy stage 2 OBX Cam Shafts and Gears when I had my 420a last year, it was a poor decision in my part.

If you're going to get adjustable cam gears, look at AEM and stick with Crower for the shafts.

My 420a took a beating after I started getting product from OBX.

Sorry for leaving the thread kind of dead with no updates. Was busy with the new transmission :D I did take your suggestion on opening the LSD and it looks really good. The transmission shop (also a very good family friend), told me that he cleaned it all up for me. He is really good, and takes good care of my family :D .

I ended up swapping in the transmission yesterday ! What a day to do it - Easter Sunday hehe.
The tranny parts I had replaced (besides the LSD and rebuilt internally) - are new shifter bushings (aluminum instead of rubber), new sensors, new clutch pivot ball, clutch fork, throw out bearing (dealership), and new clutchmaster stage 2 clutch. I haven't heard good or bad about the clutch so I am going to give it a shot and see how it is. I also painted it Dodge Orange, for the fun of it - had some paint left over from an engine I rebuilt, so figured why not paint it orange while I am at it. Turned out better then I thought.

Here is a picture of it before I got it installed, 30minutes after this picture it was in the car :D -

- spot where the tranny once lived.

any input, suggestions, comments are always welcomed :D

The old transmission approx. 135-140k miles, clutch, and throw out bearing - pretty dirty.

Last edited:
420A (Eclipse RS) : Real Street Performance Engine Parts, Pistons Rods Cams Valvetrain and More

these guys have good parts at decent prices, ive ordered from them before and plan to do it again. I bought my cams from crower's website. If im gonna build an engine, your damn right the internals will be brand new.

I have noticed that site before - cant recall from where I found it, but yes , they do seem to have some pretty nice parts :) I see myself placing an order in the near future LOL.

As for the transmission, I did use some fluid that was meant for the NVT350, I actually got it right from the mitsubishi dealer and they stated that its meant for my transmission, and its what they use. I took it out for a test drive tonight, and I must say - the new clutch is so much better then the old one. Amazing how quick it grabs now. As for the LSD, I don't notice a huge difference, other then the tires dont seem to break free on wet pavement as easy - any suggestions how to test and make sure the lsd is infact working properly ?

Well I got around to getting the pictures I took yesterday, before I took my test drive, uploaded. It appears I gotta do some rust fixing..... my strut tower has a big hole in it now - and all i did was lean on it. Guess that teaches me to lean on things. I am also in the process of cleaning up all the wires, and relocating the battery (if it ever stops raining here).

- Showing the transmission. Still nice and orange :D

Does anyone know if they have patch panels for the strut towers, or am I gonna have to end up welding a piece of metal to it? I am pretty good with welding so that's not a big deal for me. If I have to weld a piece of metal what thickness should I go ?

To test the LSD do some burn outs on dirt or gravel and make sure its leaving two sets of tire marks that are pretty close to the same length. If it's in then it should be working.

To test the LSD do some burn outs on dirt or gravel and make sure its leaving two sets of tire marks that are pretty close to the same length. If it's in then it should be working.

Thanks. Thats what I figured I would do. Just need to find a decent spot of dirt road. The LSD is in, guess Im just not sure what to look for. I need new front tires anyways (both are pretty much bald).

Update - So I found a nice straight dirt road - and sure enough, both tires leave marks approx the same length. One of the tires has a bit more tread then the other. Next project to tackle is that strut tower, I hope its nicer this weekend so I can do some welding to repair it :D

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back