The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Resolved What oil filter should I use for 90 style oil filter housing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboSpider

Proven Member
Nov 2, 2015
York, Pennsylvania
Sorry to ask such a dumb question but I am putting my engine back together after having it rebuilt and I noticed something I wasn't sure of. The oil filter I was running was off a 7 bolt it was a Purolator pbl14610 which according to advanced auto is for a 7 bolt. Now my engine is a 6 bolt block with 7 bolt head. The OFH I am using from my research on here is a 90 style OFH with the letter F stamped into the side with two ports that go out to oil cooler lines. Should I be running an oil filter for a 90 gsx only since that is what the OFH is from, or should I use anything for a 6 bolt? Kinda surprised the 7 bolt filter even screwed onto it. Are the oil filters all interchangable between 6 and 7 bolts. I see some are fatter then others. Just don't want to mess anything up and sorry for such a stupid question, I appear to be the only person asking it on here.

Here is a photo of the housing I have

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The OFHs all have the same thread for the filter so they are all physically interchangeable. I am not certain that it really matters past that point so long as the filter's sealing ring mates with the sealing surface on the housing. And since all turbo models from 1991-1999 used the same water-cooled oil cooler, it should be fine.

That said, I use the same filter with this housing as I did with the 6-bolt water-cooled turbo housing. Fram 3950, STP 3950, Wix 51381, MD031805, etc., whatever. The fat one.

Thanks guys, I will use one of the larger 90 style lsted above. May go with the Wix51381 as I hear a lot of people with DSM's run them

Wix 57092 or comparable is the evo filter. It's shorter for better down pipe clearance but large in surface area than the 1g filter. They tend to be more readily available too around me.

Got any links to share, Gary? The threaded portion on the 90 housing that the filter threads on to is cast into / is a part of the housing so I'm not sure how that would happen. :hmm:
Ok great, you should be fine then. I was only going on a comment I heard years ago. Now that I think about it more, I think it may have actually been on oil coolers coming loose on 91+ when over tightening.

Yeah just looked at mine 90 style housing and verified it is cast as one piece so no way the threaded part can come loose unless it breaks. The oil cooler coming loose concerns me a little. Should I be using blue thread locker or plumbers tape on the fittings to keep them tight?

They have sealing washers on each side of the banjo bolts so make sure you get the correct washers. No thread sealer needed on the bolts if it is factory stock.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back