The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

What modern car is most comparable to a DSM? In other words what would you buy for a newer car?

Which car to get?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any car will eventually break down and cost money to repair. The higher end euro stuff is a pita to work on and parts are expensive, but the Germans do make awesome cars. I need to replace my daily awd dsm(rusty) and bought two cars to replace it... problem is I don't have the heart to destroy two nice solid awd dsm's from salt. I have yet to find a newer car that I like and would have the patients to work on aside from an evo. But I'll prob end up buying another decent 1g awd chassis, do the needed maintenance and drive it daily. I could have a couple of nice reliable dsm's for what a nice evo cost and with 3 dsm's when one breaks down I drive the other two. Any performance car that's not stock is gonna be an ongoing project.... I wouldn't be the dude in a rwd sports car in the middle of winter tho especially after the past two winters we've had here. The most fun I have driving a car is when we have over 12" of snow and a drifted road.

Lol, this is why I love this community. A normal sane person would get a reliable daily like op when then dsm no longer cuts it, but then theres the rest of us lunatics that are just like screw it I'll get 2 more dsms and rotate through the 3 of them. Classic haha

Lol, this is why I love this community. A normal sane person would get a reliable daily like op when then dsm no longer cuts it, but then theres the rest of us lunatics that are just like screw it I'll get 2 more dsms and rotate through the 3 of them. Classic haha

Lmao. It's so damn true. If you have enough DSM's eventually you'll be able to just switch off everytime one breaks to have a DSM all year long!

Leaked price was 34k i believe. They are saying 35k at the moment. Where did you get this 40k+ number from?
Dealer markup/ricer tax. Just wait. :)
For those doing math 35 is still > 30.

Dealer markup/ricer tax. Just wait. :)
For those doing math 35 is still > 30.

The 2015 evo is 35k. The price seems spot on for its competition.

Specially when you consider the focus will likely have more factory power with significantly less weight and it will actually handle straight out of the box with some oversteer.

It really should be in a league of its own. Assuming its not some limited production run.

If you think the RS will be any less of a niche than the EVO/STI, you're insane. Out of the 300 million people in the country that you've referred to, an insignificant percentage gives a crap about "fun" stock cars. Of those, people only a fraction are going to mod/race them. Hence why they will still sell the Focus ST, and sell far more of them than the RS. Same story with the WRX vs STI, same reason that Honda sells the Si but has never brought the Type R here. And the same reason that the EVO is dead.

For further evidence, see the 25 year import restriction for bringing cars into the US. There have been several petitions put up over the years and not once has it reached the minimum 25k signatures required.

The Focus and Fiesta RS and ST are also handicapped by the fact that they're manual trans only. I'm at a point where I have the DSM for a weekend fun car, and I want an auto for a daily. Therefore, cars like the Fords, Mazdaspeeds, Si, etc get instantly ruled out. With the emergence of DCT transmissions, it's no longer a handicap to have an automated box, and in most cases it's an advantage. Even the WRX, which came in auto early on and then became 5spd only, has brought back a CVT option. The purists can cry about it, but it's the future. If GTRs and pretty much every supercar come with automated shifters - mostly as the only option at this point - there's no reason they can't give us the option in sub-$50k sporty cars.

Also, when you say the RS will "actually handle straight out of the box", have you ever driven an EVO X? It's a phenomenal car, the turn-in and rotation is amazing, the AYC does it's job without feeling like it's in the way, and you can certainly get them to oversteer if you want.

Of course its a niche market. But name anything that will compete with it in its category. The evo has always been even more of a niche than the RS will be, simply from its appearance. Its always been an ugly lancer with a ricer body kit. Which obviously appealed to a very small market.

Most enthusiasts cry about not having a true manual option so i dont see that hurting its sales in anyway. Its not like the target audience are soccer mom's or something.

Its a turbo awd hatch made in america. The thing is going to sell like hotcakes. Specially with the evo dead. So many people have been clamoring for this car since its foreign release.

The RS's awd system also sends 70% of the power to the rear. Something mitsu could never figure out. They also addressed the suspension issues that mistu also couldnt figure out.

"The secret of good behavior for the new RS is its front suspension. The Focus’s standard MacPherson-strut arrangement has been augmented by a two-piece lower link that Ford calls “Revo-Knuckle.” This configuration moves the steering axis outward to reduce its distance from the center of the contact patch (called kingpin offset or scrub radius), which helps to minimize the torque-steer effect. This dictated a 1.6-inch-wider track (and wider bodywork to suit). The result is great traction along with precise, predictable handling, excellent body control, and a ride that is firm but entirely reasonable for a car of this potential."

Solid engine with the eco-boost, proper drivetrain and suspension.

On top of all that, ford will offer factory approved ECU Tuning that will not void the warranty. They've listened to the community and did the research. Issues have been addressed. Theres really nothing to hate about this car.

I agree with steve its a niche market targeted at teenagers and people thru their early 20's. Problem for the evo, sti, and focus is no one in that age category can afford a $35k car. The people that have that kind of money want luxurious sport sedans not boy racer cars. Its truly sad and the reason the evo got killed. The evo had been the most anticipated car to hit US markets back in 2003 and look what happened to it. The same will happen to the focus no matter how awesome we may think they are. A major portion of the population doesn't care. Talking about the younger generation... no one wants sports cars its all about diesel trucks.

i was leaving the store the other day and could hear a car taking off it was a Cadillac cts tt all black sounded SO good and was pretty damn quick. ever science that I've been looking into them. (like i really need a 3rd project)
I think I know what caddy your talking about it is seriously beast if not the same then theres one in the seattle Tukwila area that I always see

Has anyone mentioned mk4 supra? N/t ones are cheap and can be modded to run 600hp with out cracking the engine open. Itd be a really good choice and an investment in which youd see a return in when selling.
But as for the list if you dont deal with ice and snow you can really do without awd. My moneys on the BRZ, Focus RS or new mustang best deals out there right now. A mx5 mazda speed model would be another great choice, i think you should pass on the c5 idea tho.... But thats just me.

A c5 you mean? I don't have cash, but I think I should be able to get a loan. Depending on the features, mileage and overall condition I might be interested even. Although I'm not looking to buy quite yet, I want to free up the money going to my lease payments before buying something, or at least be a month or two out, I think I have about 9 or 10 months left now.

No, I was refering to my 1990 Eagle Talon TSi. However I think i'm going to wait until I get back to GA to make up my mind.

Last edited:
I wanted a Focus RS. Decent power with 4 doors and enough room with the hatch to grab a few things from home depot. It was a win win. However, pricing was still undetermined and I definitely didn't want to spend 40k on one. Ended up getting a new Evo X after my buddy who is a Sale's Manager took good care of me.

And there is nothing wrong with a 30 year old that drives a "boy racer" car. :p

Its all personal preference. I have 2 dsm's in the garage that I plan to keep on the road for the next 20years at least. My DD beater.... it has lived a hard life but I'm looking to replace it. I am also in the quest to stock parts that are getting difficult/expensive to find(transmissions, transmission parts, rear axles, rear diff, ect) to ensure they will be drivable for years to come.

I'm surprised you made it through that accident without getting real messed up.
as for that car list.. I wouldn't buy many on that list maybe 370z that's about it, which didn't even make the list. drive and keep stock an Evo or sti maybe. issue with dsms is you will never get your time or money back if it's totaled. what about a tesla model 3?

I'm surprised you made it through that accident without getting real messed up.
as for that car list.. I wouldn't buy many on that list maybe 370z that's about it, which didn't even make the list. drive and keep stock an Evo or sti maybe. issue with dsms is you will never get your time or money back if it's totaled. what about a tesla model 3?
This is an old thread buddy. LOL

I don't know about you guys but I'm not a fan of electric cars. Mark my words, I will never own one.

Whoa, first OP, glad to see you made it out of that accident. One of the reasons I've been thinking about getting rid of my DSM is because of your exact accident, a head on collision with a car with late 80s engineering where you probably wouldn't survive, yet you did. Great to hear but horrible visual, wow.

I have also thought about your scenario and heres what I would consider doing that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

2013-17 Dodge Challenger 3.6L AWD GT.
Ripp Supercharger = 425whp & 360wtq at only 11psi. $6000 extra.

Coupe, Auto, Awd, bigger engine for more power potential if you go E50/E85, cheaper parts vs other cars, transmission potential that can handle Hell Cat & modern era vehicle crash safety. Eventually put some wheels on it and it's a cool modern move up.

Old thread! wow! I do not drive my DSM if I can help it, granted I am in Alaska 9 months out of the year and when I am in town I just hijack my friends cars or take mass transit. I would hate to be in an accident like that or in general with how much time and money I have invested in this car. But if my Volvo S60R didnt get totaled in a head on collision a day before my birthday I wouldnt be here in a DSM.

When I was car buying back in 2018 I was between this a new Mustang GT 350, a R32, another Volvo S60R (seriously that 5 cyl turbo is godly), and a C4 Corvette Z06. So you can say my tastes are all over the place. Granted being 23 at the time meant most of these cars would have skyrocketed my insurance.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back