The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

What makes vacuum?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PropXprt

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 19, 2002
Springfield, Illinois
I had a friend ask me today, "why does your boost gauge read vacuum?" I had a difficult time giving him a clear answer. Would someone give me a clear definition or a link to a good resource so that I may explain this to him better.

As your piston pulls down with the intake valve open and the exhaust valve closed, it pulls air from the intake, when the throttle blade is closed it has a limited supply it can pull in so it creates a vacuum. Your boost gauge is tapped into your intake (if its aftermarket) so thats why you read vacuum there, if it was before the TB, you probably wouldn't.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back