The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

What makes the SRT4 sound that way?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrystanGST

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 29, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Every time I hear an SRT4 let off the gas, I grin. I just like the way the exhaust burbles. My question is what makes the car sound that way? Is it the exhaust, or the engine, or both? And is there a way to make my Eclipse do it? :D

I have a 1998 ECLIPSE GST and i kept the stock headers and downpipe and converted the rest into a 3 inch straight pipe eghaust with a mangnaflow custom muffler and it sounds a lot nicer and cleaner than any srt4. since the eclipse is turbocharged, having a straightpipe isnt that crazzy as you may think because the turbo does filter out some of the sound since its connected to the headers.

Does anyone have a sound clip of a turbo dsm with just cat and a resonator? I was considering a setup like that. If the neon can get away with it, why can't I? :D

I have seen a video of a wrx with not cat or resonators. There is no way that that setup could be used on the street, but the demonic big block sound (compliments of unequal length stock manifold) with turbo spool was amusing.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i136.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid136.photobucket.com/albums/q184/marka_bucket/exhaust.flv">

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i136.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid136.photobucket.com/albums/q184/marka_bucket/Video009.flv">

The last video had the turbo seal blown,so thats why u see that much smoke :DD

Holy dead thread Batman. ROFL

J/K
Definately a cool idea to run just resonators in order to get that sound. I never would have thought of that one. Just goes to show you can learn somehthing new everyday. :thumb:

They sound that way because the ECU actually adds fuel during deceleration, while our dsm's actually fuel cuts during deceleration, and that's the difference. The first year srt-4 actually sounded different during deceleration since it didn't have this "feature" unless they upgraded to a mopar stage 1 ECU. Subsequent srt's actually came with "stage 1" installed from the factory which included the different ECU and bigger injectors and that's why most srt's that you see sound that way. Obviously the lack of mufflers adds to this effect.

Here's what mopar says about their stage 1 ECU:
# Increased WOT and part throttle boost
# Improved turbo responce
# Boost hold feature suring WOT shifts
# Enhanced 1st gear boost schedule for a high-performance launch
# More aggressive exhaust note during deceleration

SRT-4's are just a neon just like turbo dsms are just dsms. Its pretty stupid to hate them just because their n/a counterparts are slow when you all drive a car that is the exact same way.

"On deceleration (with injector cut-off working) most factory cars run retarded timing, such as 10-12 degrees. However, in modified cars this has been found at times to cause an exhaust burble, and if this is unwanted, more advanced timing (20 - 26 degrees) can be used. The amount of deceleration timing advance that is used may affect the strength of engine braking that is available."

That's from this autospeed article,
Browser Warning

My car will pop and snap and make all sorts of noise while I'm engine braking. I have 2.5" DP, cat, and that's about it. Tuning wise it's just a hacked out MAF with raised fuel pressure until it runs right (about 50psi base pressure). Not the best setup, but I'm not pushing it hard until I get a logger and a wideband. I'd rather it didn't make all that noise, but I'm just thankful that it runs.

it is caused from the deceleration fuel when you let off the gas srt4 fuel i thank stase on a little bit so if you had standalone you can Get It Poppin LOL

My exhaust makes the gurgling and popping noises ...very distinctly on even a light decel. It's especially apparent if I'm engine braking and have the rpms over ~3500. I'm currently running a 3" DP to atmosphere, but it did this even with the stock DP and cat in place.

I've heard people say that the turbo's turbine is the cause, something about the turbine still spinning and pulling exhaust from the head, not sure how true that is though. The person who said that also told me that it is more prevalent when the turbine is smaller and more restrictive.

The post about ignition timing makes some sense, but I believe timing actually jumps quite high under vacuum conditions (?).

It's a mystery to me, but I do kinda enjoy the sound.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back