The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

What makes the SRT4 sound that way?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrystanGST

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 29, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Every time I hear an SRT4 let off the gas, I grin. I just like the way the exhaust burbles. My question is what makes the car sound that way? Is it the exhaust, or the engine, or both? And is there a way to make my Eclipse do it? :D

It doesn't have any mufflers, just resonators, so it's a straight through exhaust system. (except for the cats)

mine gurgles also - ( makes little poping sounds )

also if im not mistaking .. doesnt the srt4 have a 2.4 ?

My Tsi does... I have strait pipe, not even a cat, from the turbo alll the way back to the Dynomax muffler... it gurgles. :talon:

DSMSpyder99 said:
the size of the engine has nothing to do with it. thekellbeast answer is right the lack of mufflers is what makes it sound like that

How do they get away with having no muffler?

DSMSpyder99 said:
the size of the engine has nothing to do with it.
are you kidding me?!?!?! have you ever heard a 2.4 or 2.3 dsm swap? size has a lot to do with it....of course exhaust setup has an effect on how much and how loud what you hear is, but discplacement has a lot to do with the actual sound that's made......ever hear a 1.8 or 1.6 with no muffler?

this makes me sad to listen to a fellow dsmer say he wants to make his car sound like a neon... its just not right our dsms have a beautiful note.. dont change it please

rdeterman said:
this makes me sad to listen to a fellow dsmer say he wants to make his car sound like a neon... its just not right our dsms have a beautiful note.. dont change it please
srt4 not neon it has a turbo and sounds good so why is it so bad

No mufflers on the SRT4 is right. Just some resonators.

Put a nice big 3" stright through exhaust with only a resonator on your DSM and it'll most likely sound the same.

Its a damn neon. Get a big downpipe, take out your cat, get 3inch piping all the way back to the muffler and yours will rumble and blurble like mine does. Yes it is a SRT4, a DODGE NEON SRT4. If you like em so much, go buy one and sell your DSM to someone who will appreciate it and all of the sounds it makes. :mad: :dsm:

jmakado said:
are you kidding me?!?!?! have you ever heard a 2.4 or 2.3 dsm swap? size has a lot to do with it....of course exhaust setup has an effect on how much and how loud what you hear is, but discplacement has a lot to do with the actual sound that's made......ever hear a 1.8 or 1.6 with no muffler?

yes i have heard Scot Gary stroker (1G from Ulitmate Street Challenge) and like i said it has nothing to do with engine size. His full 3" is the qiuetiest i have ever heard almost stock level. The sound of the exhaust comes from the muffler not the engine. If you are implying the 1.6 and 1.8 are B-Series Honda Motors then yes i have heard a few with no mufflers and it didnt have the RiCeY sound if that is what your trying to prove. The tinny sounds come from the design of the muffler. One of my friends has a GSR with a flowmaster muffler it sounds just as deep and throaty as mine.

MilwaukeeGSX said:
i dont care if it has a Jet engine on it....its still a neon
and a evo is still a crap lancer. a camaro ss is only a rs. and a gsx is only a rs. :rolleyes:

now dont get me wrong. i think the neon is ugly. but you gotta admit. it did raise the bar for "new fwd sporty compacts". bang for the buck is almost stupid. its about time a domestic put a serious motor in the fwd import battle.now they gotta catch up on the styling. :talon:

Everyone has there own opinions of different cars. Yes the SRT4 is a great car out of the box (stock) but I couldn't bring myself to buy one..in my mind its still a NEON. But they so sound nice...but I like my sound better..Nice and deep.

Eastwood95 said:
Its a damn neon. Get a big downpipe, take out your cat, get 3inch piping all the way back to the muffler and yours will rumble and blurble like mine does. Yes it is a SRT4, a DODGE NEON SRT4. If you like em so much, go buy one and sell your DSM to someone who will appreciate it and all of the sounds it makes. :mad: :dsm:

:rolleyes:

TrystanGST, if you want that rumble sound do as said. Get a 2.5" or 3" exhaust and delete the cat. You can use a resonator and still get that type of sound. Just use a bullet straight-through resonator. I have basically the same setup as what Vtecrex described. Sounds great and has a nice low garble to it when I let off the throttle.

Just buy those exhaust mods you have in your "wishlist" and you will sounding the way you want too. :thumb:

Eastwood95 said:

Did we tell YOU what to do with your car?

My exhaust rumbles when it gets hot. 2.5"DP stepped to 3" w/ HKS muffler. Test pipe.

I've been told my car sounds like a jet if I pass close by, 3" turbo-back exhaust with a HiFlow 3" Cat. <shrug>

yeah. ATR gurgles pretty nicely.

Why do SRT-4s have dual exhaust? I never really understood that.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back