The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

what kind of valve stem seals are needed for a 3 angle valve job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

you'll still be slower than me by the time i'm done. hehe! :D ROFL

me---> :tease:
david---> :| :rolleyes: :sosad: :(

not to sound like an ass but oversized valves arent really needed until your deep into the 10s. the 1g heads are not a limiting factor on these cars. if you have all that money like you say, i would do a mild forged motor with cams and put a decent size turbo on there (60-1) with a built tranny and dsmlink. cant go wrong there.

dnhieu said:
DAMN! since you people are going to maul me i guess ill tell you the WHOLE story. i worked about 12 hours a day for about 3 months during the summer. i saved up about 6k for my motor rebuild, supra intercooler,RnR full 3" turbo back exhaust, set of 550cc injectors, 3gen rx-7 rims (getting painted gun metal), tires for the rx7 rims, and possibly if i have enough money a fuel pressure regulator.

the parts im buying for the head are all parts i will be using further on in my venture. like 1mm over sized valves and a 3 angle valve job. these will be used to their potential when i get a larger turbo. ill probably throw in some Manley springs and retainers for when i get a chipped ecu (rev to 8k+++) or cams. for now these parts are not hurting the performance and saves me lots of money for when my stock rebuilt head isn't good enough for a 60 trim.

please take the negativity some where else please :thumb:
You say possibly a fp regulator. That would be way higher on my list than oversized valves but I guess that is just me.

peregrine said:
not to sound like an ass but oversized valves arent really needed until your deep into the 10s. the 1g heads are not a limiting factor on these cars. if you have all that money like you say, i would do a mild forged motor with cams and put a decent size turbo on there (60-1) with a built tranny and dsmlink. cant go wrong there.

im trying to get the motor ready for possible 10's. im 20 pay for school and work part time (while school is in) why bother pulling the head when you can already have everything needed to run 10s? i guess im not seeing things the way everyone else is

1990greenGSX said:
So how do you guys mod your cars?? All at once while spending about 10k?? i mean ya, he may only have a 16g and a 2.5 exhaust now. But, maybe he is looking to upgrade to a larger turbo and supporting mods later. So if he is building an engine now, why not make it suitable for what his end goal is rather than do the job twice? i just didnt see the need to criticize someone for the way in which they mod their car! I mean if we all did it the same, we would all have 12.0@*** mph cars with the same mods. Kind of boring isnt it? Keep in mind people who go against the grain find new concepts that may work better than the ones we know now.
Mark
SBR

Mark, no one criticized this guy. His reasoning was challenged but that's not critique. It's really up to the individual who's putting down the cash but most folks will tell him that headwork on a fairly mild car is not a good "Bang for your buck" mod. dnhieu was talking about moving up to 550cc injectors too but will run out of fuel far before a stock head (1G or 2G) becomes a hindrance.
Advise is not criticism. Trying to paint this as out of the box thinking is a stretch.

dnhieu said:
im trying to get the motor ready for possible 10's. im 20 pay for school and work part time (while school is in) why bother pulling the head when you can already have everything needed to run 10s? i guess im not seeing things the way everyone else is

Guys are running 10's on bone stock 2G heads and most likely , you will be pulling the head before you hit your goal. I see this in a pragmatic way and feel your investment would pay larger dividends placed somewhere else in your car. The decision is entirely yours though. Enjoy your build up!

dnhieu said:
if your motor has good compression and passes a leakdown fairly well it will run 10s with the right hard/software and tuning. you dont NEED a forged motor to go fast. it just helps when you do stupid shit getting there. its just funny to me that you would spend your hard earned money on something everyone here is telling you is not necessary. yeah it would help in the long run but 1mm over valves give you about 5-10 horses max if that. its all the work on the exhaust side and combustion chamber where your power is. i wanted to go all out on my rwd project but came to the conclusion that a mild port job with cams will get me to my 9 sec goal in the car. if you want to run 10s, you better do alot of homework before you spend your money or else youll get frustrated and end up selling the car. trust me ;)

peregrine said:
if your motor has good compression and passes a leakdown fairly well it will run 10s with the right hard/software and tuning. you dont NEED a forged motor to go fast. it just helps when you do stupid shit getting there. its just funny to me that you would spend your hard earned money on something everyone here is telling you is not necessary. yeah it would help in the long run but 1mm over valves give you about 5-10 horses max if that. its all the work on the exhaust side and combustion chamber where your power is. i wanted to go all out on my rwd project but came to the conclusion that a mild port job with cams will get me to my 9 sec goal in the car. if you want to run 10s, you better do alot of homework before you spend your money or else youll get frustrated and end up selling the car. trust me ;)

im going with a ross/eagle combo but honestly im confused on what to do with the head. what things should i do to the head that will easily get me to the 11s?

thanks

dnhieu said:
im going with a ross/eagle combo but honestly im confused on what to do with the head. what things should i do to the head that will easily get me to the 11s?

thanks
ROFL there is no "easily into the 11s". leave your head bone stock and put some cams in it and a bigger turbo. tune it and youll go 11s (with fuel). *bangs head against wall from repeating myself*

it also has to beable to be able to withstand the abuse too. you think springs and retainers are something to look into?

thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back