The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

what kind of gas mileage are you getting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squint

Probationary Member
Aug 3, 2002
Honolulu_Hi
Hi, I'm just curious at what kind of MPG (miles per gallon) or how many miles you are getting per full tank?

please list mods and type of driving

I'm currently getting around 210-230 miles per full tank, i fill my tank with exactly 11 gallons of 92 octane. thats what 20 bucks buy in hawaii.

right now i have just an intake, 2.5 dp and 3in full piping catback

car is just used for transportation, once in a while i would just sample it a few times.

last tank i got 165 miles, my purge solenoid ticks as loud as some lifters do though LOL, and i can smell gas at times. on highway i manage 20ish.

last tank i got 165 miles, my purge solenoid ticks as loud as some lifters do though LOL, and i can smell gas at times. on highway i manage 20ish.

Sounds like you got some problems going on with your car as well. 165 miles on a tank doesn't sound good unless your running insane amounts of power and your on the gas all the time.

when i got my first DSM and i drove like an a**hole, i got about 12mpg. not sure what i get now, my car is down.

The best I got on my 97 GS I owned was getting 26 mpg city and once got 41 miles hwy, 36 avgerage. It would get 200-220 miles to half a tank. The 2 GSX's I have/had both get 18-21 mpg city not sure hwy. They get 130-150 miles to half a tank and about 275-300 a full tank. Its all on how much you boost with a turbo car.

:dsm:

if i set the boost down to 4psi and still got on it at every stop would it help the gas milage compared to 15 psi? or better yet, im loving the n/t milage. what if i set the boost to like 1? or is it possible to completely stay out of boost and still rev the engine to 4500ish rpms? just for economic situations of course...

if i set the boost down to 4psi and still got on it at every stop would it help the gas milage compared to 15 psi? or better yet, im loving the n/t milage. what if i set the boost to like 1? or is it possible to completely stay out of boost and still rev the engine to 4500ish rpms? just for economic situations of course...

Less air= less gas. I bet you can't stand it though! Turbo engines are gutless without the turbo. The turbo still spools the same, so all that boost would just be dumping out. That would be like buying a 12 pack and pouring out 11 of them! :toobad:

I can't stay out of boost either, it's like a drug!

BTW, about 200 miles, gas light to gas light for me.

heres a good idea......fill up your car when the lights goes on with a certain amount of gas....lets say 9 gallons....then reset your trip meter. Drive it for however long the tank last you until the gas light turns on again....fill the car up....and if it goes just over 9 gallons or maybe even under.........8 or 10 gallons......divide the gallons into how many miles that are one the trip meter...then you get an idea what your average mpg is.

I filled up with 9.1 gallons....drove for 256 miles.....then had to fill up again....this time....I filled up to 9.8 gallons. I divided 9.8 into 256 and it equaled 26.1.....mpg. Thats highway and city driving. I have a bone stock Laser RS FWD turbo and I hit boost everytime I go on the freeway or go up a hill. Love being in 5th on the freeway going 75 on a uphill.

Change the oil, fuel filter, spark plugs, ignition wires, clean the air filter, make sure your tires are at 35psi....your mileage should increase. With your non turbo...automatic...you should be getting at least 29 or 30 mpg....depending on you driving habits.

on the o2 sensour part, wouldnt it through a code if it wasnt working correctly? also I bought this car with 97k and I dont know about any previous work that was done, Im sure the timming belt was done as the cover looks to have been removed at one time, I plan on doing a minor tune up tomorow on it. Also this mileage is strictly in town mileage, my GF is driving it right now since im working on her car.

The o2 can be bad and not throw a code. After the spark plug change, you should see a difference. Maybe something is clogged in your fuel system? Change you fuel filter as well.

The o2 can be bad and not throw a code. After the spark plug change, you should see a difference. Maybe something is clogged in your fuel system? Change you fuel filter as well.

yea Im going to do the fuel filter as well now that you guys mention it...

honestly this is my first 4cyl car since I had a POS honda accord back in 97 (it was a 91) I have a stable full of big cars and trucks. THing is seems that these cars would get better mileage regardless, my 99 towncar and my 2000 for interceptor make the same if not better at times! and they are large v8 cars! even my truck has incredible mileage for what it is 22+!

ok so I got my girl to drop off my car at the shop yesterday and drive my truck for work, so I could change the plugs and whatnot. At everyones advice I ordered up a fuel filter, so I jack the car up and yank the old one off........ as im tipping it to dump the excess fuel, I got some sand and other deposits out of it, and then what appears to be the nastiest mud looking gas ive ever seen come out of a filter! it stained the concrete BROWN! :notgood: So im like that for sure is going to help, so on with the new one.

Now im on top of the motor, it appears to have had wires not to long ago (cheapo walmart type wires) so I pull a plug, (autolite) and it looks realy lean, im not sure where these cars run at. But if that plug was like that in one of my race atvs, I would have had a fried motor! So new fresh champions go in, checked all hoses and connections for any loose ends (found one) and started it up.. It drives noticeably better now with more power and smoother running so I hoped that helped I wont really know until she tells me later this week.

thanx for the help guys! any other ideas?

Daily driving I pretty consistently pull 26,27 MPG. That is about half highway and half with me putting my foot in it every time I take off.

I took it to the strip for TNT, ran it about 4 hours straight, my mileage went down to about 20 mpg.

I took it to the strip for TNT, ran it about 4 hours straight, my mileage went down to about 20 mpg.

That seems incredibly good to me for running a car as hard as it can.

If I try my absolute hardest to shift at or below 2500, I can pull 30+ on my N/T w/o turbo.

I just averaged about 21 MPG mixed driving last tank of gas. I still shifted around 3000-3500 through 1, 2, 3, and sometimes 4th when I go to the airport which is a 5 mile drive. I run 93 octane, 9:1 compression on 1g timing advance. I get around 40-45* of timing advance in part-throttle driving. Minnimal knock 3-7 occasionally. I used Lucas Oil fuel additive that tank and it increased my MPG by 3 and reduced my knock counts. NO EGR and no AC.

I just made a 261 mile drive and used 7.5 gallons of gas. Thats what it took to refill the car. That equals close to 35mpg. Tire pressure was between 30-35 psi. 10w40 conventional Mobil clean 5000. I use 93 octane Shell Vpower. I shift normally at 3500 but light on the gas. HKS 264/272 cams dont like short shifting at all.

Just was checking this on fuel mileage and what I get sounds about right.

The past few tanks have averaged between 24-25mpg. I think I can squeeze a bit more out of it... need to put new plugs and wires plus a few other things.

21 mpg in the city ..always off boost....

not too shabby for a 13.0-13.3 sec car....

I find that hard to believe. I know of only a few cars in teh 40mpg range and an Eclispe/Talon sure isn't one of those.

I get 17 mpg (US gallons).
For the Canadians/Europeans out there, I get 14 litres per 100km or 20mpg (Imperial gallons).

I usually do short trips, usually less than 50Km (30mi.) every other day in slow moving traffic. I like starting from a stop at 1500-2000rpm and shifting at 4500rpm and use mountainous/steep roads. I don't tend to stay in 4th gear much except on non-work days where the Talon gets both flat highway and hilly city driving.

Math (mostly so I could help myself convert into US volumes/distances):

14 litres per 100km = 3.7 US gal per 62mi. = 16.7 mpg

14 litres per 100km = 3.08 Imp gal per 62mi. = 20.1 mpg

4.54 litres = 1 Imp gal
3.78 litres = 1 US gal

Last edited by a moderator:
when I went to ohio for the DSM shootout I got about 28MPH on Highway cruzing @75mph but get 17-19MPG around town. When I'm tuning the car for WOT I get anywhere between 8 & 11 MPG running 23PSI.
Mods in profile

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back