The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

What kind of car jack do you have/use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my dreamt dsm

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 29, 2007
Somewhere In, California
Looking to by a car jack. I was interested in a craftsman racing jack my buddy had that is no longer in production. Now I'm looking towards harbor freight jacks. Are they any good?
Need something low and fast.
A story a few years ago. I went to sears to buy jacks for my civic. It was the third one of the day. Nice and low. Went to jack it up and guess what... I couldn't even fit my jack stands under. What a b.... you know! So at the end of the day I returned all three jacks back to sears. So now I'm skeptical about buying craftsman's car jacks.

Last edited:
I'm using a Craftsman jack but I got the jack and stands as a gift. I need a low profile speed jack too LOL

I haven't had any issues with my jack except that it lowers itself very slowly for some reason. Maybe half inch in an hour or so.

I have 2 cheap ass jacks from Autozone, I've had them for 2, almost 3 years and they have yet to fail me *knock on wood*.

I have 2, 3 ton capacity floor jacks from harbor freight. One is low profile(for the talon) the other is normal height for all of the other cars I work on. They both work great! And you can't beat a 2 year warranty for 10$.

Looking at the post that Brian linked to I completely agree that most low profile jacks don't have a long enough reach to be truly useful. I use to have a similar routine involving homemade ramps, blocks of wood and 2 different jacks to finally get my car where I wanted it. I got this one from Harbor Freight a few months back and it's made things much, much easier.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=67045&submit2=find+it

I wish it went as high as Brian's. BTW, if you want something lightweight and portable then this is not for you. It weighs 115 lbs.

I payed $111.99. Regular price was 139.99 but marked down at the time.

Stock scissor jack ftw!! Lol. My car is so low I have to use it before my regular jack. :)

Here's hands down, the best jack you could find, if you can find one.

Walker mechanical jack. era 1920's-1930's

Attachments

• Walker1.jpg
    Walker1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 221
Looking at the post that Brian linked to I completely agree that most low profile jacks don't have a long enough reach to be truly useful. I use to have a similar routine involving homemade ramps, blocks of wood and 2 different jacks to finally get my car where I wanted it. I got this one from Harbor Freight a few months back and it's made things much, much easier.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=67045&submit2=find+it

I wish it went as high as Brian's. BTW, if you want something lightweight and portable then this is not for you. It weighs 115 lbs.

Just an FYI for anyone considering getting this jack. Mine failed on me after a few uses. I exchanged it for a new one and that one failed on me after two uses. Hydraulic issues. They were bled several times, no change. So caveat emptor.

Mine had seals start to leak a couple months ago. My brother and I dealt with it as long as possible, until the point it wouldn't lift any more. We rebuilt part of the hydraulic unit a couple weeks ago and now it works like it always has. This was about 2.5 years after the initial purchase.

There is a jack for lowered cars it has to arms that grab the tire and lift the car by the tire. I can not remember the name of it.

Great! I was just going to buy those harbor freight jacks. If you guys say it failed. i guess I'll have to resort back to craftsman jacks!

I have two craftsman's i have a couple cheap autozone jacks, 2 otc jacks and a lift :)

Jack?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Jack stands were placed under the car before anyone went under it. :D

They are much much much stronger than they look. I tested it with an F-150 before I pulled my car on. They have good lateral stability too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't believe you guys and those questionable ways to jack your car ^^

My jack has probably been the best investment I've ever made in my life. LOL.

I use this kind:

7"exhaust_tip;152227472 said:
Can't believe you guys and those questionable ways to jack your car ^^

My jack has probably been the best investment I've ever made in my life. LOL.

I use this kind:

I'm skeptical what brand, specs, and where can I buy it!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back