The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

What is this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black Widow97

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 2, 2010
Oxbow, North_Dakota
What is this bolted to my motor mount? I have never seen it before on any of my other cars. Both of my 95 and 97 Talon AWD, manual trans did not have it. This is a 95 Talon AWD Automatic. Is this something only automatics have? What does it do?

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_1315.jpg
    IMG_1315.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1316.jpg
    IMG_1316.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1317.jpg
    IMG_1317.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 47
Its a funny thing...its actually sort of a counter weight to cancel out vibrations through the motor mount...I think its due to your car being an auto, not sure though

Its weird how it works but its works...by adding that thing, which is just weight, it helps to cancel out vibrations...the 350Z and EvoX have weights also...the EvoX has a pretty heavy one under the front bumper

Some how before the cars are released from the factory, there is a test thats done to them to find vibrations or something like that and they solve these vibrations by just adding weight to help blance things out...its hard to explain but I read about this once and it made perfect sense, haha

It is kinda a 2g thing because that is when they started applying them. At the factory during production they check each individual car for excessive vibrations and add the counter weights as needed. If the car doesnt have excessive vibrations then the weight isnt added on. I was stumblen around on the internet and found a bunch of useless info on dsm production process.

my Versa has something exactly like this...i too was stumped. I see these on all different cars i work on at work...most seem to be just light molded rubber bolted on.

The weights are not there to balance anything out, its because everything has a natural resonance when things start vibrating together at the same resonance you feel it. So manufacturers instead of re-engineering diff vehicle systems they add those weights to make it heavier thus causing the resonance to come in later and not causing a vibration, at least thats how it is described in my NVH classes

Some how before the cars are released from the factory, there is a test thats done to them to find vibrations or something like that and they solve these vibrations by just adding weight to help blance things out...its hard to explain but I read about this once and it made perfect sense, haha

I had a friedn who used to work at Ricardo and he was in the vibration and dampening dept. And that was basically his job, a new vehicle would come out and it had a vibration or hum and they would do all kinds of tripped out test and fix the problem.
The vehicle would go back to the manufacture and put into production.

LOL sorry wnet on a tangent, in short YES you are correct.:D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back