The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Resolved What is this wire inside my ecu? never seen this before (pic)..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doesitonall4rs

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 26, 2005
cherry hill, New_Jersey
Hey guys I have a 1991 eagle talon tsi AWD. Anyways I recently purchased DSMlink, so I also have a galant vr-4 with a socketed eprom ecu. I took the ecu out and took it apart because the exterior cases are different and went to swap it with my talon Non Eprom ECU. There was a strange wire soldered on the bottom of the Non Eprom ECU. Strange thing is both ECUs are a 1991 but when I put the Talon ECU into the galant the car drove very poorly it would decelerate when it would be around 2500rpms. My talon with the non Eprom ECU has been running fine for 3years now. Its always had some wierd studdering issue when you would be partial throttle but I got used to it, because WOT the car always ran great!

But here is a pic wonder if anyone has seen this wire. ( I outlined it in red)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

lemme know what you guys think it is!

Thank you

Solution
I bet that the caps had leaked and that wire was run to fix the fact that the trace to control the MPI relay was damaged.

There is usually a cleaner way to fix it, but that's cheap and dirty. I find that there is often more corrosion still going on and once you get to where the trace is open you'll find more problems or soon to be problems in the nearby traces. When they just slap the wire on like that they usually don't find/fix the other problems.
I bet that the caps had leaked and that wire was run to fix the fact that the trace to control the MPI relay was damaged.

There is usually a cleaner way to fix it, but that's cheap and dirty. I find that there is often more corrosion still going on and once you get to where the trace is open you'll find more problems or soon to be problems in the nearby traces. When they just slap the wire on like that they usually don't find/fix the other problems.

Last edited:
Solution
I have the same wire on my eprom . and i've also had problems with it. i'm currently looking for a new eprom so i can run link again.

I actually hooked up the new ECU my talon and the car runs amazingly. Way better than it ever did with that ECU. So looks like I'm going to have to find another ECU for the galant.

If you need your ECU refurbished, Steve is THE MAN. I would send him a PM about getting yours tested/patched up.

Very fair pricing and his working is VERY clean. My original ECU died, he fixed it up, now the car runs better than ever.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back