The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Spyder What is this sound?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM_delinquency

Proven Member
Feb 24, 2020
riorancho, New_Mexico
So my 2g spyder has had this sound for awhile and I cont pinpoint what it could be its coming from the right side of the engine bay but the car runs perfectly, just looking for some help or input as I try and track it down
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So my recommendation is to get a stethoscope. You know what doctors have to listen to your heart? They make them with a rod at the end. Cheap on Amazon. Place the rod at different places throughout the engine while its running listening for that sound or a frequency matching such. One of my tools I always have hanging around. Very useful in times like these.

If I could shoot from the hip I would say exhaust leak. You can notice by the words on the accessory belts that the frequency of the sound doesn't match the speed of the accessory belts. They are moving faster than the constant sound.
BUT, the timing belt is moving at the same frequency of the sound. Again, notice the words on the belt as they pass in relation to the sound. Exhaust comes in pulses as the valves open which is directly in relation to the timing belt.
But, it could easily be anything else moving at the pace of the timing belt. Idler pulleys or the water pump. Water pump usually leaks from the weep hole when it goes bad and in my experance the idler pulleys usually squeek.
All just my professional opinion.
Use a stethoscope to narrow down the area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey check your timing belt tension when cold. That sounds exactly like when my TB tensioner went and was allowing the belt to slap. It was super hard to tell with the cover on, but the belt got super slack after cooling down. If that’s it I’d do a whole timing job.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back