The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G What is this sensor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcman804

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 5, 2005
Cumberland, Virginia
Recently my timing belt broke.:banghead: I removed the head and of course 3 valves were bent. I got a new head and Im ready to replace everything but I noticed this sensor thats broken and I hav no clue what it does or what it is. Does anyone know what its for and can it be replaced?:confused:

Attachments

• sensor1.jpg
    sensor1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 371
  • sensor.jpg
    sensor.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 388
I'm pretty sure its the cps sensor. If I remember correctly the knock and cps clips are right next to each other. Without the cps sensor it will not start unless its wired for a 1g cas. If I had my car here I'd look for ya.

If you're using a stock 2G ECU the car will not fire the plugs without a signal from both the Cam Angle Sensor and the Crank Position Sensor. If you are using the stock cylinder head or a 1G head on your 97, the CAS should be on the trans side of the head. If you're using a 95-96 head it's under the intake cam sprocket. I think your car may have a 95-96 head and possibly a 95-96 ECU, because the plug you've circled looks like it's possibly the CAS plug for the 2Ga cars. I'm not sure because I've never owned a 2Ga yet. But I know it's not the CPS, that plug is the triangular shaped one next to it.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/151542263-post35.html

My head is from a 97 and it does have it on the passenger sde. After looking at the old sensor that was underneath the. Cam gear the connector looks as if it wa never connected because it was dirty inside. I'm thinking it is the triangular plug. Where does it lead to?

Do you have the cam sensor on the passenger side of the head plugged in? or do you not have one there?

Your car should have a cam sensor harness connector in the same grouping of wires as the injectors crank sensor etc. your connector for the cam sensor would come out of the harness before the injectors, so that is on the passenger side.

I'm trying to understand what you are saying, is what you are saying the original sensor that broke was never hooked up?

Anyways here's what I think is going on, I think you have everything connected right, so you never even needed that cam sensor you bought since you already have one on the passenger's side and it is hooked up. When you ran into the issue of your trigger plate hitting the tensioner pulley and your dad bent it up and out of the way, what probably happened is after that issue was resolved and the plate was slightly bent up the plate is now making contact on the top side of the crank sensor.
This contact it is making probably either broke the sensor itself or is causing it not to read correctly. My money is on it is broken because on one of my rebuilds the corner on my trigger plate was bent up a tiny bit and when i went to start the car it hit that crank sensor cracked it and broke it.

the other possible alternative is that since you have a 97 harness, like I said the cam sensor connector would be more toward the passenger side so the previous owner would have had to cut off the old 97-99 connector and replace it with the 95-96 connector. So look for a sensor connector coming out of the harness that has pretty long wires, it probably got jammed up under the throttle body area if that is the case.

From what I can see it is hooked up right. I'm gonna take thetiming belt cover off tomorrow before work to see if its ok but I wanna go ahead and get a new one because it may have gotten damaged when the timing belt broke.

Yeah the sensor that broke it looks as if it was never hooked up, I think it may be the crank sensor too. Is it hard to replace and where can I get it.

Not hard.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I'm gonna try to get around to it tomorrow. Thanks for all the help guys, I probably would have set fire to this car if it wasn't for this site. I love this car but this timing belt job has been a real PITA!

the sensor that the arrow is pointing to is the crank angle tdc sensor. you said your dad bent the plate that was hitting the pulley? he may have bent it too much and it could have hit the sensor ruining it. you do have to have the crank sensor and the cam sensors both plugged in though. the wire for it should be on the same set of wires that go to the coil and power transistor. like dunsunIII said you should scrap those 2 sensors and get a black top sensor CAS that bolts to the side of the head where the coolant fills. you would need a different valve cover though, i think.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back