The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G what is this sensor? please help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashirkey

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 2, 2009
Ft wayne, Indiana
ok this sensor have a vacuum line going from the intake manifold to this sensor then from the sensor to the stock fuel pressure regulator. does anyone know what this is i want to know if i can get rid of it and what it will do because my car is sputtering at about 3-5k rpm's and i think the regulator might be the reason any help on eather question would be much appreciated

That sensor you're talking about is the Fuel Pressure Solenoid. Does your car have any other symptoms besides the sputtering from 3-5k?

um not really like what other symptoms are you talking about and im not sure it feels like the boost doesn't do as much as before and i dont have any boost leaks im not sure if its s sputter but it like feels like the cars just slowing down kinda of like i feel like im being pushed forword when i take off and sometimes between gears it has a fuel cut like it sputters and pops

im not sure how to add a photo to this thread so the picture of the sensor is on my profile in my pictures

Yeah that is your Fuel Pressure Solenoid. From what I've read on the forums some people have skipped it by running the Vaccum line from the intake manifold directly to the Fuel Pressure Regulator. However I'm not sure if that's your problem. Double check everything and make sure all the sesnors are hooked up, vaccum lines are connected, look at all the obvious possibilities first. Remember KISS!(Keep it simple stupid) Then progress from there.

What are the conditions that it happens under? And by symptoms I mean; is it jerking, boost gauge fluctuating, anything of that sort.

max

um it jerks a little when im just crusin at a low rpm but like when i accelerate it is kinda like its lagging but it only does it between 3-4500 but the boost is constant and everything but it does it in all gears and im not sure what it is

That sensor you're talking about is the Fuel Pressure Solenoid.
Ah, yes. Forgot that one.

Yeah that is your Fuel Pressure Solenoid. From what I've read on the forums some people have skipped it by running the Vaccum line from the intake manifold directly to the Fuel Pressure Regulator. However I'm not sure if that's your problem. Double check everything and make sure all the sesnors are hooked up, vaccum lines are connected, look at all the obvious possibilities first. Remember KISS!(Keep it simple stupid) Then progress from there.

What are the conditions that it happens under? And by symptoms I mean; is it jerking, boost gauge fluctuating, anything of that sort.

max

Very good advice. +rep.
Yes, you can eliminate the vac lines to that solenoid altogether, just don't unplug the wiring connector from it or you'll get a CEL. It's only function is to modify fuel pressure during starting when the engine is already warm, which is also why I'm pretty sure it's not the problem.

Can you take some pictures for us of your engine bay? What is the last thing that you worked on in the engine? Have you conducted a Boost Leak Test? Check the condition of the Vaccum lines; are they dryrotted?

what would the reasoning be on why the car is acting like this then?

I vote boost leak. When you say there is no boost leak did you do a proper boost leak test? The boost will stay constant even with a decent sized boost leak, the turbo just works extra hard to maintain the same boost level. You can't use that example to rule out a boost leak and you could be damaging your turbo.

Your fine to eliminate the fuel pressure solenoid but if it's functioning correctly there really isn't any benefit in removing it. If it gets harder to start the car after it's warm then I would hook it back up.

yea ill take pictures of my engine bay soon but the reason i dont think it is a boost leak is i just redid all of my piping last week and made sure nothing was leaking and also my bov is not vented into the atomsphere

i am also running very rich like my friend who was behind me when i took of he said there was like a lot of smoke comming out of my exhaust and it was doing it thought the whole rpm range but it only smokes when im on it when im crusin its fine with no smoke

Have you changed the spark plugs? What color are the tips? PCV valve? You could be getting pressure in your crankcase when you boost and if your PCV valve is stuck you could be squeezing oil past your valve seals. If it has done it enough your plugs may be gunked up and not burning good plus the oil they are burning makes it worse. Something easy to check that will help with the process of elimination.

i just redid all of my piping last week

Did you start having these issues around the same time?

a lot of smoke comming out of my exhaust and it was doing it thought the whole rpm range but it only smokes when im on it when im crusin its fine with no smoke.

That, to me, sounds exactly like what happens when you have a boost leak. You say you don't have a leak, but you still didn't say what method you used to check. Did you hook up a boost leak tester and pressurize the entire intake tract?

Check, double check, and triple check with that Boost leak TESTER! It's a whole lot easier to tighten up a clamp then spend a few hours testing and tweaking.

If the boost leak test reveals there are no leaks then I am gonna lean towards your MAF begining to go out. Although I believe we have to little information to actually pin point it exactly. Keep us posted and let us know!

thanks everyone it was a boost leak it was one of the cuplers that had a tear in it i got it fixed i used a boost tester and no boost leaks now i was on my way home from school and a kid behind me said when i drop it down it sends out some black smoke is that normal or just some extra fuel or what?

i am also running very rich like my friend who was behind me when i took of he said there was like a lot of smoke comming out of my exhaust and it was doing it thought the whole rpm range but it only smokes when im on it when im crusin its fine with no smoke

What color was the smoke? was it black or blue?

If the smoke is a black color when you get on it, you are running really rich as you said and I would agree that you need to do a boost leak test.
If the smoke is bluish in color, that means you are burning oil. I would recommend checking for shaft play in the turbo.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back