The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G What is this hose?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Rider

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 12, 2009
NW, Connecticut
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It comes off the air intake, and was unconnected to anything. It's been that way for a long time judging by the dust and lack of clamp marks on the end. The car drove fine with it like this. It makes no sense to suck unfiltered air through a 1/2 inch (S'cuse me, 12mm) hose. But so far I see no obvious place it should go.

And is the blue tape component an OEM blow off valve of some sort?

I'm on my way to removing the head - bent valves, broken timing belt. The good news is the balance shaft belt wasn't the culprit. Hopefully the pistons are ok.

As you can see there are two ports on the MAF pipe. One is for the fresh air to the PVC system (running to the nipple on the rocker cover) and the other is for the Evap Canister Purge.

The blue tape is on the original plastic cover for the 1G BOV (Air Bypass Valve). You can see the pressure source nipple and below it the outlet of the BOV and the upper IC pipe below it.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If the previous owner deleted the purge valve (under battery tray on a 2g) then you need to plug that hose. Otherwise you'll get both unfiltered and un-metered air into the engine.
Best way to go about that is to completely remove the hose and find the proper sized vacuum cap to put on the port. Cleaner, simpler, and less likely to leak air.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back