The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

What is this car worth / Is this car a good deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilsfutbol17

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Bellingham, Washington
I found a 1996 Spyder GST for $4900. It is a 5-speed, 91,000 miles on it, white with black top, 17 inch rims. There is 80% tread left on the tires but the guy has a brand new never used set of tires for the car that is included in the price. He says the top doesn't leak, but it had a rip and was repaired, but he didn't like it, so he bought a brand new oem top that isn't installed and is included with the car. He says the interior is really nice, everything inside works, but you have to help the top up a little bit. He doesn't know if the timing belt has been replaced or not. It has a 3 inch cat back exhaust, 16G turbo, apexi intake and a greddy bov. He says it runs great and has no issues. He says he just wants to get rid of it because he doesn't drive it and its taking up space in his garage, which sounds good to me because he kept it garaged at least. he also said that the paint is good on it, no clear coat coming off, no body damage or dents. I'm going to check for crankwalk be looking at the clutch pedal when I turn left. I have been talking to the guy over the phone and I'm suppose to go drive for 4 hours to go and buy it if it checks out on Thursday. Does it sound good? Should I ask him or check for other things on it?
full_car.jpg
engine.jpg
partial_engine.jpg

Hey guys,

First post here on the forums! Hiya! So, I've done some research and I understand how a turbo works and I understand what most (not all) terms mean now-- but I'm still a little lacking in horse power / speed gains from certain parts so I was hoping to get a better picture.

First off, I'm going to take a look at a Magenta Grey Pearl 1998 Syder GS-T tomorrow. It's been adult owned and looks pretty great all around, interior and exterior are a 9/10. I've scoured CL for a while now. I would get a GSX, but they are just too hard to find, and they are a bit over my budget. I'm looking to stay under $5k. To the car itself, it has 145,000 miles on it.. kind of makes me cringe but.. oh well. He has done the following upgrades:

14b Turbo from a 1st Gen.
K&N FIPK with Injen Intake Tube
3" Mandrel bent SS Catback
Dual stage MBC (switch in-cabin from low to high, both sides on lowest setting since install, no fuel support to increase past stock yet)
Autometer boost / water temp / oil pressure gauges. Autometer water temp gauge lags but gets accurate after a bit of driving (???). Stock water temp gauge still works fine though.
Koni Yellows and Prothane Bushing kit on all 4 corners with stock springs
Brand new OEM Mitsubish front lower control arms, lateral control arms, knuckle, upper control arm, sway bar endlinks.

Like I said, it's a 98' Spyder GS-T, 145k Miles, he's asking $4000, and I believe he's pretty firm on that price. How do you guys feel about the purchase?

Here are the photo's he sent me of the car (pretty high quality and really nice):
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=9d549...DvTsKoeWPfxkBE

Also, what should I be looking to maintain (it will be my DD) / upgrade first if the purchase goes through? What am I looking at with the previous upgrades already? I'm not a kid who wants to race every car that passes by, my main priority is making sure that I have a car that won't break down on me and won't cost me a ton in repairs, but can also be fairly quick, haha. Anyway, thanks in advance for any insight.

I'm sure there is a GSX out there that can be bought under 5k. I bought my spyder bone stock with around a 100k on the clock, but it was well maintained by an old couple.

Also, this forum does not allow question regarding horsepower estimations, so that's something to avoid :thumb:

I can view the picture right now but if you get it the best thing for a Dsm is maintenance. Just keep up on it and you should be good.

DSM 4G63 Maintenance Guide - DSMtuners

EDIT: 145k and he wants 4K. Personally I would pass unless you knew the motor was in good shape

Just a heads up, that car is 3.4 hours away as is. I have been looking wide and hard for one.

The biggest problem around here is that there are three kind of sellers:

The really good. Seen 2 in the last couple months going for $15,000 or more. yes, that was a 15....

The ugly: Like this one and others that get the kids that go "OHH LOOK GSX" and sell it like it is coveted gold.

The stupid... I have seen many stock GSX/GST/and TSI's that have over 160k miles on them. One up in Belleview had over 210k miles and was still asking for $4800.

Maybe someone can explain to me a bit more about why this is not a good deal. I am not being hard headed and do not plan to buy this one. I am just wanting to know why the fear. I have bought and restored a 74 Nova that originally had a Salvo tittle. Is it something to do with DSM's?

And to the guy who said he was friends with West Coast DSM: the rebuild that he made did not cause the fire. He was the one that rebuilt the engine and transmission out of the car that caught fire. It has 0 miles on both due to not fully restored after the fire.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate all your help.

Travis Walthall

The sad part is that is what Spyders are going for. I sold my Talon a week ago and if I come back to the Dsm scene a spyder is what I'll be after.

If its clean and has no mechanical issues, i'd offer him 3500$ and that's the most I would pay. Spyders are starting to be far and few between and the number of well cared for ones is less then that. Hope this helps.

Yeah, thanks guys. I'm going to wait on it until I can find a GSX, or a hardtop. Appreciate the replies! :thumb:

sounds pretty good to me :thumb:... do a compression test and if it passes then go for it (considering your visuals and driving impression of the car are good)

+1 for the compression test...I was about to get a GSX and i had my guy look at it since it seemed too good to be true. I mean it was all stock and it looked like it was in mint condition...lets just say the car was crap. good luck

After looking forever on craigslist for a decent stock gsx, one finally came up that looks great and is stock(even has airbox) BUT, he's firm on 5k and there's 150k on the clock. In the ad it says the belts were replaced along with clutch and water pump, even though I'd eventually replace the clutch with a stronger one down the road. I don't really care about the miles on the engine because I plan on building the engine eventually to reach 450hp but I dont think 5k is right. The main thing is that I dont want to spend a ton of money on it because I'm planning on a big build which will cost a lot. What do you think?

Here's a pic. http://images.craigslist.org/3Ge3Jb3N45I95E25H7d1ra230c23c1a08157f.jpg

I payed $3,000 for my bone stock unabused 95 talon tsi fwd with only 80,000 miles a few years ago. So really never pay more then $3,000 for any dsm even if it has like 350hp. Even nice built one with like 500hp you can only really sell for like $5,000ish. Lucky to the person that sells there car for more then that. I also don't believe anything anyone says about maintenance unless they got receipts. What year is the car? How about full link to the criagslist post.

I payed $3,000 for my bone stock unabused 95 talon tsi fwd with only 80,000 miles a few years ago. So really never pay more then $3,000 for any dsm even if it has like 350hp. Even nice built one with like 500hp you can only really sell for like $5,000ish. Lucky to the person that sells there car for more then that. I also don't believe anything anyone says about maintenance unless they got receipts.

Well if thats the case how do you talk someone down from 5k to 3k? haha

You could always get more info on it man, I paid 3k for my 1g but the exterior/interior is in emmaculate condition.

Im also the 3rd owner, and have every single receipt from 1994 LOL

What year is it and is it a true 2GB or 2GA converted to a 2GB?

If it was me no question I would buy it for $5000. Why? Because the exterior looks very clean. I'll pay for an engine build any day over having to repair a car with body damage. But that's just me. I would imagine there is room to negotiate so you may get a better price but seeing you have been looking forever for a decent stock one I don't see why you wouldn't buy it. This is the price of "decency" today.

I would say here's my cash offer of 3k (or whatever) I'm firm on that and if you decide to take it great and if you don't call me when you do. Thats about the best you can do if someone is being stubborn with a price. You could also quote details like kbb price, dented fender, pink condom under the rear seat with ooze in it..etc.... Maybe that will help.

What year is it and is it a true 2GB or 2GA converted to a 2GB?

If it was me no question I would buy it for $5000. Why? Because the exterior looks very clean. I'll pay for an engine build any day over having to repair a car with body damage. But that's just me. I would imagine there is room to negotiate so you may get a better price but seeing you have been looking forever for a decent stock one I don't see why you wouldn't buy it. This is the price of "decency" today.

Its a true 2GB,98. Only mods are HKS BOV and full 3" HKS exhaust. In my mind I'd like to give him somewhere closer to 4, but he seemed pretty firm on 5k, maybe we can meet in the middle cause the thing looks so clean. But I'll probably just give him my offer of 4k and wait it out and have him get back to me.

Well if thats the case how do you talk someone down from 5k to 3k? haha

You tell him what you been researching and it seems to high of a price just listen to alot peoples stories from here. Don't be frighten if it means saving you $2000 hell ya go for it. I would come talk to him if I could. But there always will be dsm's around as nice as that one looks don't just jump on it. I have done that and regreted it but. try to get it lower on price and sit on it until he gives or you maybe find something else. If need help looking for cars we are always here to help.

I paid 2k for my FWD 2g with 115k miles on it. I'm the 3rd owner but they had every receipt and the car was bone stock so it was worth it.

I'd see if hes willing to let you get it checked out. I found a GSX that looked like it was in great condition and they wanted 4k for it. I almost paid for it but then I decided to get a check from my mechanic and there were TONs of problems...

I sold my rusted out stock 98 for 4500. 160k miles.

paid 4k for a 99 with no motor. 2 months later my buddy paid 2k for a 99 with a spun rod and a new $1600 turbo setup.

it's a wildcard.

Have you tried searchtempest.com?

It really varies by area tho doesn't it? Dsm's here in vegas usually run 3.5k+ even for a shitty one. Cheapest I found was 2500 for a car with a shot transmission and oxidized door panels. I think 3.5-4k would be reasonable but don't quote me on that. Just BS some issues with the car. Hell I found a cigarrette bud on mine so I called him out on being a smoker and he dropped 200.

I sold my rusted out stock 98 for 4500. 160k miles.

paid 4k for a 99 with no motor. 2 months later my buddy paid 2k for a 99 with a spun rod and a new $1600 turbo setup.

it's a wildcard.

Have you tried searchtempest.com?

I live on searchtempest haha. Ive literally been on everyday for the past month checking within a 400 mile radius, and this is one of the few that has met my criteria. That's why I'm so hooked up on it haha.

Its a true 2GB,98. Only mods are HKS BOV and full 3" HKS exhaust. In my mind I'd like to give him somewhere closer to 4, but he seemed pretty firm on 5k, maybe we can meet in the middle cause the thing looks so clean. But I'll probably just give him my offer of 4k and wait it out and have him get back to me.

$4000 is a good price. If you have the patience to wait it out then definitely do that. The owner would be crazy to turn down $4,000.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back