The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

What is this car worth / Is this car a good deal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devilsfutbol17

15+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2007
Bellingham, Washington
I found a 1996 Spyder GST for $4900. It is a 5-speed, 91,000 miles on it, white with black top, 17 inch rims. There is 80% tread left on the tires but the guy has a brand new never used set of tires for the car that is included in the price. He says the top doesn't leak, but it had a rip and was repaired, but he didn't like it, so he bought a brand new oem top that isn't installed and is included with the car. He says the interior is really nice, everything inside works, but you have to help the top up a little bit. He doesn't know if the timing belt has been replaced or not. It has a 3 inch cat back exhaust, 16G turbo, apexi intake and a greddy bov. He says it runs great and has no issues. He says he just wants to get rid of it because he doesn't drive it and its taking up space in his garage, which sounds good to me because he kept it garaged at least. he also said that the paint is good on it, no clear coat coming off, no body damage or dents. I'm going to check for crankwalk be looking at the clutch pedal when I turn left. I have been talking to the guy over the phone and I'm suppose to go drive for 4 hours to go and buy it if it checks out on Thursday. Does it sound good? Should I ask him or check for other things on it?
full_car.jpg
engine.jpg
partial_engine.jpg

Running 560s on a 20g at 23 psi don't sound right to me. Stock 450's are maxed out at about 16 psi on a 14b, a 20g is a pretty big step up and is going to push quite a big more airflow. An additional 110cc's really isn't going to help much with a bigger turbo. Is he using a datalogger to tune for knock with or what? Water pump is probably leaking through the weep hole because it's most likely an autoparts store waterpump, he probably used an autoparts store timing belt with it too.

Mod list isn't bad, but personally I wouldn't touch the car for that price. If it was about half that then it would be worth it MAYBE. No matter what, it's still a 17 year old car and obviously still have a bunch of problems. What does the body even look like?

Pass. Obviously the cars been beat on and you have no idea if it's actually what he says it is.

General rule of thumb: Don't buy someone else's project.

here are a few new pics

Attachments

• mani.jpg
    mani.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 65
  • mot.jpg
    mot.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 59
  • car.jpg
    car.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 57
Hello everybody,
I'm the owner of this 93 GSX. I talked to this guy on the phone for almost an hour and explained to him in almost every detail on what I know about the car. Information he didn't put on here was that the motor was built in 2006 before I owned the car, that was when the water pump was replaced and yes after four years it can fail. I told him I am willing to sell it to him for $3000 as is if I don't fix the water pump, and if I do fix it I will sell it for more. So yes I am fully capable of doing the repair. The car has a clean title, the body is straight but like I told this guy was that the paint was fading on the driver side. I'm not trying to advertise and make money off of this car and I don't want him to lose out on that amount of money. He's a four hour drive away and so I tried my best to explain to him exactly what the car is. Also I do agree, the 550cc injectors are way to small, they are open most likely close to 100% of the time and I told him it would be smart to upgrade to 750cc or 850cc and have it re-tuned since it's been four years since the original tune. Thanks Everybody.

Sold the Eclipse for 3300. The guy was happy. Tore it apart, it was the water pump and a coolant line. The coolant shorted a few things out, but I do believe he can take better care for the car than me.

Sold the Eclipse for 3300. The guy was happy. Tore it apart, it was the water pump and a coolant line. The coolant shorted a few things out, but I do believe he can take better care for the car than me.

sadly, no one here cares and we all feel bad for the new owner.

doesnt look to bad.. i seen it yesterday on my local craigslist. he's about an hour from me. his asking price on craigs is $5,500 obo, so i doubt it will go up to 7k! just food for thought. id offer $4800 cash if i was looking to get it.

There is a reason people sell cars. Beware of that. To me it looks like it needs a few things like the bumper emblem, the eclipse tail light, the radio, fog light cover, canard or whatever its called, and the spark plug cover. I can't tell if the vacuum lines are hooked up to the intake either. And the radar detector? You only need one of those if you like to speed. Might check the tire tread as well. I'd hate to spend 5k on it, drive all that way, have to fix all those things, do the maintenance, and then replace the tires. But that is just me. IMO I wouldn't go.

5 grand for a bone stock...turbo 2g? nope...sry overpriced....look at the rotors...warped as fuuuuukkkkkk

the paint is the only good thing on that car

This is the type of crap that is posted on this site. You have no clue what you are talking about. $4,500.00 to $5,000.00 is the going price for a stock 2GB AWD. In fact a stock car can pull more money than a modified car, which is why you see so many people returning their car to stock.

No one can tell if a rotor is warped from a picture, and most can't do it by eye up close, that's why they make a meter to check for rotors being warped. Please stop posting this useless crap.

:rolleyes:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back