The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

What is this called / Where does this go / What does this do? [MERGED]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forcefed594

Probationary Member
Aug 8, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
This is probably a dumb question, but what is the part called that holds the front suspension in place and bolts up to the knuckle in a 1g? Does anyone know where i can find this part? :hmm:

Here's the repair manual pages for the 95-96 & 97-99 cylinder heads. Has the production p/n as well.

EDIT: Mitsubishi used a combo cam & crank angle sensor on the 1G's on the back end of the intake cam. When they changed things for the 2G's they switch to separate cam & crank sensor. The 2 separate sensors are better in theory for with motor mechanical timing because it decreases the changes caused from the T-belt stretching & deflection. On the 95-96 the cam sensor is mount behind the intake cam gear on the T-belt side of the motor. In 97 & newer the switched the cam sensor over to the passenger side end opposite the cam gear similar to the 1G. Also on the 95-96 years they flipped the ignition coils around from the 1G type setup but flipped things back on the 97-99's & is why some folks have to adjust the plug wire order when mixing and matching ECU's & what not.

Attachments

• 1995-1996 Cylinder Head.pdf
    86.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 1997-1999 Cylinder Head.pdf
    108 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Anybody know what this heat shield is for? Or these do dads I found? I think they are for camber adjustment but not sure how they are used
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Hi, I'm fairly new to the DSM Community and I'm rebuilding a 98 GST that got in an accident. I'm trying to figure out what this piece here is. It is on the drivers side near where the headlight goes. Any help or questions are appreciated. Thanks!

I believe that is the sensor/switch for the hood. I looked at mine, and since there isn’t an under hood light, it must be for an indicator on the dash I would suspect. I’ve never driven without my hood latched all the way, so I’m not 100% positive about that. But it mounts on the core support above the light

Attachments

• C8F13886-9A15-470D-B138-0A89B9D1BC58.jpeg
    C8F13886-9A15-470D-B138-0A89B9D1BC58.jpeg
    890.8 KB · Views: 77
That's the switch for the anti-theft alarm. If the alarm is armed (doors/hood locked) and the hood is somehow opened, it would trigger the alarm. I personally disconnected that switch and removed it since I was having my alarm triggering for no reason on hot sunny days but I think that was a different issue. Leave yours if nothing's wrong.

That's the switch for the anti-theft alarm. If the alarm is armed (doors/hood locked) and the hood is somehow opened, it would trigger the alarm. I personally disconnected that switch and removed it since I was having my alarm triggering for no reason on hot sunny days but I think that was a different issue. Leave yours if nothing's wrong.

Thanks so much! I didn't receive a key fob when I bought the car so I don't think I will run into any problems with the alarm.

Thanks so much! I didn't receive a key fob when I bought the car so I don't think I will run into any problems with the alarm.

Anti-theft system is armed and disarmed by locking and unlocking the doors, not just on the keyfob. You'll see a green security light on the dash when you lock the doors.

Somebody switched it. Read the thread. All 1g cars have only that sensor on the intake cam. 95 96 have the cam sensor behind the intake cam along with a crank sensor. 97 up switch back to an intake cam sensor of a different type and keep the crank sensor.

When I bought this car almost 3 years ago it had some left over parts taken off by the previous owner. I have completely refreshed this entire engine and nearly every sensor that it uses. I am confused about a particular part in the left over bin that was in the hatch. If anyone knows what this guy is and what it's function is I would greatly appreciate it.

Jeff, have you tried applying 12 volts to the pins just for kicks and giggles????ROFL

Lol thanks Marty I just did and it pumps air out the narrow opening there on the bottom. Very bizarre looking device im very confused to what it could possibly be for. The car runs like a track star on steroids so im sure it cant be that vital just thought I'd maybe get it identified maybe someone on here needs one of these for something.:idontknow:

I thought it looked like a "pump' and it didn't dawn on me about a vacuum pump. Thanks Tim.
Jeff, I could use it on MY car...……. ROFL

Looks like a brake booster (or vacuum) pump from some other vehicle.

Is this on an automatic?
It's just the basic rebuilt fwd. 5spd paired with an LSD.

I thought it looked like a "pump' and it didn't dawn on me about a vacuum pump. Thanks Tim.
Jeff, I could use it on MY car...……. ROFL
Lol what kind of weird sience stuff was the original owner doing? I wish i would have taken pictures of all the stuff i corrected sorting this car out when i got it. Thanks for the input, i wasn't sure what kind of answers were going to pop up. Its definitely in a bit of sad shape but i think it works the way it should....maybe. Lol

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back