The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

What is this called / Where does this go / What does this do? [MERGED]

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forcefed594

Probationary Member
Aug 8, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
This is probably a dumb question, but what is the part called that holds the front suspension in place and bolts up to the knuckle in a 1g? Does anyone know where i can find this part? :hmm:

You can wire it to work. Transversely, I am running a 97 engine/cas set up in my 95 shell and I had to do the opposite of what you need to do right now, but no, the car will NOT run without that plugged in.

So does he need a 97 CAS?

My car was wired for a 95-96 cas, and I'm using the 97 cas that came with my engine, so you should be able to wire it to work either way, but obviously, the 97 cas is way easier to use.
Just an fyi, the cams are threaded in the 1997 engine for the 1997 cas, I don't believe the 1995-1996 cams are, so if you swap cas's you will need to change cams as well.

On the drivers side of the head, there are 2 plugs. Both plugs on the harness are triangular. On the motor, one is triangular, one is square. So, I went to my 95 harness and took off the square connector and wired it to the triangular connector with the same wires. And plugged them in. The plug I posted a pic of is on the passenger side of the head.

This is the 1997 cas and the crank sensor. You might be looking at the crank sensor plug and compressor plug. Both are on the driver side. And the crank sensor would also cause a no start.

Attachments

• cas.jpg
    cas.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 758
  • CRANKSENSOR.jpg
    CRANKSENSOR.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 130
Stay with me here, this might get confusing...

If you're having a no-start issue, the crank position sensor and A/C compressor both have the same triangle shaped connector and are on the same side of the block. Make sure you're not mixing them up...

Here's an explanation of the different cam angle sensors.

The '95-'96 CAS (cam angle sensor) bolts to the head behind the intake cam gear (on the driver side) and uses a square plug, here's a few pictures so you know what it looks like...
'95-'96 CAS
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

The '97-'99 bolts to the head on the passenger side of the head. The connector you took a photo of is for a '97-'99 CAS but, if you want to run one, you'll need a few more pieces to get it to work properly.

Basically the '97-'99 cam angle sensor itself, which looks like this...

...as well as the housing, trigger plate (not sure if that's the actual technical term), bolt to bolt it to the intake came, and a cam that's threaded for that bolt.

This is what a 2g with a '97-'99 CAS would look like, you can see on that back of that sensor is the connector you took a photo of.

This is what a 2g with a '95-'96 CAS would look like on the same side of the motor, ignore the text in the picture.

Hopefully I didn't confuse you too much. The intake cam gear's are also different on the '95-'96 2g, here are photos comparing the 2ga (95-96) and 2gb (97-99) cam gears too.

'95-'96 cam gears
'97-'99 cam gears

Clarifying or confusing, but I do have the luxury of sitting at a computer... LOL

KCD, as far as your no start problem goes it could be one thing or several because once you start swapping connectors, ECU's, etc. from the different model years you've got to be very meticulous because one small thing will cause a headache.

Before I dig too deep though, if you installed a '95 engine and have a '95 engine harness to cut plugs off of why are you even having this conversation? Why wouldn't you just have installed the '95 engine harness into the car with the '95 engine?

This is something I caught that might be causing your problem...
The cas I'm using is a rectangle. So I took it off of my 95 harness and wired it onto the 97 harness in place of the 2nd triangular one.
If the CAS installed on the head was on the driver side and had a rectangle connector it's definitely a 2ga CAS, you can verify this by popping off the upper cam gear cover and looking for it under the intake cam gear (see post above for photos).
The problem however is, you said you took this connector off of the '95 harness you have and wired it into the '97 harness in place of the 2nd triangular connector... THIS IS INCORRECT ...

If you're wiring a '95 CAS connector onto the '97 harness then you should have wired it into place of the connector you posted a photo of in your very first post. If you wired the rectangle (2ga CAS connector) in place of a triangle plug then you either wired it into the A/C compressor wiring or the CPS (crank position sensor) wiring.

The '95 CAS plug should have been wired in place of this connector, which is the '97 CAS plug.

Nice explanation Corey! I will reference this when I dig into my 98 Talon.

I'm still a little confused. I just need to know how to get my car running haha (fingers crossed). So the connector I posted a pic of... What am I supposed to do with it since I have my 95 engine in there?

Where EXACTLY did you install that square CAS connector in place of the triangle plug? What color are the wires going to it?

Answer that and I can help get it back to where it needs to be...

Where EXACTLY did you install that square CAS connector in place of the triangle plug? What color are the wires going to it?

Answer that and I can help get it back to where it needs to be...

I will be home in a few minutes and I'll upload some pics. I really appreciate the help guys.

If you cut the triangle plug off of those wires and spliced on that connector then you cut the crank position sensor plug. So now, your car isn't getting a CPS signal OR a CAS signal so it's definitely not going to start.

You need to solder/heatshrink that CPS (triangle) connector back on there and take that plug that you posted a picture of in you first post and cut it off, then solder the 2ga (rectangle) connector in place of it.

Remember the wires on the '97-'99 CAS connector go to the passenger side of the motor so you'll have to extend those wires to reach the 95-96 CAS.

The car's not even cranking?! You needed to fix the CAS issue but that wasn't even coming into play with the car never even turned over... Glad it's out of the way though.

The harness from '97-99 shell you're using, is it originally from an automatic and you're trying to install it on 5 speed? The A/T's have a neutral safety switch connector on the harness that needs jumped or else it won't turn over...

This is how you jump it (to see if that's why it's not starting) if it's a A/T engine harness.

If it a 5-speed harness and you're installing it on a 5-speed then unplug the clutch safety switch and see if it cranks. Its a switch on the bottom of the clutch pedal assembly, make sure it's unplugged.

^^^ The above is assuming that the starter is working properly and the battery is fully charged too, since those should be the obvious two reasons why a car won't crank ^^^

can anyone till me what this is? so i can replace it/ fix it when the car is running i hear hissing from the back wheel im guessing its part of the exhaust system but i can not find any where on what it is or a replacement part the location is right behind the trunk area

Attachments

• 20150531_141321[1].jpg
    20150531_141321[1].jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 207
What car is this for? You've put 1G in the title and have a 2G in your avatar. Please be specific with that and this part's location and we'll be more than happy to help.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back