The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

What is the shifter weight for???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H@xtGSX

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 9, 2011
Carlsbad, New_Mexico
I am just curious as why this:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

is necessary, for ANY reason...
I just cut mine off to make room for some larger piping, and honestly, I wish I had cut that thing off the day I bought the car. The shifts feel so much more fluid and easy WITHOUT that weight. I can feel what the synchros and gears are doing... what purpose does this lump of non-perfomance crap serve?? Personally, for as nice as my shifter feels now, I'm actually thinking that cutting it off is an UPGRADE.:thumb:

Dunno, I hacked mine off to make room for my 'custom' lower radiator hose. (6 bolt in a 2G)

Lol i was actually talking about this at the car meet today..... no idea what its for

It's the single biggest useless peice of shit I've found on my car yet... This should go in the Stage 1 mods as a freebie... It shifts so much better with out it.
This piece of crap ranks right along side of the silencer box they put on the 2g intake. Both require immediate removal before they infect the rest of the car with their suckiness.

1g transmissions don't have that. That's why I had to make my own. I thought it helped a little. It follows the same logic as those weighted shifter knobs everyone likes so much.

Excuse me for being daft, but what exactly.is that logic. The extra weight makes the shifts feel sluggish and sloppy to me... I can't see how adding weight to any part of the shifter would help anything.

Excuse me for being daft, but what exactly.is that logic. The extra weight makes the shifts feel sluggish and sloppy to me... I can't see how adding weight to any part of the shifter would help anything.

I have no idea what the part in your first post is so I can't comment on what it does or what the hell it is (I'm wondering myself now) but weighted shift knobs add inertia to your side of the lever, making shifts (minutely) easier. Mechanically speaking, of course. Whether you actually notice a difference is a whole separate discussion (argument LOL).

Well, for the guys obsessed with cutting down the weight of their car, that thing is about 1 lb of steel that isn't needed. Grab your sawzall and chop it off.

I made mine because my second gear syncro was worn to hell, and it was hurting my 1/4 mile time. I'm not that weak, and I never hurt my hand trying to shift my car.

Now that I replaced my syncro, and switched to a twin disk, I probably don't really need it. Honestly it wasn't much of a cure for a worn out syncro anyway.

I cut mine off on both my cars and i couldn't tell the difference before or after. :thumb:

It makes the shift action feel smoother, less mechanical. I've one in my DD Scion xB, but I found that adding a good viscosity tranny oil has a similar effect on shift feel -- less mechanical, more positive.

Cutting that off is a must for anyone with a 6bolt in their 2g. That weight will cause the trans to jump out of second gear consistently. :notgood:

I've always been told and read that it's to make the shift feel more solid like you're actually moving something with some mass as well as heling to finish the shift through the detents as mentioned above.. But mostly i've heard that it's for feel, so that the shifter feels like its moving something solid , more of a metnal thing for the driver i guess. I've always cut mine off to clear larger IC pipes, But instead of cutting them like the pic above i cut on both sides of the roll pin and then remove the entire assembly and then remove what's left of the roll pin (it's one pin in the trans i've NEVER been able to get out with a punch and hammer.. the only othe pin like it is on the same shaft inside the trans holding some of the parts for the gating system in place, they are a bi*** to remove i'd lie to know the trick to taking them off without using a grinder/sawz-all

Looking at it Glenn, I don't think I'd even bother with a punch. I'd grind it off and just make a new pin... If you wanted to make it look clean. This one just needed to go because of my 3" intake piping and I had been welding it up all day, so patients was not a virtue I exhibited. I just grabbed my Sawzall and chopped it off.

Cutting that off is a must for anyone with a 6bolt in their 2g. That weight will cause the trans to jump out of second gear consistently. :notgood:

Is that for a 6-bolt with a 2g trans? My GST from last year had a 6-bolt block/7-bolt head combo with 2g trans. It never popped out of gear, but it always grinded into 2nd gear. I always assumed the sycro was going out. Similar problem?

It doesn't need to be removed to run a 6-bolt engine, just when you run a 1g head.

It doesn't need to be removed to run a 6-bolt engine, just when you run a 1g head.

False, 1g head, 6 bolt motor, still got the stupid weight.
:confused:

It doesn't hit your lower radiator hose?

No, but one of the shifter linkages does (right at the bushing) and even then, i have braided SS radiator hoses from GReddy

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back