The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

what is "normal" oil pressure?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I let the car cool off,started it up and it actually goes to about 50ish psi at about 1100 rpms cold if I give it just enough gas to get to about 1300-1400 rpms it goes up to about 70-75psi in the oil pressure. my idle tends to be a little low on my cold starts because of this damn q45 throttle body. I’ve been tinkering with it to try to get it to work but all in all I think maybe the pump is ok so far anyway. I just got the car so I’m not ruling it out
If this happens randomly, first I would check if the pressure relief valve's plunger slides smoothly in the OFH or not. I don't know how you are monitoring the oil pressure but I would check the oil pressure sensor/gauge/wiring, too.
If the oil pump itself is the cause of the low oil pressure, that's rare, but if so, you would probably see aluminum flakes in oil already.

If this happens randomly, first I would check if the pressure relief valve's plunger slides smoothly in the OFH or not. I don't know how you are monitoring the oil pressure but I would check the oil pressure sensor/gauge/wiring, too.
If the oil pump itself is the cause of the low oil pressure, that's rare, but if so, you would probably see aluminum flakes in oil already.
It’s being monitored by a auto meter gauge

As we speak it’s all warmed up and idling at 1000 rpms and it’s just a hair under 25psi pretty much right under the line that marks 25psi I guess I could do a oil change and see if it has any metal in it how should I sift the oil to see any small metal shavings?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
I’m not 100% how to post pics on here but ima give this a try

The Allen key bolt or screw what ever you would call that maybe plug what’s it for it’s the only thing leaking any kind of oil on that side of my motor I gave it a few turns and it just kept going deeper and deeper never really getting tight can I put Some Teflon tape on it to help seal it

My oil pressure is about 25 on cold starts....I
If this is true and if it happened even once, I wouldn't drive the car until the cause is figured out. And that tiny leak in the pic above wouldn't cause low oil pressure. And you can use some sealant to stop the leak.

I just drained the oil from the oil pan in a clean bucket after letting it sit I don’t see nothing major but I can see what seems like a metallic layer in it if I use a really bright flashlight

I noticed in the pic you can see what looks like some bigger specs but that’s just shit that got in it from being out side before I got to take it in the garage

next edit I’m sorry if this may be getting a bit off topic from engine oil pressure, but when I run my magnet threw the oil you can clearly see traces of metallic ness flowing around but I can’t seem to get any metal on my magnet. I even cut the oil filter open and did the same thing and still can’t pick up any metal but it sure is metallic as hell.

Last edited:
Bronze/gold speckles is usually bearing material.
My oil pressure, HOT, at 900rpm idle is 16 psi. You have plenty of oil pressure at idle. I think minimum is 7, but don't quote me on that.

I wish I could post a video on here you could really see it good when you swirl the oil around. So is monitoring the oil pressure at the ofh a good spot or should it be somewhere else

out of curiosity when you start your car cold what do your rpm’s go to before the car warms up? Mine has a q45 tb so I have problems with cold starts if it turns over with out me giving it gas, it will barley start and idle very low. like 600-300 and kinda bounce around like it’s gonna die until I give it gas, and then it will normally stay about 1100 or so cold and that’s when it shows a little more then 50psi but when it’s stumbling when I first crank it up the oil pressure is pretty low. I guess because the rpms are so low.

On two separate engines, hot, I'd be 70psi by 3500rpm with T5 10w30. Idle @950 sat around 17psi.

Both had BSE and head mod, one had OFH but the other I'm not sure about. I didn't assemble that block.
Damndest thing..

On two separate engines, hot, I'd be 70psi by 3500rpm with T5 10w30. Idle @950 sat around 17psi.

Both had BSE and head mod, one had OFH but the other I'm not sure about. I didn't assemble that block.
Damndest thing..
On this one I put the weaker spring in the ofh instead of porting like last motor. Same results. I'll take higher pressure over low. I have the kiggly hla to keep oil where it belongs

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back