The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

What is a good short throw shifter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99'EclipseGS

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 14, 2007
Woodbridge, New_Jersey
So I just went to the shop to get my car looked at cause I had a hard time getting into 1st and second and my mechanic told me that a short throw shifter was installed and it wasn't from me so obviously the previous owner, he said it must have been a cheap eBay one. So I'm looking around for other short throw shifter to repace it, any ideas for quality but at a low price. Is B&M good? What about fidanza?

haha well I made one from the stock shifter by cutting and welding it back together. Cheap too if you had access to a stock one mine works awesome and is a shorter throw then any aftermarket one ive seen. Just my .02

Love my B & M with my weighted Razo Short knob, symborski shifter stiffners and CNC machined bushings on the cables. Throws are like rifle shots. I used the 35% reduction throw

Love my B & M with my weighted Razo Short knob, symborski shifter stiffners and CNC machined bushings on the cables. Throws are like rifle shots. I used the 35% reduction throw

can you expand on this description?

I run a B&M at 50% throw reduction and love it. With prothane shifter plate bushings. Definetly worth the money. I think i got mine a VR speed factory with the bushings it was somthing like $170 shipped!!!

Your having a hard time getting it into gear and your mechanic told you it was your shifter?
Sounds funny to me even if it is a e-bay one which are identical to the b&M short throws, why would it all of the sudden become hard to get into gear.
Sounds more like a synchro problem to me.
Or maybe it just wasn't installed properly?

So I just went to the shop to get my car looked at cause I had a hard time getting into 1st and second and my mechanic told me that a short throw shifter was installed and it wasn't from me so obviously the previous owner, he said it must have been a cheap eBay one. So I'm looking around for other short throw shifter to repace it, any ideas for quality but at a low price. Is B&M good? What about fidanza?

B&M and Fidanza are both good shifters. So which ever one you can get cheaper go with that.

haha well I made one from the stock shifter by cutting and welding it back together. Cheap too if you had access to a stock one mine works awesome and is a shorter throw then any aftermarket one ive seen. Just my .02

How much did you cut out of it?

How much did you cut out of it?

I am not sure if you were to look at the factory shifter there is a curve in the middle of it i cut all the straight parts off. My shifter goes to the bottom of the stereo, maybe an inch and a half above the trim. I like it and well it was free. I also have the shifter plate bushings too.

Your having a hard time getting it into gear and your mechanic told you it was your shifter?
Sounds funny to me even if it is a e-bay one which are identical to the b&M short throws, why would it all of the sudden become hard to get into gear.
Sounds more like a synchro problem to me.
Or maybe it just wasn't installed properly?

thats what i thought it was too a synchro problem but that's not what he said, idk i'm not a mechanic =/ but i don't think it was installed properly because i been driving the car for two years and it was perfectly fine

I run a B&M at 50% throw reduction and love it. With prothane shifter plate bushings.

i had pretty much the same thing, with a weighted knob...it was aammmaazzzziiinnnggggg :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back