The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

What is a dsm considered body wise??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dxc545

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 8, 2011
Machias, Washington
I've been reading old reviews on our cars and they like to call dsm's hatchbacks. Is this correct? The thing is I don't like hatchbacks and it really bugs me that these cars can be considered a true hatchback. I see a hatchback as a roof line that extends across the rear of a car and drops down to the bumper. The mark IV supra has rear seats , body line similar to dsm's but is called a fastback coupe on Wikipedia.

fastback is like saying sporty hatchback, cause I know the supra's also have hatches... so yeah the supra's, and the dsm's are considered 2 door hatchback coupes.

Many popular sports cars are considered hatchbacks,
at least they're not referring to them as, sporty lift-gates, or sporty tailgates LOL.

It's a hatchback, but more specifically a liftback.

A fastback would have a separate trunk. The Supra fan boys are in denial.

Add'l: DSM is in the sport compact class if that makes you feel better.

Last edited:
Wiki says : A definition of a fastback by Road & Trackaddresses this distinction: "A closed body style, usually a coupe but sometimes a sedan, with a roof sloped gradually in an unbroken line from the windshield to the rear edge of the car. A fastback naturally lends itself to a hatchback configuration and many have it, but not all hatchbacks are fastbacks and vice versa."

The above R&T/wiki definition is illustrated in the below image. Neither the Supra nor the DSM seems to fit this description.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This picture of a Mustang shows a fastback style.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Add'l: anyone with a keyboard can edit Wiki :)

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 129
  • 1968_Mustang_Fastback_by_FabioAro.jpg
    1968_Mustang_Fastback_by_FabioAro.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 142
Hatchbacks let you get shove more crap in an otherwise really tiny car, too.

It is kinda funny, as I also, typically, don't care for hatchback styling. But when they design a hatch that makes it look more like a car, not a wagon, then I am ok with it!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back