The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

what is 4X4, 2x4, AWD??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4= you can toggle between 2 wheel drive, and 4 wheel drive.

2x4= When the 2 wheel drive option is selected on a 4x4(?)

AWD= Full time all wheel drive.

Go here for more

4x4 is usualy on trucks. When the 4x4 is engaged, only two tires have most of the power to them, one front and one back, unless their is a limited slip diferential involved.

2x4 is like a FWD Talon. Like a 4x4, but divided by two because the rear tires arn't spinning, only one tire will have maximum power supplied to it(hense torque steer). Both tires do have power transfered to them, but one more than the other at WOT. Because of torque steer is why many FWD DSMer's want to get an LSD installed:D

awd was outlawed on trucks along time ago....on a side hill with all the tires spinning it just slides down the hill....so like it was said before 4x4 means usually 2 wheels spin one front one back....unless limited slip is in the back....they now have lockers that u can make it so both front spin...though not recommended...

ahhhh ha just the thread i was lookin for. does anyone know what our drivetrain percentage is? like what i mean is im under the impression the rear wheels pick %60 of the load and the front is %40. i was told it was %80 in the rear to %20 in the front but that sounds a lil extreme. anybody know????????? :dsm:

4x4 = 2 or 4 wheels spin
2x4 = plank of wood
AWD = the shit

ahhhh ha just the thread i was lookin for. does anyone know what our drivetrain percentage is? like what i mean is im under the impression the rear wheels pick %60 of the load and the front is %40. i was told it was %80 in the rear to %20 in the front but that sounds a lil extreme. anybody know?????????

Originally posted by reese
awd was outlawed on trucks along time ago....on a side hill with all the tires spinning it just slides down the hill....so like it was said before 4x4 means usually 2 wheels spin one front one back....unless limited slip is in the back....they now have lockers that u can make it so both front spin...though not recommended...

AWD outlawed on trucks? WTF? how come there are GMC Syclones and Typhoons from 91 -93 w/ awd, bravadas w/ awd, the seirra C3 with awd, and the new Silvardo SS with awd?

Originally posted by Spinall4
AWD outlawed on trucks? WTF? how come there are GMC Syclones and Typhoons from 91 -93 w/ awd, bravadas w/ awd, the seirra C3 with awd, and the new Silvardo SS with awd?

I agree, if nothing you are seeing more and more SUV's with AWD rather than 2WD/4WD switches...

Originally posted by Spinall4

those are all "street" trucks...u dont be takin ur SS or typhoons off road....and the bravada is not the same awd that our car have...a max of 3 wheels spin...u just cant take it out of 4 wheel...so its labled all wheel drive

Originally posted by reese
those are all "street" trucks...u dont be takin ur SS or typhoons off road....and the bravada is not the same awd that our car have...a max of 3 wheels spin...u just cant take it out of 4 wheel...so its labled all wheel drive

I guess I could see your point on not taking a Sy or Ty off road, they did come with stickers saying not to. But that was becuse of the special exhaust system they had. But the ss or C3 are still trucks, and weather or not you take them off road has nothing to do with awd being outlawed on trucks. You're full of shit and you don't know what you're talking about. DSM's come from the factory with an open front diff, and either a viscous lsd or open in the rear, so guess what? that means you could possably only spin 2 tires(one front, on rear). If the Bravada's awd system was "just like 4 wheel except you can't take it out," it would bind up and pop when you went around corners or tried to park, just like a normal truck does in 4 wheel. Please just stop spreading misinformation.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back