The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved What intake manifold is this? (pictures)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcrtalon

Probationary Member
Oct 12, 2004
Elora, ON_Canada
Does anyone know what this intake is from? I'm not a expert, but seem like an EVO3 intake, or very similar, but the throttle body is wrong.

Scouring the internet I found an Eclipse 4G63 motor at an engine shop that looks like it has this throttle body, but I don't know if it's accurate. The turbo Link Here. I also found it may be from a Mitsubishi Chariot, but finding the info is difficult.

(I picked it up with some other stuff several years ago, but didn't pay much attention to it.)

Any help would be great!

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Yes it's a EVO 1-2-3 or RVR intake. The RVR intakes has a smaller throttle body opening (which you can make larger to match the throttle body). Looks like it came off a right hand drive.

Last edited:
If it’s off of an RVR it should have the nipple pointing out the back of the plenum towards the firewall. E3 manis don’t have that. (Or it’s vice versa. I know one has it and one doesn’t. Pretty sure it’s the RVR that has it).

Do I see a EGR hole? My EvoIII mani doesn't have that hole or maybe I have a JDM mani.
CORRECTION, yes mine does.
Here is a picture of mine. It has a plug in the back.

Is it? I always wondered. It was blocked when I got it. Thanks for clarification!

Off topic but it work kind of reverse of the EGR. Attached to the outside of the intake port is a actuator like the 1G Cyclone intake. While shift the valve opens and pumps intake air (O2 enriched) in to the exhaust per turbo for antilag. I believe Mits only made this available on their rally cars and some special models sold in England. You can find part number and what nots in Caps search the EVO platform category.

Here are corrections,
If this intake manifold and throttle body in the OP's pic are originally paired, then this intake manifold is taken from a RVR (Or a Chariot). Not early EVO's. If you guys can see the TPS and cable pulley position is actually flipped. That's the RVR layout.
The differences between EVO 1/2 and 3 intake manifold is the EVO 3's have a M16 banjo bolt hole for SAS (not EGR). And has 5 vacuum ports (Two large and three small). If you see a small vacuum port at the US driver's side (Just right next the freeze plug), that's EVO 3 intake manifold. The EVO 1/2 manifold have 4 vacuum ports. Other than those, EVO 1/2 and 3 are basically the same.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help! The throttle body opening measures 53mm. 4 total vacuum lines, but I think I understand the EVO3 had one out the end at the frost plug. Correct? Other than the throttle body opening size, are there other differences between this and an EVO3 manifold?

Thanks for the help! The throttle body opening measures 53mm. 4 total vacuum lines, but I think I understand the EVO3 had one out the end at the frost plug. Correct? Other than the throttle body opening size, are there other differences between this and an EVO3 manifold?

Besides the inlet diameter, your intake manifold is basically the same as EVO 1/2.
And the differences between the EVO 1/2 and 3 is like what I mentioned above. The EVO 3's has a hole for a M16 banjo bolt and an extra vacuum port for the secondary air system like the pics below. The EVO 1/2/3 intake manifolds have no difference on its performance.
P.S. There is an exception that the RVR "Hyper Sports Gear R" (EVO spec RVR) has the larger inlet intake manifold, it's the same intake manifold as EVO 1/2.

Thanks for the information! I did some more digging into the rvr, and this seems to be where this manifold is from. I have a few other bits that came with it that includes a 14B (I think) with a stubby pipe on the turbo pointing up to the rvrs intercooler. I also have a valve cover that says “Mitsubishi” on the top rather than 16 valve. 1 less unsolved mystery!!!

I have a few other bits that came with it that includes a 14B (I think) with a stubby pipe on the turbo pointing up to the rvrs intercooler
If that turbo is taken from the same RVR, I think the turbo is a TD04, not a TD05H 14B.

a valve cover that says “Mitsubishi” on the top rather than 16 valve.
A JDM valve cover.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back