The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G What hp to ditch the OEM Intake Manifold?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It’s not about power it’s about rpm and powerband. The stock intake wants to make peak power at 6500ish rpms. If your setup spools after 4500 rpms you’ll benefit from a longer powerband with an aftermarket intake.

My forester and kelford 272’s made peak power at 8800 rpms. This was on a late spooling turbo as well.

I did some extensive dyno testing on this, and even on a 64mm turbo the short runner intakes are not the choice for me. Im trying to get my car to leave off a 5k 2step, shift 1-2 at 9500, and still be in the power. at 5k an evo3 intake on a 6 bolt head is worth over 75hp compared to a short runner intake, and it doesn't fall off. Stock is worth more, but does fall off more after 7k.

Anyway my thoughts are a 64mm and tx272s are notn enough to use a short runner smim.

I have a Forrester and haven't tested it yet. Stock intake on an auto setup making 521 tq at 3200 now. Betting the SMIM loses a considerable amount of low and mid range. On old 20 yr Crower 272s its still making power at 7000 but started to fall. I like the total power and torque curve it has now. Can shift it 7000 all three gears and its never in a weak area.

I did some extensive dyno testing on this, and even on a 64mm turbo the short runner intakes are not the choice for me. Im trying to get my car to leave off a 5k 2step, shift 1-2 at 9500, and still be in the power. at 5k an evo3 intake on a 6 bolt head is worth over 75hp compared to a short runner intake, and it doesn't fall off. Stock is worth more, but does fall off more after 7k.

Anyway my thoughts are a 64mm and tx272s are notn enough to use a short runner smim.
I did a ton of testing 2 years ago and found a small exhaust housing, smallish cams, and short runner intake to give me the best powerband. It knocked 100hp off my peak hp at the same boost, but brought power on 1,000’s of rpms sooner in the lower gears. I ended up holding power flat from 7,000-9,000+ rpms, with peak boost at 5,200 rpms in 3rd.

This was a fp 3586htz.

The forrester seems to work better than most intakes at preserving midrange, and the top end is limitless.

With my current setup I can make 20 psi before 4,000 rpms.

I specifically set out to come up with a way to make the most power possible with low torque to keep the trans ok. I made 601 at 24psi and 400lb/ft with the 3586.

Good luck finding one. When they pop up they usually go quick. They haven’t been made for a long time. I wouldn’t recommend one for most people that have a turbo that spools at 4500 rpms or under. With a mid frame turbo it really takes an all out build to take advantage of the forrester.

IMO there is no reason to change the stock intake manifold unless you are trying to make over 1000hp. Everybody does it, doesn't mean it is right. The real limitation of the stock intake is not the plenum or runners, it's the inlet size. Good rule of thumb is tbody should match compressor ID. SO stock is 2.5" that is a 35r turbo which are capable of around 800hp in the right hands.

You next turbo up is a 37r which is 67mm I believe...again still close to that 65mm and those babies are good for around 900whp.....you see where I am going with this.

If you are interested in a Forrester, I saw Kyle Cymbas had one for sale about 2 weeks ago for $500.

OP, the fact you have an extrude honed intake is super bad ass, that manifold should perform very well, I would never get rid of that thing. It is very expensive to have that process done. I would look at somehow just getting a larger flange welded on it for a larger 70mm t-body if your plans are to go large HP.

I really learned the myth of the stock intake when I was at the SO one year at the dyno day, STM had some EVO monster that laid down 9XX WHP down on Buschur's dyno on that puny stock intake manifold. Light bulb went off right there....that part isn't that important.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back