1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1G What hp to ditch the OEM Intake Manifold?

Posted by burkgonzo, Jul 7, 2018

Please Support Jackson Auto Machine
  1. burkgonzo

burkgonzo Proven Member

Joined Oct 27, 2005
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Currently I'm running an extrude honed stocker and what point would I gain switching over to a Magnus or some other SMIM?

My DSM:
  2. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Supporting Vendor

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    When you dontd care about power under 6000, and need peak power at 10k.

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon N/T

Showcar Build

9.805 @ 144.00 MPH
  3. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    It’s not about power it’s about rpm and powerband. The stock intake wants to make peak power at 6500ish rpms. If your setup spools after 4500 rpms you’ll benefit from a longer powerband with an aftermarket intake.

My forester and kelford 272’s made peak power at 8800 rpms. This was on a late spooling turbo as well.

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

manual
  4. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    With a forrester intake, comp 272’s, and a 3076 in a .63 housing my car makes power from before 4500rpms out to 8500.

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

manual
  5. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Supporting Vendor

Joined Aug 26, 2003
    Mendota, Illinois
    I did some extensive dyno testing on this, and even on a 64mm turbo the short runner intakes are not the choice for me. Im trying to get my car to leave off a 5k 2step, shift 1-2 at 9500, and still be in the power. at 5k an evo3 intake on a 6 bolt head is worth over 75hp compared to a short runner intake, and it doesn't fall off. Stock is worth more, but does fall off more after 7k.

Anyway my thoughts are a 64mm and tx272s are notn enough to use a short runner smim.

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon N/T

Showcar Build

9.805 @ 144.00 MPH
  6. Galant665

Galant665 Proven Member

Joined Oct 1, 2004
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I have a Forrester and haven't tested it yet. Stock intake on an auto setup making 521 tq at 3200 now. Betting the SMIM loses a considerable amount of low and mid range. On old 20 yr Crower 272s its still making power at 7000 but started to fall. I like the total power and torque curve it has now. Can shift it 7000 all three gears and its never in a weak area.

7. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    I did a ton of testing 2 years ago and found a small exhaust housing, smallish cams, and short runner intake to give me the best powerband. It knocked 100hp off my peak hp at the same boost, but brought power on 1,000’s of rpms sooner in the lower gears. I ended up holding power flat from 7,000-9,000+ rpms, with peak boost at 5,200 rpms in 3rd.

This was a fp 3586htz.

The forrester seems to work better than most intakes at preserving midrange, and the top end is limitless.

With my current setup I can make 20 psi before 4,000 rpms.

I specifically set out to come up with a way to make the most power possible with low torque to keep the trans ok. I made 601 at 24psi and 400lb/ft with the 3586.

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

manual
    19gsx91 likes this.
  8. dragonov_elite

dragonov_elite Proven Member

Joined Jul 14, 2005
    La Crosse, Wisconsin
    Are the Forrester intakes still being made or are they a rare find now days? considering one for my build and have read good things about them.

My DSM:
    1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

GT30   manual
  9. donniekak

donniekak DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 23, 2008
    Surprise, Arizona
    Good luck finding one. When they pop up they usually go quick. They haven’t been made for a long time. I wouldn’t recommend one for most people that have a turbo that spools at 4500 rpms or under. With a mid frame turbo it really takes an all out build to take advantage of the forrester.

My DSM:
    1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

manual