The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

What hp/times can a stock GSX 5speed be "reliable" to?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboglenn

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 5, 2007
RIpley, West_Virginia
Just what it says, i'm doing my AWD swap and although i've been spoiled by the TRE trans the last 3 years, My stock FWD held up ok untill one day it just spit out third for no reason when torque hit.

They say the AWD's are stronger, but since my budget constraints will sstick me with a stock/used 5 speed and t-case (but car was stock it came out of which could be good)

I don't really race, but i'd love to pull a launch like i see on the web now and then, I also don't really flat shift either, maybe half lifted shifts, and i'm 95% of the time granny shifting even in a "race"just because i like to be nice to my things

what can i expect or where should i draw the line being that i need this to be reliable by means of self control until something allows me an upgrade

hp numbers are nice to know what it can handle in a 3rd gear pull WOT to redline, but also some numbers at the strip (not shifting too much like a mad man) would help too.. can 10's (HIGH ones) come from a stock 5spd? I know 11's can, but i'm chasing a 10 if i ever get back to the 1/4 mile on AWD :D

Thanks
Glenn

Glenn I think this is going to be different for everyone and the condition of the tranny. I have seen/heard of people pushing the stock tranny pretty far, and on the other had people breaking the awd tranny with basic bolt ons. So I can't really have an answer to your question.

But I can say that when I did my awd swap I got a used GSX tranny with unknown mileage on it. I have been running this tranny for about 3 years and have abused it quite a bit. On some occasions I'm surprised it hasn't broken. I have launched the car many times, and use NLTS when I race. But when I shift I take it easy and not slam gears. That's just my personal experience and hope to try hitting low 11's or even high tens later on in the future on my stock tranny.

It really depends on how well the tranny is treated. I had a completely stock 1g break a tranny that had never been taken care of.

Then again I had a built 2.3L 1g drivetrain swap in a mirage with a 20g pushing its limits and never had a single issue.

Like stated above, every car is different. A 500 whp dd should be reliable if you ensure everything is in good shape and have the supporting mods. I feel sure that's not anything new to you.

People blow up trannys because they do not know how to drive period!

Learn to drive a awd trans fast yet smooth, anything that feels harsh is harsh LOL

My stock trans bent second gear shift fork from trying to power shift with a act 2600. It also depends on what clutch you using(act is junk) since it doesnt release fast. I would use a organic twin disk like the quarter master and fit a better slave cyc. I dont know if they make a better throw out bearing for dsms but that also helps alot.

"Fast" shifting was always good third to 4th was 100 percent full throttle all the time and it was always great. But I could not do it no matter what in any other gear due to the act not releasing fast enough for my shifts. I could do it no problem with my stock clutch and im not talking about just banging gears like a moron. Just fast speed shifting. My friends evo with a twin disk was like butter!

ACT I wanna place a blame on for most dsm tranny issues! It does not release fast enough=crunched shifting+blown trannys.

My transmission was stock with around 350whp and I did beat on alot and it held up very well.

Glenn I think this is going to be different for everyone and the condition of the tranny. I have seen/heard of people pushing the stock tranny pretty far, and on the other had people breaking the awd tranny with basic bolt ons. So I can't really have an answer to your question.

But I can say that when I did my awd swap I got a used GSX tranny with unknown mileage on it. I have been running this tranny for about 3 years and have abused it quite a bit. On some occasions I'm surprised it hasn't broken. I have launched the car many times, and use NLTS when I race. But when I shift I take it easy and not slam gears. That's just my personal experience and hope to try hitting low 11's or even high tens later on in the future on my stock tranny.

Exactly because your driving it correctly!

You cannot drive a "stock" non twin disk dsm like its a T56 or a getrag:notgood:

A organic twin disk is nice because its less hard than the "race" disk. It will provide some comfort when shifting. Its always better to burn than break and its always better to spin the tires than to bog:sneaky:

If someone doesnt agree with this then please im open ears

EVIL EAGLE was in the 10s and high 9s with his stock dsm trans

I used to see him posting alot of dsmtalk with the black 1G on slicks

But im old and have been out of the scene

Cool, I really apreciate the input! I've been taking it easy as far as launching goes and just slipping the clutch out of the hole at maybe 4500 RPM, Then once i'ts engaged i'll go WOT. I granny shift the hell out of the 1-2 shift, and the same with third.

to be honest i haven't even done a full WOT 3rd gear pull yet, mainly because my FWD trans grenaded from simply going WOT from a cruising speed of 45 MPH and when i hit full spool i lost 3rd and 4th and that wasn't anything near considered "abuse"

Today it's been wet out and i've done some WOT 1-2 pulls and man all i can say is it's just plain awesome to be able to pull that kind of traction from 0-60MPH in the rain. Here and there the rear LSD would lock and more power would go to the rear causiong the car to get sideways in 2nd which was really fun too.

I don't plan on abusing the trans at all really as far as no-lift shifting and just dumping the clutch off the rev limiter out of the hole. but hell I even babied the hell out of my build TRE, but man did it shift like butter compared to going back to a stock trans (although this one seems to be in great shape which i'm happy about) The only time it's given me the slightest grinding is when i've tried to get into first or reverse too fast or without the clutch pressed all the way down., it did grind on a low RPM 1-2 shift but again that was my fault for not having the clutch all the way in.

I just couldnt' be happier for having nothing but the cost of fluids and seals into this build (and some paint for rust proofing) I love that when the speedometer says 60 in 2nd that's what i'md really doing.. on the FWD if it said 60-70, when i'd hit thirdand get grip again i'd find out i was at like 45-50 and bogging

There's nothing like some good ole traction to make the day better LOL, I will say that the pulls are a bit more boring in AWD than FWD, i no longer have to fight to keep the car on the road, it's more of a point and click affair now, and i can tell i've lost some WHP to driveline mass, but agian being able to put it all to the ground on street tires is a feeling unrivalved by any slicks i've ever ran on the front of the GST (well, the M&H racemasters were damn close to perfect)

I think my real happiness will be when the first snow flies and i can still drive around, I had no clue what i was going to do this winter having sold my bronco to a friend who needed a car (plus i couldn't really afford plating and insuring it anymore either), but as long as the snow isn't above the front bumper i think i'll be good to go, i've got some rpetty meaty all season tires on the car which should do okay in the bad weather

Weld the center diff/ VSC delete. Run good fluid.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back