The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

What Happened to the Forced Performance 18GSL2?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopwoodp

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 9, 2004
Oak Harbor, Washington
After being away from the DSM scene, I come back and see no one is selling the 18GSL2. I had just bought one before moving to Minnesota during the tail end of the FP 18g group buy.

All the EvoIII turbos were completely out of stock and MAPerformance helped me find another alternative. At the time this was a new turbo and not a lot of info was out there. It looked really good for what I needed at the time. A good streetable turbo....

So, after two years I come back on here and see some interesting post on the 18GSL2 and some problems it had. I am wondering what I missed. FP has a great rep and have no clue what happened. It seems they may have replaced the 18G with a newer td05 (compressor cover) turbo that flows 47lbs/min. I forgot the name of this new one.

Does anyone know what the deal with this is and why no one seems to be selling them?

Ok, that kinda what I thought. Does anyone know where the turbo maps for these turbos are? Did forced performance take that info down from their site?

I don't have the maps, but I've had this turbo (as well as other FP turbos) for a couple of years now. This is a great turbo. You will not be disappointed with it's performance.

Wow, I guess I have been gone too long. When I was in Minnesota I couldn't really mess with my car too much. When loading my GSX onto the auto transport, a freeze plug shot out of the block shooting coolant everywhere.

I didn't get to mess with the new turbo much. I wonder where any of the turbo maps are at. Didn't we used to have some in the tech section?

Its great to be back.

So, with the options we have today, an 18g is pointless? And does anyone know what advantage an 18gsl2 has over the regular 18g's?

So, with the options we have today, an 18g is pointless? And does anyone know what advantage an 18gsl2 has over the regular 18g's?

The SL2 has a higher exhaust flow rate (basically the 20g exhaust side) but still has a quick spool rate because of the lighter wheel on the intake side. I DD'd mine for about a year. Damn near instant spool with a full boost of 32 psi around 4200rpm. I'm sure that there's a lot better now, but for a stock frame this is still a great turbo for what it cost. Don't get me wrong. I've got plans for a 3076 (at more than twice the cost, not including a necessary manifold change), but the car is being redone for road course type use.

If I were you, I'd try it. Sell it if you don't like it. It'll be easy to sell.

So, with all that said - it still seems like a great turbo. I still don't totally understand why it isn't available anymore. How much of a better turbo in terms of spool time is the new 68hta? I see that the 68hta has a great pressure ratio. I wish I could find more technical aspects of what makes the newer turbo more superior.

Don't get me wrong. I am not complaining. More improvements to the DSM performance world is awesome! I just kinda sucks to see something so new (to me) last for only such a short time.

Does anyone have any more info on the 68hta design and turbo map?

Holy Crap! Thanks for the links! I did some searching but, didn't really know about the 68hta. I searched the 18gsl2 and didn't find a whole lot on it (mostly older post and some guys talking about shaft play).

I could see the EvoIII getting smoked by the 68hta. I just didn't know how the 18g sl2 stacks up.

Thanks Justin! Next time I will remember to "use the search feature". Like I said, I have been away for awhile...

I could see the EvoIII getting smoked by the 68hta. I just didn't know how the 18g sl2 stacks up.
The 18G-6SL2's were pretty much out of the system entirely when the 68HTA was introduced to the DSM platform. I recall a remaining few 6SL2 turbos being given to class winners at the FP-sponsored DSM Shootout a few years back.

The 18G compressor didn't really require a larger turbine in order to make power- FP proves this with the 68HTA, a compressor that can make more airflow than a 20G, using a standard unclipped TD05H turbine.

Justin, so the 18gsl2 has an 06 turbine wheel and the hta68 has a 05h - is that right? If I can remember correctly the sl2 had a slightly different 06 turbine wheel than normal.

What I want to know is what was done differently to the 68hta vs different 20g turbos (tdo5 20g and the tdo6 20g/tdo5h turbine).

I see it spools much faster, and cost about the same. Looking at the lbs per minute vs the evoIII turbo it looks like it is 43lb vs 47lbs. I wonder where the 18g and 20g fit in.

If I recall correctly (please excuse me if I'm wrong), the EvoIII has a wider range of boost vs the 18gsl2 that is only efficient in the 20psi range (20 - 28).

I can't remember if the FP 18gsl2 had an EvoIII turbine housing or not. It looks like the 68hta has a regular 7cm turbinehousing. It seems like FP kinda flipped things around with their two newer tdo5 turbos (in terms of compressor housing) - 18g - tdo6 turbine wheel, 68hta - tdo5h turbine wheel. And for such a high boost rating on the 68hta running a tdo5h turbine wheel - seems kinda limiting to me because if I remember correctly the tdo5h turbine wheel is limited in boost - ie only performs well at 43lbs. Obviously it works. I wish I knew better what they did differently.

Justin, so the 18gsl2 has an 06 turbine wheel and the hta68 has a 05h - is that right? If I can remember correctly the sl2 had a slightly different 06 turbine wheel than normal.
It had a TD06SL2 turbine, never a MHI part. This wheel was smaller than a TD06 wheel, larger than an 05H wheel, and had a totally different blade shape.
What I want to know is what was done differently to the 68hta vs different 20g turbos (tdo5 20g and the tdo6 20g/tdo5h turbine).
Compressor wheel swap- that's it. You're stuck using a j-pipe with a 68HTA, just like the 18G-6SL2.
I see it spools much faster, and cost about the same. Looking at the lbs per minute vs the evoIII turbo it looks like it is 43lb vs 47lbs. I wonder where the 18g and 20g fit in.
Evo III users rarely see above 40 lb/min. The 18G should be around 42 lb/min peak, 44 lb/min peak for the 20G in real-world situations...although some have reported high 40's from 20G's that are pushed beyond the map.
I can't remember if the FP 18gsl2 had an EvoIII turbine housing or not. It looks like the 68hta has a regular 7cm turbinehousing.
Depends what the donor turbo for a 68HTA is. If they begin with a Big 16G, it will have a standard 7cm housing....if it began as an Evo III, it will have the Evo III housing.

The 18G-6SL2 had an Evo III-spec turbine housing which was cast specifically for that turbine as you can't machine a MHI Evo III housing for larger turbine wheels.

Ok, cool. Kinda what I figured. I wonder why FP didn't use the tdo6sl2 turbine wheel on their 68hta.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back