The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

What ECU do I have?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2geclipse565

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 23, 2006
Menifee, California
I was hopeing some one could tell me a little about my ecu, Iv never opened it up before so I dont know what Im looking at. Im really trying to find out if the ecu is socketed or not. or if it looks damaged in any way. The case is just black plastic with no markings. The car its out of is a 97 gsx (see profile). about a month ago the car died randomly and had no fuel pressure and no spark. I went away for the weekend and came back three days later to diagnose it and it fired right up. Ther car ran great for a month untill yesterday it died while I was driving, now no fuel no spark. Reading through some articles Im suspecting the ecu. The driving conditions were normal both times, good temp etc. etc. What do you guys think? thoughts on the ecu? and is it socketed?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

BOTTOM

It is not socketed but looks to be a 98 or 99 ecu. The 97's came in a metal case if I have not mistaken. If I also remember the number right, that ecu is a flashable ecu.

Yes it is indeed a flashable ECU. If you give me the number code off the plastic front case, I can tell you the exact year.

It is not socketed but looks to be a 98 or 99 ecu. The 97's came in a metal case if I have not mistaken. If I also remember the number right, that ecu is a flashable ecu.

Yes it is indeed a flashable ECU. If you give me the number code off the plastic front case, I can tell you the exact year.

If your refeering to the numbers embossed in the plastic case it is PBT-GF30 if you are refering to the sticker it is missing. Also any thoughts on if this might be my problem?

I was talking about the sticker but by the numbers on the board, it is a flashable ECU so a 98 or 99. And yes it could be the problem but there could also be a few others. The ECU is a good starting point though.

JE331B156D is the right PCB revision but I can't quite read the engraved number on the top of the connector. There are two lines of numbers, the top (closest to where the wiring harness connects) is going to be a E2T number. If it's E2T68238 it's a MD359403 ECU from a 99 AWD car.

Sorry Iv had the car parked else wear and havent been able to look at the ecu. If your refering to this spot on the ecu the number is E2T73189H1 The numbers around it are EY65A and before those two is 05971. Im still not really sure what ecu this is. Judging by what you said tho Im assuming it is not an eprom ecu? if so what car is it out of?

WHAT?! WTF I was not aware those were interchangeable. This computer has been in the car since I bought it. What is really weird though is when i bought the car it ran ok but it reaaaaly slugish and guzzled gas like it was going out of style. When i bought it had a stock MAS hooked up but it had a GM maft set up in the truck. I asked why it wasnt on and they said it currently ran better with the stock MAS on it. So out of boredom I tried switching it and put the Gm Maft on and it ran sooo much better. It finally felt like it was boosting the way it was supposed to. Then about two months after that here I am with a dead galant ECU? Is this common knowledge that those ecus will work?

I wouldn't say common knowledge, but we know now.

I'm surprised it ran 'ok' with the ecu. Its probably running super lean the whole time...

As far as I know, the mirage didn't come with a 7202 flashable processor. I think its a 98/99 ecu. For your starting issue if guess its the cas.

yes the mirage that came with the plastic ecu are reflashable as well and yes you can use them on the 2gs as long as you flash the dsm rom in it

As far as I know, the mirage didn't come with a 7202 flashable processor. I think its a 98/99 ecu. For your starting issue if guess its the cas.
Cam angle sensor for no fuel no spark?? explain please

yes the mirage that came with the plastic ecu are reflashable as well and yes you can use them on the 2gs as long as you flash the dsm rom in it
I dont believe it was flashed, well it doesnt look it at least

I wouldn't say common knowledge, but we know now.

I'm surprised it ran 'ok' with the ecu. Its probably running super lean the whole time...
My wideband would show about 13 to 14 under regular driving and 10 under full boost, Kind of new to the wideband though but that was pretty much the common readings

Looks like my ecu that i removed from my stock 4g64!

As far as i understand its totally flashable just like the 98/99 gst/gsx ecu.

Possible it was flashed to stock gst/gsx settings with the maft in the tune and when you plugged it back in it actually matched the tune flashed so it ran better. :hmm:

As far as I know, the mirage didn't come with a 7202 flashable processor. I think its a 98/99 ecu.

It's hard to fake the laser etched part number on the plastic connector. That's what I looked up and found multiple references all for that ECU. It may look like a 99 DSM ECU but it's not. I'd have to put both side by side and compare both sides of the board to know if there are any part differences but the PCB revision is the same.

I dont believe it was flashed, well it doesnt look it at least

How do you tell by looking at it. You can only tell by looking at what's loaded in the flash.

Many of the flashable ecus are interchangeable.

The 4 cylinder H8 ecus are divided into two groups:
Emissions compatible / USDM

Non-emissions / JDM

A rom from the same group will most likely work in an ecu from the same group.

But there are some hardware differences that cause incompatibilities.
CPU Type: 7202 or 7203. (Just need to change definition file.)

Input / Outputs: Can be configured differently. For example Spyders use a +5v Fuel Pump Module, other DSMs use a 12v pulled to Ground Fuel Pump Relay. You can change the Pull Ups / Pull Downs around if you are handy with SMD soldering, the traces are there.

(People have been using Mirage ecus for a while, they appear to be 100% compatible.)
[But, you need to swap cases.]

As far as I know, the mirage didn't come with a 7202 flashable processor. I think its a 98/99 ecu.
CPU Type has nothing to do with car model. They start swapping cpus around 2000.
99 and less Mirages all have the 7202.
Mirages and a few others were swapped mid-year, so was most likely a supply change, rather then a design change.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back