The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

What does a guy have to do to earn some rep around here???

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelv

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 17, 2006
Columbus, Georgia
What does a guy have to do to earn some rep around here??? :confused:

I hate to complain but I bust my ass helping some newbie figure out that the car won't run right when his new shiny intercooler pipes aren't right.....or telling him what a TPS is....:beatentodeath:

Here's a couple examples of what I've posted:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/tuning-engine-management/307734-car-running-really-rich.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/301144-dyno-now-car-turns-off.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...c-mid-point-correction-factors-operation.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-tuning-ecu/298781-explaining-volumetric-efficiency.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...9-tuning-concepts-dsmlink-airflow-tables.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-tuning-ecu/298776-tuning-concepts-dsmlink-fuel-tables.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/problem-diagnosis/296159-strange-sluggish-feel-sometimes-help.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/problem-diagnosis/295490-resolved-strange-noise.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/291002-safe-boost-question.html

Now I don't just do it for rep points honestly, I really do enjoy helping out younger guys because that was something I never had coming up in the community...I learned everything the hard way. I believe in putting together strong and informative answers that can be used as a reference and a contribution to the community.

I also work hard on this forum because I truly believe it's one of the best out there as far as a positive impact in the DSM Community. I'm not going to mention any other forums, but I can't even express how negative a response you can get from a simple question.

Now, I'm not claiming to be some Wiseman or anything, but I just get annoyed when you help someone resolve a problem, or get things right for them, and they totally blow you off, and take it for granted.

Now before you guys bash on me, and say I'm being selfish and silly and all just hear me out:

I'm not posting here to gripe and complain, it's really not that. And by no means am I saying all my answers are perfect and all that. I just wanted to chat a little and start a discussion to see if there are some other guys out there who feel my fustration. (I'm sure there are)

I know I don't have many posts on here, but that is only because I try my best to only post something I feel is a positive impact to the community. I've been a member for quite a while now. Do I just need to go post crazy?
It's not like I'm asking for 5 stars or something, but heck zero points???

So basically what happens is someone looks at my posts and thinks I have no idea what I'm talking about? I dunno, maybe I'm way off or out of line here, but I'm just speaking what I feel. Somone offer some help please!! :(

I don't do what I do for reputation points!! I just enjoy the community, and I like helping people out. I would just like to see a little kick-back! ROFL

Tell me if I'm off here? If you guys have any pointers on getting my rep up, let me know what you did. Do I need to move beyond the newbie forum now?

I guess all in all, my point is use this post to remember those guys who help you out, and support reputation growth in the community. :)

Well, I'm not going to be that jack ass who recommends himself. If a moderator read this post and says so, then maybe I will.....

Heck, I feel like I've complained enough in this thread, I'm really not that type of guy.

Reading through there almost made me feel like I was in the good ol boy system... :(

I have gotten rep'd twice by a med/mod. Yet I post answers to questions all the time. Just make sure your answers are very thorough and correct. Eventually you will get a rep out of it. They don't mean much, but it is nice to see that a med/mod noticed you helping out.

I will give rep points for somebody that answers a tech question with good information. I won't give out rep points just for somebody answering a question. It depends on what the question was and how you answer it. If somebody answers a common noob question like "What is the stock boost?" or "Where do I tap iin my boost gauge?", then I won't give rep points. Because frankly those question can be answered by just about anybody no matter what their knowledge is.

I'm not saying this is the case with the OP because I haven't read any of the links you posted yet. Some people just think anything that is helpful at all should get rep points. Telling somebody what air pressure the factory recommends for tires is helpful but not worth rep points.

I hear ya brother, and I'm sorry if I sound like I'm complaining. I really hate to sound like that, but I just really enjoy this forum, and enjoy helping people where I feel I can. I don't claim to be the best, but I do have some knowledge and I do share my experience where I feel I can. I log on every morning, and go through the live posts and do my best to help guys who need it. Whether it'd be tire pressure, or advanced tuning issues. Drivetrain and Engine problems....for me it's not about the experience level, but more of just the desire to help people. Even the most advanced guys can help those guys who need it without discriminating. And yes, I know there are a lot of bone-heads out there who need to read more, but still, everyone needs help at some point.
I don't know, I just feel the will and desire to help those who need it is worth some recognition. You know? Once again, not to complain, but I hate those posts where guys make you feel stupid when you may ask a silly question.
I was once in a position where I lacked that detailed knowledge, but still had a passion to learn and love the DSM community. I seemed to always learn the hard way, and I hated when someone made me feel stupid because I just simply did not know something. Does that make sense?

If you read through my post, I do my best to be clear and informative. I just feel like maybe I do deserve some, maybe not.....I guess that's up to you. :)

All in all, I guess I will work harder for it, but I feel I'm working pretty hard right now. Also, I will venture out into the forums more, and see where I can give more accurate and detailed knowledge in a more advanced forum. Thanks for the input friend. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wanting rep points seems like a nooob thing to me anyways. What does it actually get you? To me it don't matter what your title is, what matters is your post content.

+1. It took me 4 years until I was recommended to be a wiseman. I think it's a prestigious title and it was most definitely (read: 3500+ tech posts) hard earned, yet everyday that I logged on since 2003 was to HELP people, not to earn stupid chiclets and stars. On a different note, our wiseman/mod squad has not been as active as it usually is, mostly due to life events and stuff. That being said, a handful of DSM guys can't possibly monitor, read, and rep every single post by over 80,000 members. Just be patient and the recognition is there. Besides, who cares if a mod/wiseman sees your post? if you're looking for recognition, the thanks from the person you helped is enough, right? :thumb:

im with droppinbottom & blckspo0ln on this one, rep points don't mean you know what your talking about... its the content of what you post that helps the younger guys out. i do however get frustrated when i try to help someone outside the noob forum and i can't because im still a noob/lurker and can't post in 90% of the forums or the classifieds... :toobad:

:dsm:

+1. It took me 4 years until I was recommended to be a wiseman. I think it's a prestigious title and it was most definitely (read: 3500+ tech posts) hard earned, yet everyday that I logged on since 2003 was to HELP people, not to earn stupid chiclets and stars. On a different note, our wiseman/mod squad has not been as active as it usually is, mostly due to life events and stuff. That being said, a handful of DSM guys can't possibly monitor, read, and rep every single post by over 80,000 members. Just be patient and the recognition is there. Besides, who cares if a mod/wiseman sees your post? if you're looking for recognition, the thanks from the person you helped is enough, right? :thumb:

Man I knew this was going to be seen like that. Sorry guys I agree and you're right.

I'm just going to delete this post because I hate to sound like I'm being some cry baby because I'm not. I guess it was difficult for me to make my point and I failed. Sorry about this...

Well I guess someone heard me here. Because I's got's me an upgrade from unknown to helpful. :rocks:

I understand where you guys are coming from and it's not that important, I totally agree....it's in the post content, which I take great efforts to accomplish. Anyways....

Thanks guys. :)

Man I knew this was going to be seen like that. Sorry guys I agree and you're right.

I'm just going to delete this post because I hate to sound like I'm being some cry baby because I'm not. I guess it was difficult for me to make my point and I failed. Sorry about this...

no, you didn't make an ass out of yourself. It's hard to try to communicate what you mean via the interwebz. I know EXACTLY how you feel and I'm sure there are many more that feel the same. I take it as a nice reminder that maybe I'm not giving out as many points as I should be, so thanks for the heads up . Anyway, I wouldn't feel bad. Go out, help our fellow DSMers, and the good things come in the end :rocks:

I think people that get an answer to their question should recommend/ the helpful people for rep. Even if you just see a helpful post (not necessarily helpful to you), you should recommend the person for rep. I know I always forget to do this...so it's not all the admins' faults for forgetting to give points out.

I think the rep system should be done away with. I argued about not getting rep points sometime last year. Heres the problem. When it first started it got abused BADLY. And some newbs made agreements to give each other rep points, so they now have 4 tabs, while other who are EXTREMELY knowledgeable have 1 or a gray tab.

I tell you this. The quickest way I got rep points were for my tech articles. FULL walkthroughs with pics of every part before and after removal. Even locations of bolts and their size. Look up my FWD Clutch install article. You can't get any thorough then that WITHOUT a video. Which is my next step.

I don't think you have any reason to appologize. It can be fustrating sometimes. I think what makes it worth while to me is when I know that something I said helps a member. Sometimes I can be controversal and go against the grain of others but that is also what I like about this forum. Old saying goes there is more than one way to skin a cat and same for working/tuning a car. Different methods work for different people.

In that case I think I should have more rep points for some of my posts, I help people all the time, I try to type in a readable manner,and Ive even occasionally posted pics and vids in aid of my posts. but I dont really care if Im repped or not. I figure as long as I dont get any gray or red boxes or any warnings and as long as people ackwoledge my posts and see that I try and that at least half of my ramblings are helpful etc then Im ok with that. But if theres some kind of reward for getting more reps like a free part or something then hey I need some rep points :)

I don't think you have any reason to appologize. It can be fustrating sometimes. I think what makes it worth while to me is when I know that something I said helps a member. Sometimes I can be controversal and go against the grain of others but that is also what I like about this forum. Old saying goes there is more than one way to skin a cat and same for working/tuning a car. Different methods work for different people.
PERFECT EXAMPLE!!!!

How the crap can you have only one green tab and have a 429 AWHP car. (BTW dude, what's with you ET? Go to back to the track already).

back when users could give out rep, I posted a thread about how defiant needs to CTFO in the hangout thread, since he was closing threads left and right, and everyone went nuts giving me rep.

but I don't think that will really help your situation much, other than the fact that this thread won't get closed now, HAHAHAHA

How the crap can you have only one green tab and have a 429 AWHP car.

*cough*EH HEM*cough*

its pronounced CHICKLET, not tab,... (god newb, get it right :rolleyes:)

anyone who actually takes /\ that /\ serious, wow,... just wow,...

I couldn't have said it better. The recognition may not happen for a while. Be patient and if you are consistent, helpful and detailed members, mods and wisemen will notice you and it'll come to you. A simple thank you from another member has always been enough for me. Even though I'm busy with work, school work and flying, I still find time to come online and participate on the boards but all the wisemen or mods on here can't look at every post.

I got a rep point for posting my strut tower rust repair photos in detail, along with an explaination how I did it. Not only did a mod notice, but I got a bunch of "thank you's" from members on this board. That felt good knowing I helped out the community and got recognized for it.

Keep helping others the best you know how, and I'm certain you will get the respect you deserve.

may I have a rep for this post? LOL jkkkkkk

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back