The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

What do you use to tow your race car/weekend warrior?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coming from a superduty owner - there good trucks to a point , well maintained they will run 500,000 miles ive seen several of them with miles like that at auctions - Fords do have issues tho, like the plastic bleeder valve on the backside of the fuel filter bowl - wiring harness problems with the valve cover harnesses - i had to replace both of mine - fords genius engineering having unprotected wires under the valve covers so the oil can mess them up, other than small quirks like those and some others fords are good as long as their maintained well like our dsms - if you get one thats been abused you'll find out about it eventually -
Just take your time , do some research and check whatever truck you look at over extremely well -ask if they have maintenance records and if its from a private owner ask him tons of questions - as any vehicle you would buy:thumb:
Oh and one last thing if you do go with a ford get the 7.3 i did 3 years of research and waiting to find the right truck - the 6.0s are notorious for bad heads and headgaskets i have 2 frinds with them and 1 buddy is on his 2nd set of heads and the other on his 3rd - fords had a bad problem with them and the factory warranty wont cover them - i have a friend with a machine shop that always has 2 or 3 sets of the 6.0 heads there because their so common for problems-

To the OP, everyone would love a diesel to tow their car but they are pricey. It sounds like you have a bit of a budget. If you don't want to spend most of your money on your tow rig, i think you should reconsider a diesel. They are great trucks and are made tough, but they're pricey. When diesels have driveability issues, they are not cheap. Injectors for them can cost around $500-800 each sometimes and my buddy that is a Ford Diesel master tech see's plenty of trucks that need all of them replaced. Trust me, there are enough issues with those trucks to keep him busy and living well. I hear the same as above that the 6.0L powerstrokes are problem childs. A newer 7.3 power stroke will probably run you a lot more money.

What i hear is that cummins makes a good diesel weather there older 12 valve or the newer 24 valve, but then you have to worry about a junk auto trans. I drive a diesel roll back truck and yeah, just like a diesel pick up, if you have a DSM on there you can't even feel it back there. Hell, unless i have a large SUV or pick up on the roll back i don't even feel it. I have to check my mirrors to remember if i have a car back there most of the time.

Diesel ftw with any towing situation. I think that would be my route, for a DD truck and a tow truck. Diesel truck+programmer=some amazing things. I towed my pile a couple times with my GF's dad's truck, which is a '07 2500HD. That thing just brushes off my tiny car on the back. I don't see a point in owning a gasoline truck, as it will get nearly identical mileage as a diesel either way. Like I said, a programmer on a diesel does wonders for mpg's and power.

If you got the money hell yeah. It's like a engine build, if you need new rings, you're going to put back forged internals when you go back together, IF you can afford it. I lust for diesel trucks all the time, but when i see expensive diesel repair bills it stops real quick. My truck is problem free and for the occasional car trailer, it does ok. If it were more regular i would want a diesel, but since it's not too often, i'm just going to look for a lighter trailer. There are good sides to having gas powered pick ups.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back