The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Hood Hump [Merged 7-7] bump lump bulge goiter mound

What Do You Think Of The Bump?

• I love it, its not a DSM unless it has a bump

Votes: 169 83.7%
  • Its kewl, the women like it

Votes: 24 11.9%
  • Blah, Mitsu should have never put it there

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I Hate it, its embarassing

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I wanted to go for a sleeper look and i want to buy a n/a hood (ya the one without the bump) for my 1g (4g63T) dsm. Anyone ever tried it? Can i shim up the back of the hood and take off the upper timing belt cover to make it fit?

Thanks!

I did some research a and found that the 89-90 base models came bumpless. On the 4g63, if you take off the upper timing belt cover you have about 1" of clearance, and i just might shim up the back a bit to give a little more room. sleeper ftw

You could measure the hump from underneath the hood to see how much clearance you would need. I don't think it will help much in the "sleeper look" department, in my own opinion. Especially, since almost all 1g's have a hump and you have a Talon Tsi.

Now, if you were to strip your car down to look like a base 1.8 Eclipse or Laser, that would look sleeper.

stock look w/e I have the full 3" tbe with stock muffler tips welded on, will get wingless hatch, and gonna hide the fmic as best i can, black it out etc.

if you choose to go this route, just my two pennies, but check your motor mounts too. If you only have about 1" without the upper timing belt cover, a decent engine rock on old stock mounts could make some sweet grinding noises off your hood. of course that could add to the sleeper effect. ha. :)

^^^ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL^^^^

I think i just pissed myself, that was hilarious.

No, i have all the prothane mounts in. might have to get my hammer on and "clearance" this hood

haha "clearance" haha

honestly though, i've never actually seen one of the flat hoods except in a catalog, what kind of under supports do they have in the area in question?

In my other alter-ego as a hot rod guy, I have trimmed some supports with a dremel or die grinder and used some fusor ot other auto body glue to stick things back together... just remember where you trimmed, if you had to, when you wash the car... oilcan on a straight hood is enough to make you toss your "clearance" tool through a windshield :)

I really wouldn't risk it. Just from eyeballing where the timing belt sits on mine, I wouldn't be comfortable 1) Running no upper timing cover 2) Having only 1" from the hood. Hit a big enough bump, and it's all over. Just get an OEM Carbon Fiber hood from HiRev Performance, paint it the stock color, get all CF body panels that your comfortable with and paint them the cars color, remove the spoiler, black out the Intercooler, put "DL" badges on it if it's a talon, or find some custom "1.8l" badges from a Honda and put them on your car.

You'll really regret running no timing cover.

2) Having only 1" from the hood. Hit a big enough bump, and it's all over. Just get an OEM Carbon Fiber hood from HiRev Performance, paint it the stock color, get all CF body panels that your comfortable with and paint them the cars color, remove the spoiler, black out the Intercooler, put "DL" badges on it if it's a talon, or find some custom "1.8l" badges from a Honda and put them on your car.

You'll really regret running no timing cover.

Fill me in, would hitting a bump really cause the engine to move? I thought the motor was mounted to the front subframe and would not move from bumpage. I guess I can see if the oil pan were to bottom out how it could pose a prob. Just wondering if there is something i'm overlooking.

And as forthe CF panels, I wish I could afford all of that. LOL I would have to miss a few months house payments to bankroll that :)

I had a DL back in college... Unwythe is right... no body assumes (from looks) it will do much of anything... :) Oh please don't attack if any 1.8 guys are watching...:)

oh, and the stock 14" steel wheels with crummy hubcaps I had on my DL would take you straight to the top of "sleeper" status... ROFL

Fill me in, would hitting a bump really cause the engine to move? I thought the motor was mounted to the front subframe and would not move from bumpage. I guess I can see if the oil pan were to bottom out how it could pose a prob. Just wondering if there is something i'm overlooking.

And as forthe CF panels, I wish I could afford all of that. LOL I would have to miss a few months house payments to bankroll that :)

I had a DL back in college... Unwythe is right... no body assumes (from looks) it will do much of anything... :) Oh please don't attack if any 1.8 guys are watching...:)

Hahahaha, I'm not worried about the engine moving. It's mounted in their pretty rock solid. The thing I'm worried about is how much movement that hood will be doing. Don't forget, the headshielding material on the bottom of the hood as well. Without it your paint will melt off, and with it you run the chance of it catching in the timing belt and there goes your motor.

Just stick to the turbo hood, throw on some steelies, take all the turbo identifying marks off, slap on some Talon DS 1.8l badges, and call it a day. If you really want to push the sleeper envelope, start considering a new paint scheme. Mismatched bumpers, primered body, painting the exhaust in a rust color paint. I can go on for days.

It is not worth doing the grinding idea as 1) all 1g's have the hump, even the 1.8 models, and 2) it's not worth taking off the timing cover and risk your timing to jump, anything in this world can happen. Like they said in the post above, remove your body panels and make it look like a 1.8 and that should take care of the sleeper look.
I have no timing cover on my car on top or below the motor when i bought the car and im scared to even take the car down the block, i hate risking it, i'm very cautious with my car and as soon as i get money im ordering my timing covers asap. If something does ever happen to your timing and your head goes don't say we didn't warn you.. Good luck.

It is not worth doing the grinding idea as 1) all 1g's have the hump, even the 1.8 models, and 2) it's not worth taking off the timing cover and risk your timing to jump, anything in this world can happen. Like they said in the post above, remove your body panels and make it look like a 1.8 and that should take care of the sleeper look.
I have no timing cover on my car on top or below the motor when i bought the car and im scared to even take the car down the block, i hate risking it, i'm very cautious with my car and as soon as i get money im ordering my timing covers asap. If something does ever happen to your timing and your head goes don't say we didn't warn you.. Good luck.

I agree with you, on everything but what is highlighted in bold. The 89-91 base model 1.8l's, came with a hood that had no timing cover bump(the 4G37 doesn't stick up enough to even touch the hood). I know, I freaked out when I first saw one too, because I thought(like you) that all 1G's came with a bump.

Honestly, in 10 years, I think you'll regret doing it, and not just the hood, but anything else you do to your car to make it look "sleeper" might end up being permanent, especially if you ever have to move or anything as those parts you removed may end up breaking (many become brittle with age). If anything, be proud you have a TSi or GSX, especially an early 1g. So many people have totaled theirs that the number of them is quickly falling. Not to mention that you really can't even get the rocker TSi stickers anymore. On top of that, there's barely anyone who knows what a Talon is anymore, and only recognize eclipse because it's still in production and that's the name our cars are under in every tuner-racing game. If you wanna be sleeper, just hide your mods (like blacking out the ic), but don't go so far as to make it look bad or risk your motor. Just my .02

Hahahaha, I'm not worried about the engine moving. It's mounted in their pretty rock solid. The thing I'm worried about is how much movement that hood will be doing. Don't forget, the headshielding material on the bottom of the hood as well. Without it your paint will melt off, and with it you run the chance of it catching in the timing belt and there goes your motor.

Good call,didn't give much thought to the heat shielding as my car no longer has it... i was assuming if he was boneyard shopping he wouldn't either...

also, dsmj89, I do believe OP is correct in saying that the early 1.8's had no hump. Later base models did, but I believe the early ones were available without... ah, took too long to type.... wythe got in first. :p

nuclearr, i thought the top of the hood was actually in an almost neutral pressure area... would any amount of significant down force even be present?

Honestly, in 10 years, I think you'll regret doing it, and not just the hood, but anything else you do to your car to make it look "sleeper" might end up being permanent, especially if you ever have to move or anything as those parts you removed may end up breaking (many become brittle with age). If anything, be proud you have a TSi or GSX, especially an early 1g. So many people have totaled theirs that the number of them is quickly falling. Not to mention that you really can't even get the rocker TSi stickers anymore. On top of that, there's barely anyone who knows what a Talon is anymore, and only recognize eclipse because it's still in production and that's the name our cars are under in every tuner-racing game. If you wanna be sleeper, just hide your mods (like blacking out the ic), but don't go so far as to make it look bad or risk your motor. Just my .02

x2 on the 1g love and sage fatherly advice.... :)

Good call,didn't give much thought to the heat shielding as my car no longer has it... i was assuming if he was boneyard shopping he wouldn't either...

also, dsmj89, I do believe OP is correct in saying that the early 1.8's had no hump. Later base models did, but I believe the early ones were available without... ah, took too long to type.... wythe got in first. :p

nuclearr, i thought the top of the hood was actually in an almost neutral pressure area... would any amount of significant down force even be present?

Not downforce, so much as a large enough bump or a pothole deep enough to make the hood slam down.

i guess unwythe, but I'm not sure if i'm sold...

I think OP halffast may have gotten bored and took off... :)

Just for the record, I will be leaving my stock "humper" on my 1g. I just love a hypothetical "could I do it" thread.

I would have to say though, if you are still out there OP, that the Hump will look best IMHO. It has been said a few times that the hump is standard on MOST 1g's, so changing it will not separate a "sleeper" from a "waker????".

Honestly is there any other stock vehicle on the road that has to change body lines to add room for their engine?????

They all have the hump.turbo or non,even the 1.8 cars have the hump!!

Here is a picture of my old "free" 1.8 liter, do you see any hump?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

As far as using it on a turbo model, I'm not sure if it will fit.
But here is a 1.8 engine bay.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also do recall seeing a 1g with no hump in a junkyard last year but to clarify and re-state i tried to mean that the majority of 1g have the hump.

Being honest, our cars are old, and everyone knows our cars have the hood "hump" by now. So as far as the sleeper look, I don't think it'll fool anyone. Even the 420a 2g's have the hump and their timing belt's not even on the same side... I'd say don't do it. :cool:

So as far as the sleeper look, I don't think it'll fool anyone. Even the 420a 2g's have the hump and their timing belt's not even on the same side... I'd say don't do it. :cool:

hahaha excellent observation. ROFL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back