The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

what do you think about this masterpower turbo

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Couple years ago I had a friend who had purchased one of these MP turbos. It lasted about 120 miles. He attempted to get it fixed under warranty but it was to much of a PITA so he just scrapped it and picked up a Garrett.

I would say pay the extra money for a quality turbo now and save yourself the headaches in the longrun.

thanks for your concern band3d.my car is ready for big power as well as i am.i do have a cage and safety equipment.i am almost %100 my car will brake at some point.its not my only car so i will be ok on that aspect.i completely understand how my car works.thats why i have spent so much time and money into buying nice parts and building the car myself.but my car has been off the road and track for to long and i want to go fast and race.the only thing left is a turbo. its easy to find a t3 turbo that will support 550whp but to find one that will support 750whp+ is a little bit harder.thats why i made this post because i thought i may have found that turbo.maybe you guys think there is a reliability issue with masterpower turbos or maybe you think the are not efficient.the funny this is when i asked some of the mustang guys they were complete opposite. they liked the masterpower turbos.and talked good about them.the holset turbos come with the same warranty as the masterpower turbos.i am still leaning towards the masterpower turbo.sorry

I don't think many mustangs have seen 800whp with this turbo? Every source has told me that for such power these mustangs run the q-trim turbine wheel or bigger.

I don't think a warranty issue will develop. I think a results issue will.

MasterPower t76 p-trim turbo charger maxes out at 707whp with a 360ci motor. Interestingly, there is an ls1 forum sponser claiming that he has the only MP t76 in the world. . . Everything you read in the internet should be taken with a grain of salt (and a shot of tequila). This includes mustang guys, us, and the above link. You're not going to really know unless you run this or know someone who has. But I CAN tell you for certain. That turbine wheel is pathetically undersized for it's compressor. And this will create more lag than a larger turbine wheel. And an undersized turbine performs worse than if it were coupled to a smaller compressor. This is from my experience from the class act 60-1 with a t3 stage 3 (t31) turbine wheel.

I don't think many mustangs have seen 800whp with this turbo? Every source has told me that for such power these mustangs run the q-trim turbine wheel or bigger.

I don't think a warranty issue will develop. I think a results issue will.

MasterPower t76 p-trim turbo charger maxes out at 707whp with a 360ci motor. Interestingly, there is an ls1 forum sponser claiming that he has the only MP t76 in the world. . . Everything you read in the internet should be taken with a grain of salt (and a shot of tequila). This includes mustang guys, us, and the above link. You're not going to really know unless you run this or know someone who has. But I CAN tell you for certain. That turbine wheel is pathetically undersized for it's compressor. And this will create more lag than a larger turbine wheel. And an undersized turbine performs worse than if it were coupled to a smaller compressor. This is from my experience from the class act 60-1 with a t3 stage 3 (t31) turbine wheel.

there must be something wrong with the setup on that ls1.that only made 651whp on the mp t70. Yusuf Begic made 700awhp on a 4g63 with a mp t70.

i ordered the master power turbo so we will all find out what it will do.the dealer is close to me so i may just pick it up.i will save my money for next season and buy a t4 manifold and a better turbo but i will use the masterpower turbo for now.

You just read his parts list. You're suggesting a junkyard semi truck turbo now.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I never though Master Power was that bad.
...and YOU'RE suggesting to use a turbo of questionable quality versus a Holset which can provide years and possibly millions of trouble-free miles of use on a Semi which could probably be acquired for 1/3rd the price?

...and YOU'RE suggesting to use a turbo of questionable quality versus a Holset which can provide years and possibly millions of trouble-free miles of use on a Semi which could probably be acquired for 1/3rd the price?

just like what you did by testing out the ebay turbo i will be testing out the masterpower turbo.i have no problem with holset but i will save a few hunderd dollars now and save later for a better setup.

just like what you did by testing out the ebay turbo i will be testing out the masterpower turbo.i have no problem with holset but i will save a few hunderd dollars now and save later for a better setup.

How much are you going to boost on it? Let us know how it turns out. I still do not regret selling my masterpower 50 trim for this ts06 20G :thumb:

How much are you going to boost on it? Let us know how it turns out. I still do not regret selling my masterpower 50 trim for this ts06 20G :thumb:

i will keep turning the boost up as long as it makes power. and i will keep you guys up to date

I hope your results are better than the test I did.

My point was that you could probably score a used Holset from a wrecked truck with plenty of life left in it for far less than what the MasterPower would cost, plus it may end up being more reliable.

But if the MasterPower gives out, you can always go to a Holset at a later date.

He'll learn, Justin. I mean how many miles do you put on an 850whp 4-cylinder LOL .

How so? The new hx52 outflows and costs 825. And any used holset is not expensive. New turbos are as over rated as new cars, the evo3 16g, greddy, 280 cams, and new real estate. The MP t76 will last forever within the flow of the p-trim. Once you start to overrev to compensate for the tiny turbine (which is huge to the rest of us), you'll be looking. And by the way, the superback tech, turbine wheel casting strength, and overengineered bearings of a holset is what you want if you want to overrev a turbo in the first place. No turbo stands more abuse than a holset which sees compressor surge with a diesel when it begins pulling, then see overrev when the trailer is moving.

By a Borg-Warner S372. You're setup has been build well, right? Is this true? or did you opt for the same odds elsewhere, too?. . . You need beef. The BW s37* is for you. It's not like they arn't proven and affordable. If you're trying to save a few hundred bones, why the Full Race exhaust manifold, aem ems, stage4 shep tranny, twin disc clutch, and ported 1G head? Others have done more with less. Because they properly chose a turbo.

He'll learn, Justin. I mean how many miles do you put on an 850whp 4-cylinder LOL .

How so? The new hx52 outflows and costs 825. And any used holset is not expensive. New turbos are as over rated as new cars, the evo3 16g, greddy, 280 cams, and new real estate. The MP t76 will last forever within the flow of the p-trim. Once you start to overrev to compensate for the tiny turbine (which is huge to the rest of us), you'll be looking. And by the way, the superback tech, turbine wheel casting strength, and overengineered bearings of a holset is what you want if you want to overrev a turbo in the first place. No turbo stands more abuse than a holset which sees compressor surge with a diesel when it begins pulling, then see overrev when the trailer is moving.

By a Borg-Warner S372. You're setup has been build well, right? Is this true? or did you opt for the same odds elsewhere, too?. . . You need beef. The BW s37* is for you. It's not like they arn't proven and affordable. If you're trying to save a few hundred bones, why the Full Race exhaust manifold, aem ems, stage4 shep tranny, twin disc clutch, and ported 1G head? Others have done more with less. Because they properly chose a turbo.

sorry i couldent find any hx-52 that would bolt to my manifold for 825. i will get a better turbo after i go to a few races and the track is shut down. but for now i am running the masterpower turbo. and i am not intrested in buying a used turbo. you can buy all the used turbos you want. but they are not for me.

I'm not suggesting shit.

A link to real reviews of the questioned turbo brand and asking why someone would suggest going to the junkyard for a turbo with that kind of modlist?

What is real? You have no more reality to provide than anyone else. Why point out that there are no real reviews when you don't know the reviews are real any more than the next. There are two sides. And BOTH have legitimate arguements. Don't roll your eyes at what's proven without being shown by someone who can't prove otherwise. Proof: the hx52 spools very fast for a 2.0L motor and 'dis turbo has never seen the light of 750whp.

He could have gotten all his other parts from a junk yard. I've seen shep tranny's sit there and the clutch fork rust. I've seen an eprom ecu with even a socket job rot in the sun because no one thought it would run in there car (there's no chip on the socket! give me an break!!!). I've seen a big compressor fall short because of a short turbine wheel. I've seen a big turbine wheel spool faster than anyone would think because the owner built a decent motor. Albeit from a 600whp worthy motor from a pile of parts I can find in my local pick and pull. Does that make junkyard parts any less reliable? a few thousand miles on a reliable product doesn't matter, does it? You're bright enough to understand that superback tech and the other money invested in oem research is much higher than what Masterpower invested in copying an old pair of garrett wheels and center housing.

Think twice before you post flexing you scientific prowess. Been there, done that. I've also witnessed my own theories go up in literal smoke. Big turbos come with big decisions. Big decisions don't involve cutting corners. This turbo is a tight corner that no 4 cylinder can cut. There is no p-trim turbo with the horsepower potential the OP wishes.

No one has reached his goal with such a turbo and this man should consider himself a pioneer. But considering the investment, I would think he would have not take the 'road less traveled'. You see, from a lesson in ol' Experience, poets don't really have very fast cars. Pretty words in your engine bay are for naught.

No where did I put down a Holset unit, I questioned the recommendation of going to the junkyard to get one. Especially for someone with that mod list.

Don't get me wrong at all. My car is budget to the max and I have zero vendor purchased parts. I'd run a Holset personally if I wasn't having so much fun with this 50 dollar 16g. So spare me the Holset info, I read all 4 huge threads. I get it. All I'm saying is someone with that modlist like the OP's should just buy new instead of hunting the junkyards for that all so important component.

You either misread me or you're one of those guys that love to argue on the internet over nothing. If it's the latter, I really want no part of it.

You havn't been that kind of guy. Thus the response. I frequent here too much to not see that. But no matter. I am proud that you will take the high road.

And don't you worry yourself even a little. I won't even quite disclose the details of the the holsets in this thread. I don't want their used prices to soar higher than they already have in recent weeks. I'm afraid I've released a little too much in the past weekend. . .

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back